"I believe that if you can pull off the above advice, you have a really strong chance"

Status
Not open for further replies.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
I'd submitted my first two novels of a series (the third is in beta right now). Four paragraphs of advice on my novels from my publisher, regarding the story arc, the characters, the structure, and the plots of future books, most of which I can understand, though it will take some tough changes.

"Your best bet is to figure out exactly the genre of the stories...historical fiction with a magic brooch, historical fantasy, or paranormal fiction."

The closing line:

"I believe that if you can pull off the above advice, you have a really strong chance at setting a trend. But it's just not ready yet."

Is this a rejection? Or a request to change and resubmit? This is my second submission ever, so I'm hopelessly clueless.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like a request for you to revise, but if you're not sure and you plan to make the revisions, send an e-mail thanking them for the notes and say something like, "I'll be happy to send this to you after I've revised this." It will give them a chance to say no if they aren't interested, and to make you look gracious and open to revision.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I'm confused because you say "my publisher." Could you clarify...are subbing a new work to a publisher with whom you have other work and therefore an established relationship? If so, I should think a phone call or email to them could get your question answered.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
You have a relationship with the publisher. If you're unclear on exactly what they mean, just talk to them!

They're not evil monsters and they won't bite your head off over a simple question.

Cass Scotka

Registered
Reaction score
Agreed with what was previously said. If you have an established relationship with the publisher, just ask for clarification. It never hurts to ask, but it can hurt to not.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
Ask them. It actually sounds good as you already have a successful history with them. If they didn't know you, I'd take it as a gentle rejection with the raising of hopes they hope you take elsewhere ("just not ready yet"), but in your case I'd be encouraged to ask.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
"Your best bet is to figure out exactly the genre of the stories.

The key nugget of advice, for you and for all the rest of us. On one hand, we all get encouragement, to abuse a cliché, to "write outside the box". On the other hand, you damn well better be inside one of the recognizable boxes when it comes to submission for publication. Agents and publishers are always on the lookout for something new and different, just like X, Y and Z.

Why? Because X, Y and Z sell, and "outside the box" doesn't.

caw

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
I heard back from my publisher.

"You have a good base here but don't be in such a rush to publish that you end up hurting yourself and the chance for this series to be amazeballs.

And yes, per your other email, if you get this dialed in, we most certainly want to see it!"

Blacbird - she basically told me that yes, it's great to think outside the box, but you also need to be commercially viable. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.