Spiderman Joins the Marvel Cinematic Universe!

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As you know by now, Marvel and Sony have struck an agreement that will bring Spider-Man into the Marvel cinematic universe. Many details were left out of the announcement, but more information is spilling out here and there.
The announcement states, "The new Spider-Man will first appear in a Marvel film from Marvel's Cinematic Universe," but it doesn't say which film. This is where The Wall Street Journal has stepped in with a new report confirming a Spidey appearance in Captain America 3:

http://comicbook.com/2015/02/10/spider-man-to-appear-in-captain-america-civil-war-sinister-six-d/

But...Sony still keeps the web-head rights, but will also work with Marvel. This deal may see other Marvel hero's guest starring in Spidey movies, as well.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see who their new Spider-man ends up being.

I thought the first guy wasn't a great Spider-Man, but he got the Peter Parker stuff pretty well.

Second guy was the opposite - a great wisecracking Spidey who never really sold me as a nerdy, hard-luck high schooler.

Wonder if with Marvel's help they can find the right balance this time.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
They might decide to steer clear of Peter Parker completely and go with another Spidey to differentiate the franchises.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
They might decide to steer clear of Peter Parker completely and go with another Spidey to differentiate the franchises.
I would be okay with that.

But given that they're introducing him in Civil War, I find it unfortunately unlikely. (That and the backlash would be a storm to behold.)

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
i was excited until I saw that Garfield was out.

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
A new Spider-man? Again?? Arrrghh.... I'm really liking Garfield and would want him to stick around but they've sort of dealt with the majority of his (famous) storylines between Garfield and Maguire so it kinda makes sense. Like bring in Black Cat or something. (i.e. also for more female diversity while we're at it)

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
It's weird. I'm almost disappointed. I'm not entirely sure why.

Maybe it's because, with Marvel's most popular franchises tangled up with outside licenses, it has had to be creative and fun and imaginative with more challenging, more interesting, less slam dunk characters.

If Marvel had actually owned the movie rights to Spider-Man and the X-Men for the last decade or so, would it *ever* have bothered making movies or TV shows about any of its other, more obscure, less lucrative properties?

Would "Guardians of the Galaxy" or "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." Or "Iron Man" have even happened?

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Now, if only Fox would join in the fun and free up the X-Men.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
As a non-comic-reading fan of these movies, I feel like too many "obscure" or less-known superheroes will test my saturation. Maybe not.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Now, if only Fox would join in the fun and free up the X-Men.

Never say never, but Fox is thriving (number
one studio of 2014) as is the X-Men franchise. Sony is stumbling as a whole, and the Amazing reboot has been a disappointment. So Sony needs Marvel and Marvel knows it; this likely would not have happened if Sony had a successful year.

But I bet Fox is paying attention.

HeavilyMedicated

Registered
Reaction score
He's one of my faves, so I am OK with this. I will be annoyed if they do another origin though.

I'm glad they're re-casting. I don't think I've liked Andrew Garfield in anything.

If you're talking about Miles Morales, he's awesome so I'd hardly be upset if they used him but I'd be surprised if it happened.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
It's weird. I'm almost disappointed. I'm not entirely sure why.
You're not the only one.

I'm trying to be excited because I have a lot of friends who really like Spider-Man. But when the news came out about the movie shift, all I could think was "Sure, I guess the movies about the Inhumans, or Black Panther, or Captain Marvel will probably be cool. But you know what the world *really* needs? Another Spider-Man movie. ASAP. That's fresh and exciting."

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
I'm actually really intrigued by this deal. The bump in the rest of the Marvel slate is slightly upsetting, but also the best logical move.

IGN had an article about some of the details of the deal. http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/02/10/it-cost-marvel-zero-dollars-to-get-spider-man

The two things that prove the most interesting is that this may be a first step in a long game plan to reacquire Spider-Man rights permanently by purchasing Sony Pictures should it go on the market. It may be a very long shot, but the idea is interesting and in line with a move Disney may make.

As for X-Men joining up with Marvel, it is so unlikely considering their movies tend to fall on the success side. They are even hoping to build out into an X-Men TV show. http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/x-men-tv-live-action-series-fox-marvel-1201415289/ That however I think will also be very unlikely. Marvel holds all the TV rights and I'm not sure why they would want to hand those over too, unless they will make some profits and certain deals with the movies are made. (IE Allowing specific characters to crossover. Or references to mutants to exist.)

The other interesting thing about the entire situation is the new state of Captain America: Civil War. It was previously assumed that T'Challa (Black Panther) may be stepping in to act as proxy for Spider-Man's role in the Civil War story. Now that Spider-Man is back in the picture, where does that leave T'Challa? Was he always in a separate role unrelated to being the unmasker?

ManInBlack

Registered
Reaction score
Website
williamsilvia.net
The strangest thing about all this to me is that Spider-Man's first crossover will be with neither Wolverine (whom I saw with Spidey a lot in '90s) nor the Fantastic Four (his original team-up). Still, this is perfect timing when you consider that he was on an Avengers team with the Winter Soldier, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Dr. Strange... Thing and Wolverine. Bah.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Considering Wolverine's affiliation with multiple teams, I'm surprised there's not some dispute over character use like with Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. Yes, he's an X-man, but he's also an Avenger and has ties to the origin of Alpha Flight. It seems like multiple studios could have a claim on the character, even if they don't use Hugh Jackman. (Who, after seeing Night at the Museum 3 will forever be Huge Ackerman to me :D )

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I was more imagining Wolvie meandering through the Avenger-verse.

Tony vs Logan = tin can vs can opener. :D

I could go my whole life without seeing that.

For decades Wolverine has been Marvel's ketchup. They want to put him in everything.

And as with ketchup, everything ends up tasting vaguely the same.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

If they do, I won't even bother to watch it.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I could go my whole life without seeing that.

For decades Wolverine has been Marvel's ketchup. They want to put him in everything.

And as with ketchup, everything ends up tasting vaguely the same.

Sony was desperate to find out a way to make this work because the shitstorm that was Amazing Spider-Man 2 was proof it wasn't. It's a good deal for them because anyone who thinks Sony is calling the shots and Marvel is just helping them come up with a Spider-Man that doesn't suck is delusional.

Marvel gets its hands back on one of their Big Guns and now they can integrate the friendly neighborhood Spider-Man into The Avengers and other films. There isn't a gym in Hollywood that doesn't have 20-somethings whose features are boyish enough to play younger whom aren't gulping down egg whites and slammin' the weights around looking to score an eight-picture deal to crawl up walls.