Ask a publisher

JanetW

Brokeneyes
Registered
Reaction score
I have received another request for my MS, both are interested, BUT, one is taking their time and the other wants to talk. How bad is it to email the other publisher and ask how things are going? What is protocol for something like this? Do I let them know that I have another publisher interested?

JanetW

Brokeneyes
Registered
Reaction score
I have received another request for my MS, both are interested, BUT, one is taking their time and the other wants to talk. How bad is it to email the other publisher and ask how things are going? What is protocol for something like this? Do I let them know that I have another publisher interested?
Without losing both?

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
I've heard from a publisher that it is poor form to let one publisher know you're considering a different one. I don't know if that holds true for all, but he said it was considered rude. If you need more time, that's fine - state that as is, but don't say 'I'm considering better offers'.

JanetW

Brokeneyes
Registered
Reaction score
ask a publisher

greendragon: Thank you for the advice: I've heard the same thing, it is poor protocol I don't want to loose an opportunity with the one. I could end up loosing both, it's not a greed thing, it's about having the better publisher. But I really would like to know what their plans are. I'm holding the one off but they will only wait for so long before they move on.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If the publishers accept simultaneous submissions, then there is nothing wrong with having multiple submissions out there. (And if they don't, you shouldn't have submitted to all of them ;) )

I would not contact the editor/publisher taking her time unless you actually receive an offer from the other publisher.

If the publisher makes an offer, it is totally acceptable to say that you would like time to consider their offer, and that you have other submissions outstanding and you need to let the other publishers know an offer has been made and give them an opportunity to respond.

Then set a firm deadline and contact the others, let them know an offer has been made, and you are checking to see if the manuscript is still under consideration. Then ask them to let you know by x date whether they continue to consider the manuscript.

But until an offer has been made, you wait it out.

Good luck.

~suki

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
What Suki said

As long as their guidelines do no say no simultaneous submissions, you are free to sub elsewhere. And should imo. Some pubs take years to get back to you!

Anyway, IF you get an offer from the second pub, you shoot the first an email. Hi, have had an expression of interest in other quarters. Can I ask if you are willing to make an offer? (or you know, good. Polite, professional etc) If I could have an answer within (X time)..

Then shoot pub 2 an email asking for X time to consider the offer.

No reputable pub will bat an eye. Provided their guidelines did not say no sim subs.

There is a risk in this, of course -- by pushing for an answer you may nudge them towards a no. Which is why you only do it when you already have another offer in hand...However, if they liked it and were contemplating offering anyway, it may play in your favour. Swings and roundabouts.

JanetW

Brokeneyes
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks you

I get the best advice and appreciate it, thank you for responding.