PDA

View Full Version : Yo' sheet don't stink?

Optimus
04-03-2006, 01:11 AM
Why is it that other people's poo and farts smell horrible, but you can tolerate the smell of your own, even your most vicious, dirty-sausage-boiled-in-sour-milk-like, explosive-diarrhea bowel movements?

Is this some natural mechanism to prevent one from throwing up every time they crap?

Just wondering.

Forbidden Snowflake
04-03-2006, 01:17 AM
:e2faint:I honestly have no clue. But I wonder how anyone can ask such questions. ;)

ChaosTitan
04-03-2006, 01:17 AM
:e2thud:

Optimus
04-03-2006, 01:19 AM
:e2faint:I honestly have no clue. But I wonder how anyone can ask such questions. ;)
Because, I am an intellectual adventurer, on the cusp of the next great philosophical revolution.

This information is vital to that cause.

ChaosTitan
04-03-2006, 01:20 AM
I fear for the next generation of philosophy majors.....

writerterri
04-03-2006, 01:22 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_5_135.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZUxdm080YYUS)

Optimus
04-03-2006, 01:24 AM
So, what you're saying is that you guys don't know?

Where's NeuroFizz when I need him?

ChaosTitan
04-03-2006, 01:25 AM
I don't know, Optimus. But you have given me something to ponder.

Puddle Jumper
04-03-2006, 01:27 AM
Why do you assume the rest of us can tolerate the smell of our own?

Forbidden Snowflake
04-03-2006, 01:33 AM

:ROFL:

None has had any objections until now, so that supports his point.

eldragon
04-03-2006, 01:33 AM
It seems to me that the "aroma" you are referring to, signify the level of health you may be experiencing.

If someone in your home suffers from a gastrointestinal disease, like Crohn's Disease (my mom has it,)
you get used to the terrible smells.

People who work in hospitals and digestive clinics, get used to, and in fact, expect their patients to pass gas and have bowell movements.

If a baby is breastfed, it's stool is different than formula fed babies.

In summation, my points are boring and irrelevant, oh, and obviously known to all who read them. That's why it fits with this thread.

Optimus
04-03-2006, 01:36 AM

Because I've yet to be aware of anyone who, every time they "take the Browns to the Superbowl," leap from the toilet and run from the lavatory gagging and holding their nose, unable to "finish their business."

However, walk into a public bathroom during or after someone has had a nightmarish encounter with a spicy bean burrito, and...whoa.

Levi
04-03-2006, 01:37 AM
To my mind this is a valid question - although it could have been asked in a more refined manner.

The fact is that each person has issues in their own personality that they would not be able to stand in others.

When I once complained to my spiritual teacher about the personality of a friend he said to me "why is it that you are able to sit on your own excrement but not on others?" In other words he was asking me why it was that my own personality defects did not bother me but the other person's did.

The answer is two words: self love.

We love ourselves so much that we are able to overlook even the most disgusting and most glaring of deficiencies.

writerterri
04-03-2006, 01:37 AM
This thread really stinks!

Danger Jane
04-03-2006, 01:40 AM

I think there's an old saying about that...ancient people were wise :|

Puddle Jumper
04-03-2006, 01:40 AM
Because I've yet to be aware of anyone who, every time they "take the Browns to the Superbowl," leap from the toilet and run from the lavatory gagging and holding their nose, unable to "finish their business."
I did have an incident just recently where I couldn't stand the smell before I left the bathroom, but that's the only time that happened.

It probably has something to do with biology. The natural smells our body produces doesn't seem to bother us like they do others. Another example, if you forgot to put on deoderant, does the smell from your stinky armpits bother you? It's never bothered me, but if someone else has stinky armpits it does bother me.

What gets to me though is when someone can clearly smell their own BO and don't care if it disgusts others or not.

Puddle Jumper
04-03-2006, 01:41 AM
"If you're old and think your sweet, take off your shoes and smell your feet?"

Optimus
04-03-2006, 01:44 AM
To my mind this is a valid question - although it could have been asked in a more refined manner.
I don't beat around the bush when it comes to the important questions.

Danger Jane
04-03-2006, 01:45 AM
"If you're old and think your sweet, take off your shoes and smell your feet?"

Haha, no, something about a lion thinking everyone else was after his food...or something...I only remember the gist of it :S and this thread is the gist of it.

Although that's a good one, too.

Gehanna
04-03-2006, 01:48 AM
I lack the bacteria to be competitive in this area.

SpookyWriter
04-03-2006, 01:51 AM
I don't know, Optimus. But you have given me something to ponder.
Will you sit upon your porcelain throne whilst waiting a decision?

Anya Smith
04-03-2006, 01:56 AM
:e2faint:

ChaosTitan
04-03-2006, 01:57 AM
Will you sit upon your porcelain throne whilst waiting a decision?

Won't work. The cat's litter box is right next to the throne, so the competing odors will invalidate any data I may be able to collect.

I suppose Optimus's question will fall by the way of the Tootsie Roll pop. The world will never know....

Puddle Jumper
04-03-2006, 01:58 AM
Won't work. The cat's litter box is right next to the throne
That's just wrong.

ChaosTitan
04-03-2006, 02:00 AM
That's just wrong.

Flushable cat litter. It's the greatest invention in the world, so worth a little extra odor. It's also the price I pay for living in a small apartment. Such is life, stink and all.

Puddle Jumper
04-03-2006, 02:06 AM
Flushable cat litter. It's the greatest invention in the world, so worth a little extra odor. It's also the price I pay for living in a small apartment. Such is life, stink and all.
Flushable cat litter? I assume this is different than regular cat litter? Which reminds me that I need to dump my cat's litter. Fresh Step, the only thing I've found that neutralizes odor.

SpookyWriter
04-03-2006, 02:07 AM
Won't work. The cat's litter box is right next to the throne, so the competing odors will invalidate any data I may be able to collect.
At least you have something to snack on whilst thinking?

Puddle Jumper
04-03-2006, 02:09 AM
How about feet? If your feet stink does it bother you like the smell of other people's feet? My stinky feet don't seem to bother me - which they only get stinky if I wear unventelated shoes for long periods of time.

SpookyWriter
04-03-2006, 02:11 AM
How about feet? If your feet stink does it bother you like the smell of other people's feet? My stinky feet don't seem to bother me - which they only get stinky if I wear unventelated shoes for long periods of time.They now have invented a new shoe which has built-in air and will allow you to set the temp. No more worrying about hot, stinky feets.

Puddle Jumper
04-03-2006, 02:13 AM
They now have invented a new shoe which has built-in air and will allow you to set the temp. No more worrying about hot, stinky feets.
But is it nice enough to wear to work? My problem comes with the all leather shoes I wear to work - I'd wear athletic shoes if they'd let me.

SpookyWriter
04-03-2006, 02:21 AM
But is it nice enough to wear to work? My problem comes with the all leather shoes I wear to work - I'd wear athletic shoes if they'd let me.Ah, forget the leather shoes. That's the problem. Start wearing leather skirts and a pushup bra. You won't even think of stinky feet anymore.

ChaosTitan
04-03-2006, 02:28 AM
Flushable cat litter? I assume this is different than regular cat litter? Which reminds me that I need to dump my cat's litter. Fresh Step, the only thing I've found that neutralizes odor.

Yeppers. Arm & Hammer Flushable litter. It's very grainy, and goes right down. It does, however, leave clouds of dust on nearby things. Like the toilet. Goes from white to light gray in about a week.

Now if only I could train the cat to flush it herself, life would be excellent....

ChaosTitan
04-03-2006, 02:29 AM
At least you have something to snack on whilst thinking?

That's what the box of Q-Tips is for. It's hard to get fiber into my diet, so I look for it anywhere I can.

SpookyWriter
04-03-2006, 02:39 AM
That's what the box of Q-Tips is for. It's hard to get fiber into my diet, so I look for it anywhere I can.Uh, which way is your diet heading???

ChaosTitan
04-03-2006, 02:42 AM
:e2point:

Puddle Jumper
04-03-2006, 02:44 AM
Forget the litter box, just Toilet Train Your Cat (http://www.karawynn.net/mishacat/toilet.html).

My cat loves to eat Q-tips, I think ones in particular that have been in someone's ear.

SC Harrison
04-03-2006, 02:44 AM
Why is it that other people's poo and farts smell horrible, but you can tolerate the smell of your own, even your most vicious, dirty-sausage-boiled-in-sour-milk-like, explosive-diarrhea bowel movements?

Is this some natural mechanism to prevent one from throwing up every time they crap?

Just wondering.

Pride of ownership. It's like bragging about how beautiful your newborn baby looks, when everybody else sees a miniature version of Uncle Fester.

SpookyWriter
04-03-2006, 02:46 AM
Pride of ownership. It's like bragging about how beautiful your newborn baby looks, when everybody else sees a miniature version of Uncle Fester.Ek...and then they never change...same looks and personality...

Danger Jane
04-03-2006, 02:56 AM
My odors bother me (on the rare occasion that I have them, of course)...but I don't know if it's the smell that bothers me or just that I'm smelly and embarrassed. I get embarrassed really easily, after all. I could be stranded on a desert island and want nothing but soap and a self-replenishing deodorant stick.

Puddle Jumper
04-03-2006, 02:59 AM
My odors bother me (on the rare occasion that I have them, of course)...but I don't know if it's the smell that bothers me or just that I'm smelly and embarrassed. I get embarrassed really easily, after all. I could be stranded on a desert island and want nothing but soap and a self-replenishing deodorant stick.
I wish everyone was this conscience about how they smell - well, with the exception of that being the only thing they'd want on a desert island. ;)

I've met people who smell like they haven't bathed in months and just don't care.

SpookyWriter
04-03-2006, 03:02 AM
I've met people who smell like they haven't bathed in months and just don't care.Aphrodisiac?

ChaosTitan
04-03-2006, 03:07 AM
Researching this phenomenon would be so much easier with one of these:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/chaostitan24/throne.jpg

SpookyWriter
04-03-2006, 03:08 AM
Cool, looks like my desk at work!

P.S. I'm an astronaut.

Puddle Jumper
04-03-2006, 03:16 AM
Aphrodisiac?
Huh?

Ew, gross. But then if someone wanted to hack into your computer all she would have to do is say that she's really not feeling well and needed to be on the toilet for a long period of time - or if it was a guy all he'd need to say was that he needed to go and you wouldn't question why he was in there for so long. :D

P.S. I'm an astronaut.
Seriously? That's so cool.

Mac H.
04-03-2006, 05:59 AM
The answer to the original question is easy - our brains are very good at doing a 'white balance' to eliminate constant smells/colours/sounds.

If our brains couldn't do this trick, you'd never be able to concentrate with any background noise - we'd keep being alerted by any minor traffic noise outside.

It also does the same thing with colour - after a while a large wall of slightly off-white will start to look like 'real' white. Otherwise we'd all be confused by fluoro lighting .v. natural sun etc.

Our brains are impressive things.

Mac.
(PS: I co-worker once asked me the same question, and I answered it with a long and detailed discourse involving the latest research involving brain scans.

It only occurred to me later that he was really just saying politely "You stink."

Opty - if someone has asked you this question lately, invest in some deodorant !)

speculative
04-03-2006, 10:24 AM

Just wondering.

Two words: curry eggs. You will see the light after some quality time with the porcelain god, guaranteed...

Optimus
04-03-2006, 11:02 AM
Actually, a timely encounter tonight with a bowl of hot chili (that I added curry to) has me reconsidering my earlier position.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-03-2006, 03:28 PM

My ol' sainted mother used to say, "Damn the dog who can't stand his own stink."

I don't know what she meant, though. ;)

unthoughtknown
04-03-2006, 04:09 PM
Hey Opti. Long time, no hear.

--

I think it's cause we know our own arse best.

Hehe.

NeuroFizz
04-03-2006, 04:26 PM
Sorry to be away, Opti. I was out-of-town for a scientific meeting. If you piece together many of the posts, I think you can come up with a decent answer. We are tolerant of our own "faults" whether they be personality-based or more physical, mostly because we have no choice. In order to maintain some level of self-respect, we put up with ourselves. But on a more neurobiogical level, sensory adaptation has also been mentioned. We do notice the stink, initially, but our sensory systems are designed to dial down (or even out) constant, unchanging stimuli, unless we have some emotional or physiological pre-disposition to the stimulus. Our brain tends to pay most attention to novel stimuli, so if in the middle of a dump, we were to change odors, it would partially override the sensory adaptation. Finally, there are people who suggest we pay attention to the smell of our porcelain busters, for health reasons. I'm not so sure this can be quatified since no health-related scratch-and-sniff books are out there........Hey, Opti....want to get together and make some money? There are people out there who do weird things to their rectums in the name of health and cleansing. A good scratch-and-sniff book would probably sell to them....

NeuroFizz
04-03-2006, 04:28 PM
I lack the bacteria to be competitive in this area.
I've known people who act as if their sh!t doesn't stink, but this is a new way to say it.

May I add that some of these bacteria are beneficial, or at least non-harmful (in this environment).