Stabbed under Clavicle - immediate death?

xC0000005

An exception has occured.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authorjcnelson.com
If someone were shot with a crossbow bolt through the shoulder (I'm thinking just under the right clavicle and above the shoulder bones) would this kill them?

In essence, I need them pinned in place, unable to move or help, but not mortally wounded.

MDSchafer

Banned
Reaction score
Website
firstfolio.blogspot.com
Most likely the crossbow bolt would result in a pneumothorax, if not when the bolt rips through the lung almost assuredly when it was removed.

If you really need someone pinned against the wall but not die I'd suggest the shoulder, or an arm. If the bolt goes in on the top part of the arm, above the humerus, or even breaking the bone, it wouldn't have to hit the brachial artery. It's a pretty significant trauma, but breaking the humerus and severing the cephalic would be survivable without surgery. Probably.

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
But wouldn't the bolt need to go in at a steep angle?

I've just had a feel of my own shoulder and there's a gap between the shoulder plate and the spine. That would be better, I think?

Last edited:

Neegh

Banned
Reaction score
But crossbow bolts arn't that long...wouldn't it need to be buried a few inches into the guy in order to pin him?

moonwatch178

The Angels Have The Phone Box
Registered
Reaction score
There's a real risk of hitting an artery if you shoot a bolt in the vicinity of the clavicle, especially if you expect to pin the guy.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
I agree with Neegh. The bolt probably wouldn't be effective in pinning someone to something, unless it were remarkably long. I think that a longbow arrow in that spot might do the job, unless the victime decided to take some pain and break the arrow or pull it out of whatever was behind.

xC0000005

An exception has occured.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authorjcnelson.com
The ones I've shot would pin someone, so I wasn't worried about length. I'm more worried about where someone might get hit that wouldn't kill them. There appears to be a fleshy triangle under the clavicle but above the shoulder blade that does NOT contain lungs, but I can't tell if any important blood vessels make their way through there.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
If someone were shot with a crossbow bolt through the shoulder (I'm thinking just under the right clavicle and above the shoulder bones) would this kill them?

In essence, I need them pinned in place, unable to move or help, but not mortally wounded.

Where exactly do you picture this injury? The clavicle is a shoulder bone. Do you want the bolt to go in between the clavicle and the scapula? That's a tough shot to make. Most penetrating trauma won't go through and instead injures the bones/joints.
Unless the bolt hits very medially, in a place that can't really be considered part of the shoulder anymore, a lung injury is not likely. However more laterally you have the subclavian/axillary artery and vein. Although injuring them is relatively difficult, if it happens, you're in trouble.

Taejang

Why not?
Registered
Reaction score
I'd go with arm/shoulder, as already suggested. Or leg; a bolt to the leg doesn't have to pin somebody to make it very difficult to move around. If the victim is sensitive to the sight of their own blood, that could be used to your advantage.

A few notes on bolt size: modern bolts (or quarrels) are NOT the same as medieval era bolts. Not in materials, thickness, length, fletching, tip design, or anything else, really. Modern fiberglass (and other materials) are typically longer than medieval equivalents, which were made of wood (like ash) and had to be short and heavy or they'd blow apart upon firing. On the flip side, there are modern bolts that are much smaller than medieval equivalents, particularly (but not limited to) those fired from one-handed crossbows.

I'm not sure from your posts what era this is taking place in; modern bolt lengths are very easy to come by, so you can look them up. But medieval lengths are harder to find. You'll need to decide what kind of crossbow is being fired and from what era, then find the length of bolt for it. They range from short (8 inches and smaller) to long (15+ inches) to very long (for ballistae and such). It is completely plausible to pin a victim with either a medieval or modern bolt, but certain styles (fired from matching styles of crossbows) will be much more plausible than other styles.

Exactly what behavior to expect when the bolt hits a body is dependent on the crossbow and bolt designs. Heavy medieval war crossbows could easily sport 200lbs or more of draw force and used bolts with wicked tips. Against an unarmored person, such a bolt would usually rip right through unless it struck a bone, in which case it wouldn't stick out of the body. That means no pinning unless the victim had armor or light cover to slow the bolt down a bit. Lighter medieval field crossbows would have lighter draws and be more likely to pin a victim, but less likely to penetrate armor. Hunting bolts were different from war bolts, and modern practice bolts are different from modern hunting bolts. Outside of some very specialized organizations, there are no modern war bolts.

The exact behavior will be different for each. Depending on your audience and how factual you want to represent things, you may need to consider the bolt's behavior on striking its target and not just where it struck.

Last edited: