PDA

View Full Version : Would you have been friends with Carrie White?

BlackCrowesChick
04-03-2006, 12:58 AM
Whether you've read the book Carrie or just seen the movie, most of you are probably familiar with the character Carrie White. Everyone in her school horribly teased her. The point of the book, IMO, was to feel sorry for her, to see what its like to be on that side of the fence. That book had the strongest pathos for me. I felt very sorry for her.

So now, the question. Had this been a real-life situation, would you have been friends with her? I would have. Or would you have joined the crowd and made fun of her all the time?

I'm going to make this a poll, and even though I don't like him, to stick with AW tradition, I'll even put an Orlando Bloom option in it. :tongue

writerterri
04-03-2006, 01:33 AM
I voted yes. I would have used her to put a hex on all the popular girls with huge boils on their butts.

eldragon
04-03-2006, 01:36 AM
I have to answer that question as I would have answered it in 1982, when I was in High School.

Now, of course, the 42 year old, mature woman Pam would befriend her.

But, back then.................I was a popular girl who did some rude things to stay on top. And, the funny thing is .............I remember terrible things I said to people, all these years later. I wonder if they do/ I doubt it.

Gehanna
04-03-2006, 01:44 AM
I would have been friends with her.

In high school, it would piss me off when people treated other people poorly. In fact, it still does piss me off. As a result of my actions, I was also picked on. I was sarcastically referred to as "The Good Samaritan" among other "choice" names.

There was one guy in particular that people would pick on relentlessly. I still remember his first and last name and I often wonder how he is doing. A bunch of people threw his books in the trash one day and I retrieved them for him. That is how I acquired the sarcasm from others. I didn't care too much because I was a nobody in school and I figured it didn't matter what morons like that thought of me.

Bill, if you are out there, I hope your life is great!!

psy7ven

Susie
04-03-2006, 03:24 AM
I definitely would have been friends with her, but I sure wouldn't have gone over to her house with that very dangerously deranged mother of hers.

SpookyWriter
04-03-2006, 03:26 AM
I would have slept with her after the prom shower...ewww...red stuff isn't romantic material.

Elincoln
04-03-2006, 03:28 AM
I definitely would have been friends with her, but I sure wouldn't have gone over to her house with that very dangerously deranged mother of hers.

Me too. I would probably have asked if she wanted to stay at my place.

SpookyWriter
04-03-2006, 03:30 AM
Oppps...I thought you meant Carrie Fisher.

kristie911
04-03-2006, 08:00 AM
I wouldn't have been her friend but I wouldn't have teased her either...in high school I would have stood back and done nothing. Besides, I would have been too busy following Orlando Bloom around! Who needs friends when you have Orlando?

reph
04-03-2006, 08:06 AM
In high school, I was Carrie White, but without the powers.

SpookyWriter
04-03-2006, 08:14 AM
In high school, I was Carrie White, but without the powers.Awesome. I had the hots for her when I was growing up. I think Carrie had more power over men (boys) because she was so Vernal?

BlackCrowesChick
04-03-2006, 08:17 AM
In high school, I was Carrie White, but without the powers.

I wasn't her exactly, but I certainly had a few things in common with her. I wasn't teased like she was nor was my mother a zealous deranged person. Otherwise, there are similarities between us. And no powers here, either.

writerterri
04-03-2006, 09:02 AM
I wasn't her exactly, but I certainly had a few things in common with her. I wasn't teased like she was nor was my mother a zealous deranged person. Otherwise, there are similarities between us. And no powers here, either.

What was left?

BlackCrowesChick
04-03-2006, 09:06 AM
What was left?

Personality wise, a few appearance factors.

Mac H.
04-03-2006, 10:31 AM
There was one guy in particular that people would pick on relentlessly. I still remember his first and last name and I often wonder how he is doing. A bunch of people threw his books in the trash one day and I retrieved them for him. ...

psy7venMr Gates seems to have recovered from people picking on him.

I hope he remember you too ....

Mac

Shadow_Ferret
04-03-2006, 04:10 PM
I would have crushed her bosom to my chest and smothered her face with hot kisses.

OK, that was my literary persona talking.

As for me, to be honest, and this is probably embarrassing, I have never read the book or seen the movie. All I know about it is she had some sort of powers.

PattiTheWicked
04-03-2006, 04:26 PM
Much as I hate to admit it, I'd have avoided the hell out of Carrie in high school. Not because I was popular, but because I spent four years trying to be invisible, and hanging out with someone who was so obviously a target would have made me more... noticable.

I'd have just felt sorry for her from afar.

eldragon
04-03-2006, 04:33 PM
And those of you who read "On Writing," know that Carrie was a combination of three different outcast girls, none of whom Stephen King helped, either.

Azure Skye
04-03-2006, 05:15 PM
I was picked on a lot in school so I definitely would have been friends with her. I was a target for a lot of teasing and jokes up until I got into high school. I remember all of it too.

Azure Skye
04-03-2006, 05:18 PM
I would have been friends with her.

In high school, it would piss me off when people treated other people poorly. In fact, it still does piss me off. As a result of my actions, I was also picked on. I was sarcastically referred to as "The Good Samaritan" among other "choice" names.

There was one guy in particular that people would pick on relentlessly. I still remember his first and last name and I often wonder how he is doing. A bunch of people threw his books in the trash one day and I retrieved them for him. That is how I acquired the sarcasm from others. I didn't care too much because I was a nobody in school and I figured it didn't matter what morons like that thought of me.

psy7ven

That was touching. I'm sure he remembers that one kind act. It would be really cool if you did find him and got to meet up with him again.

jenngreenleaf
04-03-2006, 05:37 PM
I would've been friends with her -- I was picked on A LOT at school and, yes, those words and actions those popular people say and do still stick with you. I'm 31 and stil remember just about everything.

speculative
04-03-2006, 05:49 PM
I would have done nothing because where I come from Carrie would have been one of the girls who played volleyball in PE and stood around with her friends talking, and let the ball hit them rather than even try to play the game to help out our team. Dang, it's too darn early in the morning to construct a decent sentence... :sleep:

Jcomp
04-03-2006, 05:55 PM
Being that I was also a nerd, at least in grades 9-10 (& half of junior year before my remarkable, 80's movie-esque turnaround), I probably would've been nice to her. Maybe not friends, exactly, but nice. Plus it was pretty obvious that she might be crazy, and I was always nice to the people I thought might snap and commit horrible acts of violence on the student body.

LloydBrown
04-03-2006, 07:17 PM
If I knew she had the telekinesis, we'd have been best pals.

In high school, I wasn't the suave chick-magnet I am now (somehow being married does that, oddly enough). I didn't grow up until well after high school. I'd have ignored her.

Loved that book, though. I read it and Firestarter in the same day--a school day at that.

writerterri
04-03-2006, 08:04 PM
Personality wise, a few appearance factors.

Sissy Spacheck is beautiful, I'll give you that. She's the reason I wanted to be a red head.

writerterri
04-03-2006, 08:11 PM
I voted yes. I would have used her to put a hex on all the popular girls with huge boils on their butts.

It's only because they picked on me so bad too. I was even bullied by the poor girls who were bullied by them. I quess I was the bottom feeder. :tongue

rtilryarms
04-03-2006, 08:18 PM
Friends nothing.

She acts like me. I think we are related.

writerterri
04-03-2006, 08:19 PM
It's funny, because when this movie came out I was wishing I could have gotten back at those girls the way carrie did and I was having my own set of issues with the adults in my life. The scarry part was that I knew her pain and I could read the crazyness in her eyes. That movie didn't give me the creeps at all. I was living it.

rekirts
04-03-2006, 10:14 PM
I don't think I would have been friends with her, but I wouldn't have been mean either. I was kind of a loner and didn't go out of my way to be friends with anyone, though I usually had one good friend to hang out with. But the picked on people sometimes tried to be friends with me because I was the only one not picking on them. If I didn't want to hang out with someone, I'd just say I had to go practise the piano.

I'm not sure why I wasn't picked on myself. Or maybe I was, and I just didn't notice. Heh.

eldragon
04-03-2006, 10:48 PM
Honestly, I didn't read the book or watch the movie, but I understand the basic elements of the movie.

I find people's High School persona's to be very interesting: Popular kids can remain popular their entire lives, or they might peter out early. Nerds or geeks can grow up to be successful, or remain geekish their entire lives.

I knew a ultra genius - bookworm, A++ student, who grew up to a radio talk show host. She had the brains to be a nuero-surgeon, yet she wanted to be a silly, sexy, bimbo.

(Not that radio talk show hosts are bimbos..........I'm talking about her.)

It's absolutely amazing how much you change after you graduate from H.S.

As I said in an earlier post, I know I said hurtful things to at least one girl, one time; because I will never forget it.

But, as an adult, I am the least hurtful person I know, and would be the first person to come to the defense of someone being hurt.

I guess I learned my lesson.

BlackCrowesChick
04-03-2006, 11:19 PM
Sissy Spacheck is beautiful, I'll give you that. She's the reason I wanted to be a red head.

Yes, she is. To make this more confusing, though, (sorry!) I meant that there were a few appearance things I had in common with Carrie of the book, not with Sissy. I don't really look like either of them, though. Its kind of hard to explain. One example would be that in the book, she dressed nerdy. One year of high school, I dressed like a teacher. I even had the exact same outfits on as different teachers did on the same days. :cry: It was funny, though. At least I had a sense of humor about it and joked about it.

louisgodwin
04-04-2006, 09:10 AM
I would have been friendly to her, and I even would have intervened on her behalf had I witnessed the bullying. But to be honest, I probably wouldn't have become close friends with her.

September skies
04-04-2006, 09:48 AM
I'm probably the only person in the world who has never read the book, knows the story or seen the movie. (all I know is the part with the goat blood or something like that) I've never read or seen The Exorcist either - or any of those Apocalypse type movies. (but I did read Rosemary's Baby in Jr. High.)

Shwebb
04-04-2006, 07:25 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't have been close friends with her, but I would have been friendly with her, most likely, and taken up for her. I was known as a bit of a weird-smart kid with a sense of justice that got almost got me into trouble a few times--like for bawling out the shop coach because I caught him chuckling at a kid's apparent distress. (As an adult, l now know he was laughing because he was uncomfortable with the situation and didn't know what to do, but I didn't understand that at the time and was outraged.)

CaroGirl
04-04-2006, 07:45 PM
I probably would have been friends with her. I was closer to being her than I was to being cool or popular, and so were my friends. I was the insanely introverted brainiac geek in high school. Imagine how hard it is to disappear when you're 5'10" at age 15. Not so easy.

robeiae
04-04-2006, 07:56 PM
Interesting totals on the poll.

I'd say more, but I'd rather not be ostracized from the cool clique...

Rob :)

fallenangelwriter
04-04-2006, 09:30 PM
Haven't read the book or seen the movie, however....

It sounds to me as though I *Might* well have been friends with her. I do ym best to reach out to people who don't fit in, I'm not put off by crazy people (i have a number of friends from everywhere on the spectrum form mildly depressed to hospitalized schizophrenic)

Weirdly, I'm fairly popular, and my popularity tends to rub off on people i associate with.

that said, I should mention that I'm part of a small homeschool group, not a giant high school. I might never have noticed or had time for Carrie, as one face in a large crowd.

badducky
04-04-2006, 10:08 PM
Yeah, but you're asking a bunch of writers this question.

In high school, we tend -- on the whole -- to be busy either reading, or being ostracized to take part in the social nonsense that has limited lasting impact on life.

Frankly, if the beautiful Sissy Spacek were in my school, and had the low-self-esteem issues to put her in my league, I'd have been very happy about it.

The telekinesis is just a bonus!

(Honey, I have something I have to tell you. I can move large objects with my mind. I know it's strange, but it's my power. I'm very powerful. So, about your dream of world domination...)

Lyra Jean
04-04-2006, 10:54 PM
Hey I'd be friends with her. I've only seen the movie but did read "On Writing" by Stephen King.

I was picked on some but mostly ignored. I think I would rather get picked on. I also had a schizophrenic step-mom who was a religious fanatic. She would buy me clothes and then when I wore them would call me a whore. So I have that in common in Carrie. Sort of. I don't think my step-mom would try to kill me but who knows. (She is no longer my step-mom.)

I'd probably would have asked her if she wanted to drop out, get jobs and be roommates. (side note: I did graduate high school and completed two years of college.)

eldragon
04-05-2006, 03:16 AM
In high school, we tend -- on the whole -- to be busy either reading, or being ostracized to take part in the social nonsense that has limited lasting impact on life.

Hey, speak for yourself!

I was an avid reader, and popular in school.

(It can happen.)

rekirts
04-05-2006, 03:52 AM
I always assumed everyone thought I was a geek in highschool until a guy in my glass told a friend of mine that he'd "heard Wendy was a wild chick." I don't know where that came from but it pleased me no end. I don't know that I was wild, but I have been known to do uncoventional things from time to time.

Forbidden Snowflake
04-05-2006, 02:31 PM
Carrie scared me. Really. I would have disappeared whenever she would have appeared, anywhere.