School Uniforms: Good, Bad, or Ugggleeee?

School uniforms, yea or nay?

• School uniforms are an overall positive thing

Votes: 33 66.0%
  • School uniforms are a net negative

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I don't care about school uniforms, but I like to vote in polls

Votes: 8 16.0%

• Total voters

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
My youngest daughter is going to miss this experience by a year, so it's not going to affect our family, but the public intermediate school here is going to uniforms next year.

I can't seem to nail down an opinion on this topic and wanted to pick the collective brain here. What say you about school uniforms for 11 and 12 year olds>

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on the how and why.

Two of my kiddos went to a middle school with a strict dress code. Not quite a uniform, but close enough. Saved me a fortune on clothes those years, they didn't mind--and both boys learned to properly tie ties (a skill that comes in handy) and iron.

It was also nice, they learned to connect dress code with presenting themselves "professionally," how they're perceived by others, etc. while still showing individual personality through the ties chosen, hairstyles...

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I get it. Levels the playing field. BUT...some can't afford, or it becomes a cost issue that negatively impacts. AND I believe in individuality above most other things. Says the guy who had a red/green/yellow/blue mohawk and wore kilts and skirts and combat boots and eyeliner to his high school.

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Totes normal and unremarkable. Our entire country wears school uniforms. Is there an issue with them I'm not aware of?

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Not having children of my own, I'd accepted the cost benefit argument for uniforms as well as the argument that it reduces the pressures of status and bullying. These days, I don't know that those arguments hold much validity: I've heard parents complain about the rising cost of uniforms from year to year. Children are bullied for many other reasons than just their clothes. But I voted that they're a net negative because I personally believe schools have become too restrictive and regimented for the lower grades already, with both individuality and imagination being suppressed at every turn.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My youngest's school went to uniforms in her junior year. She hated it at first, but after a few weeks she said "You know, they really made things better."

Now, what the school had was really a narrow dress code, where trousers/skirts (girls weren't required to wear skirts) could only be tan or black, and the shirt had to be white button-downs or polos. Pullover sweaters in winter had to be black or white. Tee shirts were only allowed on home game days, and had to be printed with the school's logo and school colors.

Since that clothing wasn't any more expensive than regular clothes, the school didn't subsidize. Some other schools did, however, especially if they required the more "British style" skirts/trousers, sweaters, etc.

Lhowling

Mischief Witch
Registered
Reaction score
I was one of those kids who felt important in a school uniform. Plus I loved the designs -- simple, and yet stylish plaid pleated skirts. I only wore uniforms in elementary school and looked at schools where I could keep wearing a uniform. But those institutions were too expensive, unless I wanted to go to Catholic School. No thanks.

Personally, it didn't matter because I could express myself with clothes on my own time after school and on the weekends. And when it came to school, it made me more creative in terms of expressing myself in ways the school couldn't control. Wearing jewelry, having my hair a particular way, or inking my hand with funky designs. I found my own fun ways to be me.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
My son wore uniforms during grade school - the slacks were much less expensive than jeans, and the shirts/sweaters about the same. Nobody got picked on because they couldn't afford the latest fashions, and kids weren't concentrating on clothes instead of classes. (Contrast that to my niece who drove everyone bananas trying to find the latest jeans and expecting them to fork over nearly $80 a pair just so she would "fit in".)

There are lots of ways to express creativity and individualism other than clothing, particularly when clothing can also be a path to bullying and bankruptcy.

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
I'd vote that uniforms are a net neutral, most likely, although most of my opinions on the subject are negative. There's no benefit to a uniform that is poorly designed -- my very tall, lanky 13 year old niece has to wear a wrap skirt that a) regularly becomes unbuttoned and b) is just big enough on her that she has to roll down the waistband to get a good fit so it doesn't fall off. Uncomfortable or poorly fitting clothing can be a distraction. Plus I'm not sure I'd want my hypothetical child walking down the street with the name of her school emblazoned on her clothing. I'd feel more positively toward a strict dress code, like Chris P mentioned.

Sweetwheat

Registered
Reaction score
Hm. Some countries enforce this from the start. Doesn't Japan? I know Mexico does. Personally, I'm glad I didn't have to. I don't think polos look good on me, and I am not a big skirt wearer, though I guess I'd be okay with the pants all the time.
I do think it can ease up on bullying. Kids can be so mean! Actually, Chris P.'s mention of narrow code sounds pretty cool. But will the whole country ever agree? Probably not, so maybe the government will force it upon us...like California is making every kid get vaccinated, no matter what the parents' personal opinions may be.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I was in grade school, we were the only parochial school in the city that didn't have uniforms. It was brought up for a formal vote one year and it was unanimously shot down by the parents due to the cost. Just for the halibut, I looked up the school online and uniforms are now required. The one time my sister got harassed for what she was wearing was by the principal, who sent her home (with nobody there to meet her) because her blue jeans were two days out of the washing machine and an absolute disgrace (not paranoia, but the principal absolutely had it in for my family and regularly got into arguments over the phone with my mother. And regularly lost.)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say net neutral, too.

Though personally, I'd prefer straight-up uniforms to a strict dress code.

My high school had a strict dress code of the "no jeans, no t-shirts, no designs but the school logo" variety. I found it annoying, and would've preferred we just had a uniform, or got rid of the stupid rules. (Incidentally, I found I could sometimes get away with wearing jeans, because no one would notice my pants if I wore a sport jacket and tie.)

tl;dr Dress codes are lame. Uniform or nothing.

Last edited:

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I said positive.

If you'd asked me as a kid, I would have wrinkled my nose and said, "No thank you!"

But now as an adult looking back on that poor kid who was teased and bullied by other girls for years because of her "Kmart clothes" and "Payless shoes"...it would have been one less thing to be bullied for if we'd all been wearing the same thing.

(Other bullying throughout the years - my frizzy hair (b/c I had curls and no idea how to handle them), the gap between my two front teeth (that has closed up now), the "holes" in my head (scars from chicken pox that are faded now), and my mother who must be a slut because she started dating a year after the divorce.)

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Back in the dark ages, when I was in school, we had dress codes. No slacks of any kind for girls, boys couldn't wear levis or wranglers (in a ranching community!) only cords, chinos, or dress pants. Back then T shirts were only underwear, so that wasn't an issue. I got sent to the principal's office because my skirt was too short. It was short when I started across the campus, and plenty long enough by the time I got there. I had it rolled up at the waist :D.

Our youngest nephew had uniforms from 7th grade on. I never heard any complaints from him or his parents.

MM

Isilya

Rogues, thieves, and knaves abound
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was a plus size in high school and very little off the rack fit me, even in plus size stores. A shirt or pair of pants that actually fit was a treasured and rare object.

Before they were voted down I got to try on a uniform in my size. To say it was horrible is an epic understatement. Every curve covered to the point that I looked easily 30 lbs heavier. (I couldn't afford to get a uniform tailored.)There was no way I was going to 'fit in' feeling like a beluga in a cheap suit. I probably wouldn't have survived high school. Not something I could have handled well.

My old high school has uniforms now. The nieces go. Sure the kids aren't ostracized based on clothes but they are on tech. Don't have the latest Iphone, smartwatch, or tablet. Don't have the right apps on your new device. Don't follow the right sites after school: vine, snap chat, whatever is the newest thing. Etc.. School is still the same the kids have just switched focus. Bullying is more cyber than in person these days or so it seems.

I think enforcing uniforms just covers up the problem during school hours. At least that's been my experience. YMMV

Last edited:

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Almost every school (up to age 16) have uniforms here. Ostensibly so that no one will get picked on for their lack of trendy clothes (it probably wasn't for that originally...)

It is good for that. Some schools are pretty laid back -- my son only needs to wear black trousers/socks and a white (or blue if prefect) collared shirt, plus an official school jumper. Easy, and cheap -- you can pick up the trousers and shirts for peanuts. Almost every school used to be like this, and it really does help. No worrying about what to wear, or how much it'll cost.

My daughter's school on the other hand....you HAVE to have everything a certain way. Official skirt, shirt, jumper, this, that, the other. Parents complain (Instead of paying £10 for a pack of three shirts that I know my son will grow out of in about a week, their shirts are £10 EACH) More schools are going this way but it is VERY unpopular

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
My old high school has uniforms now. The nieces go. Sure the kids aren't ostracized based on clothes but they are on tech. Don't have the latest Iphone, smartwatch, or tablet. Don't have the right apps on your new device. Don't follow the right sites after school: vine, snap chat, whatever is the newest thing. Etc.. School is still the same the kids have just switched focus. Bullying is more cyber than in person these days or so it seems.

I think enforcing uniforms just covers up the problem during school hours. At least that's been my experience. YMMV

Yeah, I get that. But for me, it would have been a blessing. After school, I was in leotard and tights and dancing. No one bullied me there. There, I was one of the "popular" kids, dancing competitively in one of the more "elite" groups of the studio. And we didn't have tech.

*derail*

My daughter is in 5th grade, and the drama has started. Right on schedule (5th grade is when it started for me). None of it is the same as it was from me, as far as I can tell based on what DD tells me. It seems so far that the girls are just starting to split off into cliques.

I always figured DD would be one of the "popular" kids because she is seriously model-beautiful. I know I'm biased, but it's true. So far, however, that doesn't seem to be the case. She's not independent enough. She's timid. She cares to an extent about her clothing, shoes and her hair; but, more often than not, her clothes are a crazy mix of things. She wears her big old bright white and pink sneakers with just about everything even though she has plenty of other shoes/boots, and she comes home with her hair a mess. It's one of the things I love about her - when she had her strings concert, she wore the traditional black pants and white top...with her pink sneakers. I'm proud of her for so many reasons, one being that though she may not be part of the "popular" group, she seems happy with the friends she has and doesn't obsess over trying to be like everyone else. She is definitely her own little goofball.

I hope it stays that way, but I know it will be more of a challenge once they're a bit older, and everyone has cell phones and is on the social networks.

*end derail*

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Why're these separate choices? They're hideous polyester rags of hideousness - but they're a good thing.

Cheap.

One hideousness for all.

Limits the amount of judging that can go on based on clothing.

Fewer distractions.

Fosters a sense of unity.

Totally pro uniform here, but they are hideous. That's kind of part of the appeal honestly, I think.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Why're these separate choices? They're hideous polyester rags of hideousness - but they're a good thing.

Cheap.

One hideousness for all.

Fewer distractions.

Totally pro uniform here, but they are hideous. That's kind of part of the appeal honestly, I think.

I think this is a record - this is the second time in one day I've agreed with you! :tongue (the first being on the Williams thread)

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
I think it should be absolutely illegal to make girls wear anything that exposes any part they may feel uncomfortable with. I don't want the wind, or any other circumstance, exposing any part of my legs and ass beyond the knee. Tights or no tights. What if she's fat and embarrassed? What if she's got her period and something goes wrong? I think obligatory skirts are unethical and girls should be able to opt for pants or any length of skirt that is not meant to solely please the eye of men (why else MAKE girls wear short skirts?).

As for preventing bullying because nobody looks poorer than the other in a uniform: how about people just RAISE THEIR SPAWN RIGHT and instill zero tolerance for bullying others for ANY reason? How about being poor, fat, or gay, stops making kids a target? How about that?

Last edited:

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... uniforms here are okay. Definitely not drab. Not exactly stylish either. Somewhere inbetween. Kinda funny at times when girls hike up their skirts by rolling them up at the top and turning them into miniskirts. Am sure the priests and nuns must love that. Hee hee :-D

Last edited:

Isilya

Rogues, thieves, and knaves abound
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Cheap.

One hideousness for all.

Fewer distractions.

It's not the uniform being hideous that would have been hard for me. It was me being hideous. Picking my own clothes so I looked like me and and not like a big square box made all the difference.

IF they had a long skirt option or stretchier material or a dress option maybe it could have worked
Now that I think about it, stretchier material would have fixed a lot of fit issues for a lot of kids.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I think it should be absolutely illegal to make girls wear anything that exposes any part they may feel uncomfortable with. I don't want the wind, or any other circumstance, exposing any part of my legs and ass beyond the knee. Tights or no tights. What if she's fat and embarrassed? What if she's got her period and something goes wrong? I think obligatory skirts are unethical and girls should be able to opt for pants or any length of skirt that is not meant to solely please the eye of men (why else MAKE girls wear short skirts?).

As for preventing bullying because nobody looks poorer than the other in a uniform: how about people just RAISE THEIR SPAWN RIGHT and instill zero tolerance for bullying others for ANY reason? How about being poor, fat, or gay, stops making kids a target? How about that?

Just girls?

Illegal? Girls should be able to take their parents or anyone else to court for putting them in clothing that exposes ANY part they're uncomfortable with?

This will make driver's license photos interesting.

That's just untenable on its face and, imo, hideously misogynistic, as it seems to go along with the idea that girls specifically should be hiding body parts and feeling shame about their bodies and exposing their bodies or skin or whatever.

Most uniform skirts are not in any way short until the girls themselves get a hold of them and roll them up at the waist. There are usually fingertip rules about uniform skirts. I'm fine with pant options but ...

As to the raising people right so no one ever bullies, or I presume teases or shuns or etc., we are talking about humans, right?

Last edited: