Unusual Experiences

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
What are some unusual experiences you've had? Things most people may not have experienced? They don't have to be bad, but for whatever reason, those are the only ones I can think of right now.

I have:

1) Slipped out of the safety harness on a (triple loop) roller coaster. (You know how they sometimes take a photo of you on a roller coaster? You couldn't even see me in the photo. Only my terrified father beside me.)

2) Woken up too earlier from anesthesia. Multiple times.

What about you?

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
What are some unusual experiences you've had? Things most people may not have experienced? They don't have to be bad, but for whatever reason, those are the only ones I can think of right now.

I have:

1) Slipped out of the safety harness on a (triple loop) roller coaster. (You know how they sometimes take a photo of you on a roller coaster? You couldn't even see me in the photo. Only my terrified father beside me.)

2) Woken up too earlier from anesthesia. Multiple times.

What about you?

I had similar experiences to both of these when I was a kid.

1) You know those suspension rides that spin in a rapid circle, drop the floor, and stick you to the wall? I didn't stick. The only one that didn't. I just managed to pull my foot out of the way as the floor rose. Have no idea why it happened, but the ride operator and all the other riders were aware of it, rooting me on.

2) I woke up in the middle of a cystoscopy, just in time for them to yank the tube out. Wow!

Once I drove up the 101 in CA, through a light mist on a steep, forested road. When I finally got to the top of the mountain the sun was blazing. I was all alone. There was no cars, people, or creatures anywhere around, and not a hint of sound. I stopped at the apex, turned off my engine, and got out of the car. An endless pure-white vista, I realized I was sitting on top of a cloud.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had that happen on the suspension ride, too! I vividly remember the operator saying it was because I had a big butt. I was embarrassed and scared and my feelings hurt and didn't go to the state fair again in that state. (Boy, that sure showed 'em, huh?)

I fell out of my car while it was in motion. My door came unlatched as I was turning a corner, and the vehicle didn't even have seatbelts. (Man, am I old, or what?) I held onto the wheel and pulled myself back in, and considered myself very, very lucky.

Maryn, who'd all but forgotten both those events

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
If I told you, I'd have to kill you.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I had that happen on the suspension ride, too! I vividly remember the operator saying it was because I had a big butt. I was embarrassed and scared and my feelings hurt and didn't go to the state fair again in that state. (Boy, that sure showed 'em, huh?)

I fell out of my car while it was in motion. My door came unlatched as I was turning a corner, and the vehicle didn't even have seatbelts. (Man, am I old, or what?) I held onto the wheel and pulled myself back in, and considered myself very, very lucky.

Maryn, who'd all but forgotten both those events

What a great guy. Jerkoff, I mean.

You got very lucky. The closest I've come to that was when I was 17 and had just bought my first car. God, I loved that hunk of white metal. I was working out of state, driving in the middle lane, realized that I needed to make the next left and did it anyway, and bam! I got knocked out of my seat onto the floor on the passenger side, my left foot stuck UNDER the brake, as my car rolled down the hill without a driver. By the time I'd managed to crawl over to the driver's side and hit the brake, with my HAND, I was in the middle of the grassy divider. The car was totaled by I had only a scratch.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe a year earlier, I was, let's just say, not a well-behaved boy. I wasn't experimenting with drugs, i was getting it right! I was at a friend's place in a neighborhood I didn't know, we'd done mescaline, I was hitting my peak, I needed a pack of kools, and decided to walk to the store. But I got lost. It should have been, would have been impossible to get lost had I not been WUI. Seemed like hours later I ended up in a wooded, residential area, came out of a patch to see, what! Abe Lincoln himself, the height, the skin and bones, the beard, and what Abe might wear in more modern days, the red flannel shirt.

I was spooked, no, I was freaking! What had I done, had tripped my way into the 19th Century?!

I got out of there fast. Somehow managed to find my way back to my friend's house. Told him the story, and he said, "Oh, that's _____. He's an actor, an Abe Lincoln bit player. He's a nice guy."

Neegh

Banned
Reaction score
The unusual is the usual for me, so...nothing really stands out for me to brag about at the moment.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Out of 1305 logged parachute jumps--68 in the US Army and 1237 sport jumps in the US Parachute Association--I had several memorial experiences. Three of the best: a practice jump alongside a HALO (high-altitude low-opening) team from somewhere in the tropopause (about 45,000 feet above Okinawa); an exhibition jump over Tiber Lake, Montana, with four parachutes--I opened one, let it streamer, opened a second, let it streamer, then opened my third to float into the lake; and a jump over Great Falls, Montana, from an pioneer aircraft piloted by Susan Oliver, the actress who plays the green woman in the Star Trek pilot, herself a noted aviatrix. All three jumps were thrills of a lifetime.

The worst jump went okay until I landed in the tallest tree in Washington state. The expensive main canopy was in shreds. I had to cut it loose to free my harness and reserve and ease myself down from shaky upper branches to more substantial branches where a logger rigged a block and tackle so I could let myself down the last thirty feet.

I got a healthy fear of heights from that one. :scared:

KittenEV

Registered
Reaction score
Website
eventsias.wixsite.com
I got run over by a golf cart driven by my best friend... That was a strange and unusual experience. Strangest thing, she's still my best friend today lol

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
An 18 wheeler jack-knifed through the highway median while I was driving on the other side. Large concrete slabs totaled my car, but I was able to get out to see the truck upside down on my side of the highway and eight lanes of traffic stopped for a very long time. Everyone lived, and a few other vehicles were involved.

I didn't get to work that day. I got a good poem out of it, however!

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I woke up during TMJ surgery myself! People have a hard time believing that, so it's weird finding others it's happened to :) I had asked for the least anesthetic possible, and the doctor found more wrong than the MRI showed, too.

A weird one:

Police investigated my possible murder one entire night while my boyfriend and I were really just stuck in the woods.

They thought he'd shot me in the woods, and even woke up his new boss at 3am to question him over the phone. My parents weren't allowed to touch my car ('abandoned' there by the woods), and the cops sent the bloodhounds after my trail. They didn't find us, lol.

We had really just gotten stuck in a hike when dark fell and had to wait till dawn to hike out. Someone reported my car and imagined gunshots, apparently (or heard hunters). The cops got up with my parents.

My boyfriend and I heard the sirens and the helicopter and everything all night! Voices didn't travel, however :ROFL: It was pretty cold, too. We made a fire (which didn't help them find us, bizarrely). It was way too dark to risk breaking an ankle, so that's why we just camped on down and waited till light.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I was standing in a mosh pit, listening to Metallica play. I must've had my hand positioned palm out, because all of a sudden I felt something drop into it, and it stayed there without me closing my hand. Someone had thrown a cigarette! Fortunately, it wasn't lit.

Now, being the trusting person that I am, I smoked it. Several people nearby had seen me accidentally catch it. Apparently none of us considered that it might've been laced with something, but it didn't do me any harm, so it must've just been a normal cigarette.

That was pretty weird.

Kessar

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I woke up during TMJ surgery myself! People have a hard time believing that, so it's weird finding others it's happened to :) I had asked for the least anesthetic possible, and the doctor found more wrong than the MRI showed, too.

A weird one:

Police investigated my possible murder one entire night while my boyfriend and I were really just stuck in the woods.

They thought he'd shot me in the woods, and even woke up his new boss at 3am to question him over the phone. My parents weren't allowed to touch my car ('abandoned' there by the woods), and the cops sent the bloodhounds after my trail. They didn't find us, lol.

We had really just gotten stuck in a hike when dark fell and had to wait till dawn to hike out. Someone reported my car and imagined gunshots, apparently (or heard hunters). The cops got up with my parents.

My boyfriend and I heard the sirens and the helicopter and everything all night! Voices didn't travel, however :ROFL: It was pretty cold, too. We made a fire (which didn't help them find us, bizarrely). It was way too dark to risk breaking an ankle, so that's why we just camped on down and waited till light.
This could be an entertaining "fictional" story you could write...only write it from the detective's POV, and make the reader fully believe the murder happened.

Rotes

Crazy Opossum Lady
Registered
Reaction score
I kind of saved a life when I was nineteen. That was super exciting.

Uhhhhmmm hmmm. My 18hh horse reared up on a freeway overpass.

I did swim with humpback whales.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
An 18 wheeler jack-knifed through the highway median while I was driving on the other side. Large concrete slabs totaled my car, but I was able to get out to see the truck upside down on my side of the highway and eight lanes of traffic stopped for a very long time. Everyone lived, and a few other vehicles were involved.

I didn't get to work that day. I got a good poem out of it, however!

That is crazy! Glad you got out okay. Wow.