PDA

View Full Version : To Leave an Agent?

fisherlady
02-05-2015, 07:58 PM
My agent and I have been together since 2009. She sold one book. My editor left the house and my book didn't go to paper. At the time, my agent said my second book would have to be remarkable in order for me to get another deal. So, I have been working for 4 years on a remarkable book. Agent has said it could be published, but she doesn't say she loves it and she doesn't seem excited. In the past 6 months, I've rewritten three times, from agent's advice. This advice is very general--impressions. She responded to my last draft in Jan. I rewrote. HERE is the thing: when I sent her the revision, she said she would read, but not right away--that she needed a break to get the other version out of her head.
I know that doesn't sound unreasonable, but at the same time, it doesn't sound excited, either. Since I've worked with this agent before, I think I know what excited for her is. I want to move ahead with this book or leave it behind. I want to get another book published, move on with my career. My agent seems to be willing to allow me to flounder. I'm trying to read her mind--thinking--do you want me to leave? It seems that way--as if, an amicable parting for us would be about to happen. I would be the one to part ways; she wouldn't be at all sad and certainly not to blame. I'm sad about that, but does anyone agree--this is a break-up about to happen?

Maryn
02-05-2015, 08:24 PM
It sounds to me--and I'm inexperienced in agency--that it's a breakup which is perhaps overdue. You can still like and respect one another professionally and personally without being in business together.

Maryn, thinking it's time

Putputt
02-05-2015, 08:32 PM
Sorry you're going through that. Have you talked to your agent about her lack of enthusiasm for the book? You deserve an agent who is passionate about your book, but before making the decision to part ways, maybe bring it up with your agent and see what she has to say about it?

fisherlady
02-05-2015, 09:07 PM
About a year or so ago, I did ask--in email--whether she was still interested in representing the book. I suggested I might try self-publishing, independent publishers, etc. She said she wasn't saying she wouldn't sell it, just that it wasn't ready. She says it "has promise." So, you can see I might be a little confused about her intentions and what I should do next.

Old Hack
02-05-2015, 10:50 PM
You really need to speak with your agent about this. We can't possibly guess what she's thinking or what she wants. Have the conversation.