rep for the etymology of

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Caterpillar tread.

We were just watching QI quite peacefull and now we're arguing about whether or not it's called "caterpillar tread" because of the way that caterpillers travel."

Hint: I think it is.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know enough to get a rep but, yeah, I think someone came up with the word caterpillar because of the way it moves--kind of slow and caterpillar-like.

It was once called continuous or endless track. I'm not sure which came first, the use of caterpillar for the track or the Caterpillar Corporation which used the track in their equipment (and hence might have become the common name for the track).

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
See, the thing is caterpillars move by forming a caterbunch (note: this may not be the scientific term) and kind of walking over the tops of each other. *trigger warning: caterpillars. Also disgusting* which, according to Stephen Fry, means that they travel x times faster than a yellow lego block.

Admittedly, it did sound better when he said it. And there was video.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're thinking too much.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
can't claim a rep cos I only googled. the hairy cat intrigues me.
From the meaning shreds, pillage was applied to the spoils of war; whence OE piller: thief. And from the 15th into the 19th c., caterpillar :) hairy little cat) was also applied to a plunderer, often with a contrast, as by Scott: “We have become the caterpillars of the island, instead of its pillars.” caterpillar tread, of tractor and army tank, is named for the manner of its movement.
The Origins of English Words: A Discursive Dictionary of Indo-European Roots by Joseph Twadell Shipley

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
My download speed doesn't let me see much of that Youtube clip* but those look more like sawfly larvae than caterpillars.

Caterpillars move by the use of six true legs and a number of pro-legs. The main thing is that they are long and flexible and able to move over different terrains.

* and I'm not even going to try the QI link

ETA: Here's a picture of sawfly larvae I took earlier. By which I mean in 2008.

Last edited:

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
have you seen a centipede move? once a centipede was on the other side of my bathroom's window net. i stared at it from the window, and soon it began nibbling on the net. i sprayed perfume on it, cause i didnt have any poison spray.

a few more moments later it tore through the net and came on my side of the bathroom.

it was red and so scary. about 8-10 inches.

i google searched what to do, n it said that insects dont like cold spaces. so i turned on the ac in full power, with the bathroom door n light turned on...n hoped for the centipede to crawl away right through that hole in the net.