Super Bowl Commercials...

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OK, writers...

How many of you agree with me that these were possibly the WORST COMMERCIALS EVAH?????

Well, at least the halftime performance was awesome...

(and I'm not even a Katy Perry fan) :Shrug:

Also, the singing of the National Anthem was original and very, very good.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I've just watched most of them and wasn't overly impressed.

The Always ad was good though.

But there were a lot of soppy ads. And why so many about fathers?

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I always love the Budweiser Clydesdale commercials. :)

I enjoyed the halftime show as well, even though I saw a lot of comment on my FB feed from those who did not.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This must be what Lavern hates about February.

:D

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I agree, they were the worst! The Always commercial (#LikeAGirl) was my favorite. I enjoyed the MacDonald's commercial where they'll accept payment of "love". The Budweiser commercial of the lost puppy: pfft.

Yeah, I noticed they're finally doing something with Dads that don't make them look stupid, although the commercial about the racing Dad was: huh?

I did like Katy Perry. That was a great show except for the in-between acts that I guess were there just so she could change clothes.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I was really meh about it until Missy Elliot came on. The lion was cool though.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Did anyone else see that Firstbank commercial where the boy wanted the puppy that was in the back of a truck and his father went in to use the atm to get cash... Then we see someone else driving off with the puppy because they could pay quicker?

I seriously wondered if that was a SNL skit. Then I realized, it was just emotionally manipulative and awful.

AndreF

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I liked the human pacman commercial that was awesome. The tortoise and the hair race was funny too. As for the rest .. meh.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Then I realized, it was just emotionally manipulative and awful.

There was a lot of that going on last night. The very worst that I saw: Nationwide commercial about the dead child. Really? I'm not getting from that commercial how Nationwide can help stop accidents. (I tweeted a comment about why didn't they make a commercial about how they saved a child.)

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Ohhhh, Lavern.

OK, writers...

How many of you agree with me that these were possibly the WORST COMMERCIALS EVAH?????
They were a yawn, but any glimpse of the horses is wonderful.

Well, at least the halftime performance was awesome...

(and I'm not even a Katy Perry fan) :Shrug:
Another yawn. I liked the dancers though, oh yeah and the fireworks.

Also, the singing of the National Anthem was original and very, very good.
No, didn't like it. I hate when they do that thing where if they hit the high notes, they drag them out forever — long enough you could forget what they are singing— like they are saying see? see? it hit it! And I can hold it, too . . . for a long, long while. Also hate when they try to make a love song out of it, and waver it all over the scale. It's a war song! Do it! Hoorah!

The outcome of the game was not to my liking, either. I lost $3.00

I do like you, though. :)

Last edited:

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hear ya, Ms. Writey...

But, as a singer, I liked how Idina put her "spin" on the National Anthem - I usually don't care for the way most singers try to "jazz it up" either, but I thought her version was especially creative.

While I didn't lose any $$$$ on the game, I was really hoping our hometown guy, Russell Wilson, would win another Super Bowl. :(

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I was pretty bored by the game and the commercials last night.

I think I missed at least the first 30 minutes of the game because I was at the grocery store, but I looked up Idina Menzel singing the National Anthem to see how she did. She was on key, she remembered the words, and although she did jazz it up a little, she didn't remind me of a certain little SNL sketch like some celebrities do, so I thought she did pretty good.:)

Anyway, I pretty much mentally tuned out during the actual game because I didn't care about the teams and was having to work on college related stuff on the computer at the same time. I tried to tune back in during the commercials, but I didn't find many of them all that great. Budweiser was cute as usual (I still can't believe they were going to ditch the horses and do zombies instead until people complained.) The only other one that really stood out to me was the Clash of the Clans ad. That one at least made me chuckle. #LikeAGirl was nice too, but it's been out there for public viewing for at least a couple months now, hasn't it?

As for the rest of the ads? Meh.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I always love the Budweiser Clydesdale commercials. :)

It was cute - until they went to the Big Bad Wolf cliche. (Couldn't even be a coyote, could it? Had to be one of the predators a stray animal is least likely to encounter, which already has a bad rep working against it.) Why? It was also very similar to last year's... and I'm pretty sure the German buyers of Budweiser have sold off the Clydes anyway.

As for the rest, the Brady Bunch Snickers ad, God's cell phone dying, and Liam Neeson vowing vengeance over Clash of Clans were about it. The Tortoise and the Hare one wasn't bad, either. The #Likeagirl Always ad... I thought it needed punch at the end. (I was also expecting them to bring out some girl athletes to show how girls really run, hit, etc.) Overall, though, pretty bland.

The halftime show was just plain weird. Best part was the lion (why not a tiger? And why'd the camera guy not show us it roaring?), but the rest... what the heck?

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
and I'm pretty sure the German buyers of Budweiser have sold off the Clydes anyway.

The germans haven't sold the Clydes yet. I got it from a reliable sourse that they aren't going to fully ditch them. (I know someone who works with the East Coast Clydes team.) However, they are to be good will ambassadors now, but no longer advertising icons.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
The germans haven't sold the Clydes yet. I got it from a reliable sourse that they aren't going to fully ditch them. (I know someone who works with the East Coast Clydes team.) However, they are to be good will ambassadors now, but no longer advertising icons.

That's good to know... for now, at least.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
The Liam Neeson ad was meh to me, and I've lost any respect I had for him over other issues.

Liked the Dad ads. Liked the Budweiser commercial, and my daughter will appreciate the news, Gilroy.

The Chevy ad apparently caused heart failure in bars and cable operations centers across the country.

Loved the Android phone/God's cell phone ad.

Thought there was supposed to be some racy Carl's Jr ad, but I apparently missed it.

badwolf.usmc

#CustomUserTitle
Registered
Reaction score
I liked the Nissan Racing Dad commercial, it reminded me of the multiple separations from my wife due to the military.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
The God commercial was pretty funny but I was either annoyed or depressed by all the rest. They all had such a similar tone/feel, I wondered if one agency had the whole bunch.

I'm a Katy fan, but I thought the only good part of the show was Missy Elliot. She was awesome. My hubs and son were at the game. They said the show was terrible in the stadium. Couldn't hear a thing, the camera panned to weird things and at the end, when Katy was on the star thing, they couldn't see her. The in-stadium camera was showing the fireworks. Last year's Bruno Mars/Red Hot Chili Peppers show was miles better.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I liked it all:applause:, except the Carrol-Wilson-Lockette failure to end the game :(. This was my 49th Superbowl, and I'm grateful to the generous sponsors who paid for it all. :snoopy:

Those out-of-towners who don't like the yearly spectacular should tune in a Lorne Greene or John Candy movie or watch a Justin Bieber concert.:Shrug:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't watch the Super Bowl, I watched Ninja Turtles.