Astrology

Cookie Snob

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, all! One of my characters is very passionate about astrology. Can anyone tell me what astrological conditions she could reference that would make her believe herb lore is more likely to work at the given time? I basically need something like, "Of course I believe those herbs worked. Mercury's in retrograde right now!" But obviously, I'm looking for something less stereotypical. My story is set in the summer time. Thanks so much!

Gringa

Registered
Reaction score
And Mercury's in retrograde as I type...

Perhaps something to do with the moon? A new moon, an eclipse, a full moon. A new moon's a great time to start something. Summer solstice?

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Wouldn't be Mercury retrograde. (That's for editing. :)) Would probably be a phase of the moon. Maybe herbs planted during a new moon and cut during the full moon?

There are probably websites with the info. And probably books as well. But haven't looked at any of those for years.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Siri Kirpal is right. Herbs are affected by the Moon. Mercury retrograde is harmful to communication. Some herbs are more effective at the New Moon, while others prefer the Full Moon. Some herbal spells would work better with the Sun or a planet in some particular House.

Lyra

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kimfarnell.co.uk
She could administer the herb during the planetary hour related to that particular herb. You need to check in something like Culpeper's Herbal (loads of copies online) for the planetary rulership. (Leaves and roots may have different rulerships, by the way.)

Planetary hours are the same as ecclesiastic hours. The time between sunrise and sunset is divided by 12 and the first hour is named for the planet of the day (e.g. Venus for Friday). Then each hour is associated with a planet in what's known as Chaldean order - Saturn, Jupiter, Mars, Sun, Venus, Mercury and the Moon. When you reach the end, you start again. When you get to sunset a new division is done between sunset and sunrise. (This is much simpler than it sounds.)

See: http://www.renaissanceastrology.com/planetaryhoursarticle.html

http://www.astrology.com.tr/planetary-hours.asp will calculate them for you.

The Moon is used for planting and gathering of the herbs, not necessarily administering them. Except she wouldn't administer herbs during a void Moon as they'd be ineffective (http://www.skyscript.co.uk/gl/void.html) Technically, she should also avoid the Moon in the first fifteen degrees of Libra or Aquarius, end of Libra and start of Scorpio, conjunction, square or opposition Saturn, Jupiter or Mars.

However, the planetary hour is probably good enough for what you want :)

Cuneiform

Registered
Reaction score
It is when the Sun is in Virgo or the Virgin as in the Corn/Grain Virgin. Verdure

BDSEmpire

Kindly Bumpkin
Registered
Reaction score
Since astrology is utter and complete non-scientific bullcrap, you have the freedom to invent anything you want relative to it.

caw

I think you'll find that when the moon is in the Seventh House and Jupiter aligns with Mars then peace will guide the planets and love will steer the stars.

:Sun:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I think you'll find that when the moon is in the Seventh House and Jupiter aligns with Mars then peace will guide the planets and love will steer the stars.

:Sun:

Don't you mess with me. My birthday was yesterday*, so I'm an Aquarius. It's MY age.

caw

* Also the birthday of Michael Jordan, Paris Hilton, and Larry the Cable Guy.

Torill

Not as trollish as you might think
Registered
Reaction score
Since astrology is utter and complete non-scientific bullcrap, you have the freedom to invent anything you want relative to it.
Maybe if you write fantasy you can invent your own astrology, who cares. But if you want to write a believable character who follows the astrology of our world, it makes sense to write according to what that astrology actually teaches. No matter how crap you think it is.

If you want to write about the motivations and actions of a devout Christian, you wouldn't say, well all religion is utter and complete non-scientific bullcrap anyaway, I can make up anything I want relative to it. You would research what Christians actually say and believe, to make your character believable. Same goes for anything else you want to put into your story. You research alchemy if you write about an alchemist, UFO lore if you write about an ufoist etc. etc.

Astrology is an ancient system, and many believe in it. It is logical, once you accept its premises. You don't have to believe in it yourself, but if you're going to write about a character who does, you'd better do your research if you want your character to come across as believable.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Astrology is an ancient system, and many believe in it. It is logical, once you accept it's premises. You don't have to believe it yourself, but if you're going to write about a character who does, you'd better research it or your character won't come across as believable.

Good point, acknowledged.

caw

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
You don't have to believe in it yourself, but if you're going to write about a character who does, you'd better do your research if you want your character to come across as believable.

I would carve this into the walls here, if I could.

This is precisely why we have this little part of the forum. Well said, Torill.

BDSEmpire

Kindly Bumpkin
Registered
Reaction score
Don't you mess with me. My birthday was yesterday*, so I'm an Aquarius. It's MY age.

caw

* Also the birthday of Michael Jordan, Paris Hilton, and Larry the Cable Guy.

Quite a mix of company there. Congrats on the birthday! :)

For the OP, here are a couple handy tools if you want to see what the night sky looked at on a particular date and at a particular place on Earth: https://www.fourmilab.ch/yoursky/ and http://www.astroviewer.com/manual-interactive-night-sky-map.php

It may not come up in your story but it's an easy detail to get correct thanks to these programs.