PDA

View Full Version : Willing to Beta your First Page

TeamWingless
01-30-2015, 04:47 PM
Hi all,

I have some journalism experience that I'm willing to put toward beta-reading anyone's writing. Ideally, I'd like to start with just a first page--because if you don't hook someone by then you're pretty much SOL--but I'm open for longer beta's if everything seems like it's going well.

So PM me anything you need a second pair of eyes on.

Marlys
01-30-2015, 05:02 PM
Do you know about the "Hook me in 200 words or less" threads in the Share Your Work (SYW) section? Sounds like you'd be a natural for those. The most active one is in Science Fiction/Fantasy, and can be found here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122466), but if you browse around, you'll see there's one in most of the genre SYW boards. Password is 'vista.'

TeamWingless
01-30-2015, 07:09 PM
Hey, thanks for pointing that out. I'm not sure if I can post in there yet, or maybe that's just for posting up your own work. My apologies, I'm just getting to know my way around the forums.

Marlys
01-30-2015, 07:13 PM
Hey, thanks for pointing that out. I'm not sure if I can post in there yet, or maybe that's just for posting up your own work. My apologies, I'm just getting to know my way around the forums.

You can't put up your own work until you reach 50 posts, but you can critique all you like--in fact, it's a recommended way of reaching that 50 mark. If other people see you engaging with the community and doing your best to help others, they'll be encouraged to help you later.

Drachen Jager
01-30-2015, 11:30 PM
Actually, on the 200 words or less threads you can post your own work, even if you have fewer than 50 posts. You just can't start a new thread to post longer segments of your work.

And yes, it is highly recommended you spend a bit of time there critiquing and reading the critiques others have posted before you submit your own work for summary execution >ahem<, I mean, our viewing pleasure. ;)

M.S. Wiggins
01-31-2015, 01:24 AM
Page 1

I was born.

Please wait! Don’t leave yet. It was no ordinary birth. Mine was full of mysterious intrigue. I came into this world at a stoplight, on the back of motorcycle.

Nah, just kidding. I was born under a knife at Eastland Memorial. Most people call it a C-section. I call it: totally having fun with this thread.

TeamWingless
01-31-2015, 03:00 AM
Page 1

I was born.

Haha that's actually one of the better first sentences I've read in a while ^_^

TeamWingless
01-31-2015, 03:03 AM
And yes, it is highly recommended you spend a bit of time there critiquing and reading the critiques others have posted before you submit your own work for summary execution >ahem<, I mean, our viewing pleasure. ;)

Oh trust me, I'm looking to be bashed with a big stick...kinda like they do at the Russian bathhouses...hurts so bad...feels so good :P