Important people in your life

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
past and present?

Someone who made a big difference for the good. Someone who taught you something priceless, loved you when no one else did, saved you.

For me it was my maternal grandmother, gone about ten years now. She was the most selfless, giving, nurturing person I've ever had in my life. She was born and raised very poor to immigrant parents, never thought of herself first, or even second, an embodiment of the notion that it is better to give than receive. Simple, found joy in the simplest of things - she once told me that that was her secret to life - but not unintelligent; there was nothing you could tell her that she wouldn't be able to grasp. I have never met anyone before or since who was so comfortable in her own skin. And she raised me for most of my childhood.

While my parents were off doing what a lot of divorced people do, trying to find happiness for themselves, my grandmother, though she worked a full time job in a toy store - what a big bonus for a kid - was always there for me, taught me, an admitted excitement freak, how to find joy in the simple things. And though I still struggle with this, when I get too lost or depressed I hear her words, feel her presence, and it centers me.

How 'bout you? It's good to recognize the people who gave us, taught us, and love us most.

Neegh

Banned
Reaction score
Ray Bradbury

Eric Burdon

Frank Hurburt

My high school art teacher

And my second grade teacher
(who was a god-aweful pscho bitch: may she roast well)

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
i don't really have a good answer to the original question but i do want to say that if anyone needs someone to look up to they can use me.

i'm actually not as terrible as i think i am.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Cray taught me how to love.

But I forgot. I am a bad learner.

My senior year creative writing instructor, who didn't have a bad word to say about a story that I look back at now and realize was poorly-written crap. He was harsh on everyone else, but filled with praise and promise for my story. His encouragement back then kept me holding onto the hope that I could be a writer even after I gave up. If he hadn't given me that, I probably wouldn't be here with you all today. It was a rock to ground me, and I didn't know it then, but I needed it more than all the red pen he could have, should have left on that work.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Cray is filled with awesome. Well, he's actually filled with the stuff that batteries are filled with. But it makes things runs...so he's kinda special.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
My paternal grandmother was my everything.

My Grade 10 English teacher LITERALLY saved my life. He stopped me and asked, "Who hurt you?" And followed through from there...

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
i don't really have a good answer to the original question but i do want to say that if anyone needs someone to look up to they can use me.

i'm actually not as terrible as i think i am.

Hey, I could always use another mentor. But will you love me when the chips are down? That's the real question.

I had a couple teachers who meant a lot to me, too. One that comes to mind was when I took a course on how to tackle my state's teacher's exam, a woman who I'd later find out was an Emmy winner, pulled my essay out of the fifty or sixty she'd reviewed and read it to the class. I'm no longer a teacher, but that helped me believe that I could actually write something that someone else would want to read.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
My paternal grandmother was my everything.

My Grade 10 English teacher LITERALLY saved my life. He stopped me and asked, "Who hurt you?" And followed through from there...

Wow, that was touching. Actual chills.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
My mom. She stepped up when my dad died suddenly. He was 30. There were four of us kids and one on the way. We were instantly poor. She got a job as a waitress, put herself through college, got a MA in Education. She taught us responsibility, gave us a great work ethic, taught us to take care of ourselves and not count on anybody else to do that.

My husband, who also loves and supports me unconditionally.

And people here, without whom I would be sitting in my blue room, by myself, writing for nobody.

Last edited:

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
My mom. She stepped up when my dad died suddenly. He was 30. There were four of us kids and one on the way. We were instantly poor. She got a job as a waitress, put herself through college, got an MA. She taught us responsibility, gave us a great work ethic, taught us to take care of ourselves and not count on anybody else to do that.

My husband, who also loves and supports me unconditionally.

And people here, without whom I would be sitting in my blue room, by myself, writing for nobody.

Really impressive about your mom. When my dad was ten he and his six sisters lost their father when he was in his late 30s. He'd been a bar owner, so his family that had been comfortable became poor overnight. His wife spoke not a word of English, none of the kids were grown, and so they went on Welfare. It changed the trajectory of the family. My father, right out of high school, got into a very perilous profession to support the family and that contributed to his premature death. I was just out of college and the older of two and so I had to pick up the slack. The bigger effect was that neither of my kids ever got to know him.

The fact that your mother was able to keep your family on track, to me, indicates a big heart and a very strong spirit. A lot of pride in there, too.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mrs. Burrell, my high school Typing/Shorthand teacher.

A year after graduation, I was goofing off, looking for love in all the wrong places, and just babysitting every now and then for a bit of pocket change...

My (abusive) foster mother had died, I had no money (or motivation really) for college and no job, and I was walking that thin line between depression and self-destruction.

Mrs. Burrell called me at home (I was very surprised, because I had no idea she knew how to reach me) and told me of a job opening at the YWCA.

She was soft-spoken, but quite firm as she insisted I go and apply for the position as Program Secretary - she said I had excellent skills and it would be a shame for me to let them go to waste.

I felt somewhat embarrassed and humbled that she would take the time to check up on me and present me with an employment opportunity, 'cause I really didn't think anyone cared what I did with my life.

Her supportive and encouraging words were like a big, warm hug, followed by a light and loving kick in the butt.

The next day, I went downtown for the interview, and was hired on the spot.

The rest, as they say, is history and that was over 40 years ago.

I never told Mrs. Burrell how that phone call changed, and yes, saved my life.

Somehow, I think she knew.

Last edited:

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mrs. Burrell, my high school Typing/Shorthand teacher.

Good for your teacher and good for you, Vernie.

My past list is long, beginning with my paternal grandmother and including many teachers in grade school, high school, college, and grad school.

My present list includes people here at AW who would be uncomfortable if named.

So my most important named person is my significant other, Kay. It takes a special tireless and forgiving hearing individual to put up living with one who's totally deaf. I know, because when I could hear, I was the primary go-to guy for my deaf older sister.

Kay's patience overshadows that of the saints as she provides the only set of working ears and audio phone for two people. Without her, I might as well live in a mountain cave.

And she's cute, too. :D

Publius

Hummin', comin', atcha . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, I'm gonna say it, my kids.

They're really the only reason I give a shit about anything anymore. They're the only reason I get up in the morning. And they're the only reason I haven't totally lost it yet.

I apologize for probably ruining an otherwise positive thread, January and February suck in Buffalo.

Seriously though, I didn't realize that someone could care about me they way they do. Even when I'm being a total asshole, they still manage to bring a little bit of good out of me. Before they were born, I had just about had it with everything. I'm actually a much more positive person now.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Kudos to all the great people mentioned. Very moving about your teacher, KTC! And your mother, kkbe.

Mine was my maternal grandmother, who was a New Age person before the New Age, who taught me the power of positive thinking. Who provided a useful additional role model, not that my parents were bad.

Also:

Mr. John Hill, my junior high English teacher (all three years), who taught me really everything I know about good writing.

Dr. Rossi, my junior high chorus teacher, who was also my first vocal coach, who taught me the breathing techniques I now share so often in Conquering Challenges.

My husband, who taught me that it really is possible to make dreams come true.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
. . .I was just out of college and the older of two and so I had to pick up the slack. The bigger effect was that neither of my kids ever got to know him.

The fact that your mother was able to keep your family on track, to me, indicates a big heart and a very strong spirit. A lot of pride in there, too.
You are right, Maze Runner. Sorry about your dad. Your siblings were lucky to have you.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, I'm gonna say it, my kids.

They're really the only reason I give a shit about anything anymore. They're the only reason I get up in the morning. And they're the only reason I haven't totally lost it yet.

I apologize for probably ruining an otherwise positive thread, January and February suck in Buffalo.

Seriously though, I didn't realize that someone could care about me they way they do. Even when I'm being a total asshole, they still manage to bring a little bit of good out of me. Before they were born, I had just about had it with everything. I'm actually a much more positive person now.

No, a very positive post. Kids! Definitely. They keep you positive. At least when you're around them. Maybe we've all dropped a lot of our negative instincts since we've become parents.

You can't welcome a kid into the world and say, "By the way, it is totally absurd." Kids are on a need-to-know basis.

I grew up in northeast, too. But Buffalo's winters are on a different scale.

Seven-Deuce

Registered
Reaction score
My oldest sister. Her constant creativity was always motivating to me. It was friendly competition… usually.

High school music teacher. He was the first one to point out to me that I had a real talent for pitches and intervals. I transferred into his music theory class in the middle of the year and was teaching the class a month later.

My college conducting and orchestration teacher. Never challenge a middle-aged irish catholic to a drinking game! The many evenings I spent pissed as fuck with him, listening to Hindemith and brawling taught me how to listen to music and how to think like a composer.

My ex-wife. Estranged and unfriendly though we may be with each other, that debacle significantly changed my outlook on life, the world, and my relationship with it.

Strange, that's in chronological order.