PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Languages

Thuro
01-29-2015, 07:22 AM
I'm attempting to create a symbol (more than one actually specifically) out of ancient languages (ancient Egyptian, Pictish, East Slavic). However I am having trouble creating one. I'm going to struggle through and attempt to create one. However if there is an expert in ancient languages that would be willing to take a look at the finished piece and tell me if it is in the general ballpark of being correct that would be much appreciated.

Also could someone link some useful online references for a rough translation of ancient languages. Just in general or specifically regarding any of the above mentioned.

Thank you any replies and taking the time to read this.

blacbird
01-29-2015, 11:53 AM
I don't really understand your question, but: ancient Egypt had all kinds of hieroglyphic symbols, notably the ankh. Presumably Pictish people, if they inscribed at all, had some form of runes, but I'm not by any means certain of that. What's your intended genre and audience? And why not just invent something? Doodle?

caw

TheNighSwan
01-29-2015, 11:56 AM
Yeah, your question is confusing: what kind of symbol do you mean?

Friendly Frog
01-29-2015, 02:56 PM
I'm going to assume you're talking about the actual languages behind the ancient scripts, not any other symbols that can be used for more than purely sound-representation.

I think it's highly unlikely you will find an ancient language expert who knows all three, Ancient Egyptian, Pictish and East Slavic. I'm only familiar with two, Egyptian and Pictish, but they come from two different language groups -- insofar that can be established because Pictish writing in Ohgam is frightingly rare and therefor hard to determine what language it actually is.

If you're talking about actual symbols, it's as far as I know not known what the non-ogham symbols on Pictish steles even mean. So that would require massive speculation to mix them well with other culture-symbols.

King Neptune
01-29-2015, 06:09 PM
The frog mentioned the biggest problem in doing something like that; there simply isn't much known of Pictish. There are some records of ancient Slavic. But there's plenty of information about Ancient Egyptian. I don't know what you are planning to make, but if the Egyptian part will be correct, then no one will be able to say with confidence that you are wrong about the rest.

Thuro
01-29-2015, 08:53 PM
King of Neptune. Ah thank you. That would explain why my searches into the subject are coming up dry. That's an interesting point. Make it as accurate as possible and don't worry about the rest.

To everybody else. The reason my question was confusing is because is because I wasn't actually asking a question. Rather if there is a person that could check my work when I'm done. But as King Neptune pointed out there isn't an actual expert in either Pictish or Slavic.

So I kind of guess this is irrelevant now. Let the process of thread burial begin.

King Neptune
01-29-2015, 11:52 PM
King of Neptune. Ah thank you. That would explain why my searches into the subject are coming up dry. That's an interesting point. Make it as accurate as possible and don't worry about the rest.

To everybody else. The reason my question was confusing is because is because I wasn't actually asking a question. Rather if there is a person that could check my work when I'm done. But as King Neptune pointed out there isn't an actual expert in either Pictish or Slavic.

So I kind of guess this is irrelevant now. Let the process of thread burial begin.

There are experts in Slavic languages, but when you get into ancient times, and I am thinking BCE, Slavic languages were exclusively oral, and here is little record of them. From what I know of it, the Slavic languages didn't split into various branches until the early centuries of CE, before then there would have been tribal differences, but the tribes moved all around. The Sarmatians (ancestors of the Poles) were horse barbarians who ranged over the plains that are now parts of Russia and Ukraine along with the Scythians.

I don't think there is any information about ancient Picts, except what the Romans wrote; although there are some Ogham inscriptions that are thought to be Pictish.

snafu1056
01-30-2015, 06:02 AM
Have you ever checked the Omniglot website? Lots of writing systems shown there, both modern and ancient.

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/languages.htm

afarnam
01-30-2015, 11:38 AM
My background is in Slavic linguistics and I've studied the mythology, linguistics and symbols of a lot of other areas. I wouldn't call myself an "expert." I studied old Slavonic but we used primarily transliterated texts. I think what you are looking for is a few people from the field to look at your symbol and say whether or not something jumps out at them as unrealistic, so that you can avoid being called out for it later. Correct? You don't have to be 100 percent accurate in historical fiction. You just have to be accurate on the known parts. The parts that are unknown to the academic world are your playground. In so far as that goes, I hope you can find someone with more knowledge than me but I'll look if you would like.