Issue with a full -- please help

Whimsigirl

wishin' and hopin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethlimbooks.com
Hey everyone,

I happily just got a request for a full, but it's for a manuscript that I've shelved and no longer want to send out to agents because it has pacing and structuring issues.

Is it poor form to write back to the requesting agent and ask whether she'd be willing to look at my current project instead (I'd send a query and sample pages)?

Much thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I happily just got a request for a full, but it's for a manuscript that I've shelved and no longer want to send out to agents because it has pacing and structuring issues.

Is it poor form to write back to the requesting agent and ask whether she'd be willing to look at my current project instead (I'd send a query and sample pages)?

Much thanks in advance.

Tough one. According to your sig line, your shelved novel is contemporary, and the one you're querying is fantasy. Even if the agent takes both, there's a chance she is looking specifically for something she saw in the query for your contemporary. Any chance you can tell her you noticed an issue in the shelved project, and would be happy to send it to her in a few weeks once you've resolved it? Then, whip it into the best shape you can in that time, and send it off. You could include a note about the newer work as well.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that was fast. Best of luck, whatever happened!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Please don't delete your posts like that once your question is resolved: AW is for all of its members, not just you, and other people might have been helped if you'd left it intact.

ETA: Also, I see you asked the same question elsewhere on AW. AW is huge as it is: if people make multiple posts, it will collapse. Please don't. Thanks.

Last edited:

Whimsigirl

wishin' and hopin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Please don't delete your posts like that once your question is resolved: AW is for all of its members, not just you, and other people might have been helped if you'd left it intact.

ETA: Also, I see you asked the same question elsewhere on AW. AW is huge as it is: if people make multiple posts, it will collapse. Please don't. Thanks.

Thanks for the advice, OH. I'll keep that in mind for future reference. But just for clarification, my question on the other thread was similar, but not the same as this one.

Last edited:

Whimsigirl

wishin' and hopin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Tough one. According to your sig line, your shelved novel is contemporary, and the one you're querying is fantasy. Even if the agent takes both, there's a chance she is looking specifically for something she saw in the query for your contemporary. Any chance you can tell her you noticed an issue in the shelved project, and would be happy to send it to her in a few weeks once you've resolved it? Then, whip it into the best shape you can in that time, and send it off. You could include a note about the newer work as well.

Thanks Marlys, I decided to do something similar to what you suggested. I really appreciate the advice.

InkStainedWench

It's a dirty job, but...
Registered
Reaction score
If I may pet-peeve for a moment: Getting a full request after you've already shelved the book suggests this is one of those molasses-paced agents who takes FOREVER to respond to queries. Or maybe one of those silence=no agents.

"Well, better get to that slush pile. What's this? Oh, an MG fantasy about a kid named Harry Potter. Sounds promising..."