Shred! SHREDDDDDDD!

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I just got my new shredder. And it is so much fun!

It got delivered 2 days early and I have loads of paperwork to get rid off after a clear out so.....

OOoh, it's so much fun!

I only stopped cos OH is on the phone........

Shredddddddd!

:e2teeth::e2teeth:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not only is shredding fun, but save a garbage bag of the results, pressing the air out to minimize how much space it takes up, and you've got packing material for fragile items.

Maryn, whose husband is the main shredder here

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Oooh! I never thought of that! Not that I ever send out fragile items.... but I might do just to use it as packing!

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
SHRED!

shred_zpscnze6xia.gif

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

We used to have a cat like that, except he was black/grey/white instead of ginger/white. The toilet paper lived on a shelf too high for him to reach. You just had to remember to get it down before you sat. Still better than finding shreds all over the house.

MM

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Getting deliveries early is always cool. Especially when eager to get at the merchandise. Enjoy !

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
There was me thinking this was going to be about either:

1) 80s hair metal guitar heroes

2) A strongly worded opinion on the size of bits in proper marmalade

:D

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, SHRED! I can see it being something you just can't stop, once started.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do be on the lookout for forgotten staples and paperclips. The first can damage the shredder, while the second can be flung back at you, aimed at your face.

Maryn, glad Mr. Maryn had his glasses on

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I've been checking for staples and what not. It's all old bills and letters and things with my address on.

I'm a bit of a hoarder and have so much paper in the house that I've had to get a grip on myself and decide to only keep bills and statements that are less than 5 years old. All older ones are being shredded.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I need a new shredder.

I had one, and I used it for everything I threw out. Then my husband saw some TV special about little kids getting their fingers caught in shredders and he made me put it on a top shelf in the basement, where it still sits, gathering dust, even though my youngest child is now 12.

I think, at this point, since I trust him with his own pocket knife and chopping vegetables with a chef's knife, he could probably handle Mom having a shredder in her office...

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
The Great Cat Explosion of '08

One time, back around 2008, my mom was shredding papers while I was sitting in a recliner across the room with my two kitties sleeping on my lap.

Everything was fine at first. My mom shredded and the kitties just laid there ignoring the noise while I tried to read the newspaper past all the fur. After a while the shredder started getting full, so my mom took a break to empty it out and then went back to shredding. That's when *it* happened.

I guess the kitties weren't expecting the shredding noise to start back quite so suddenly, because when it did, they both exploded from my lap in terror. One clawed her way up my shoulder and over the top of the recliner while the other scrambled in place until he got his feet under him and used my leg to launch himself across the room.

It all happened so fast I didn't have time to react. I just sat there looking at my mom with my mouth hanging open until I realized I was in pain. Turns out the one kitty had put a few nice puncture wounds in my shoulder and the other one had torn all the way through the six sheets of the newspaper which had been on my lap, and was then still able to put a gash through my pants leg, and my right thigh. Ouch.

To say the least, I still have a scar on my thigh and my mom now always checks to see if there are any kitties on my lap BEFORE she uses the shredder.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
101 Uses for Shreds

... save a garbage bag of the results, and you've got packing material for fragile items.

Or confetti for your next party/celebration. ;)

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
E.F.B., that sounds super painful! One time my cat sliced his claws through The Book of Lamentations. It's hard to read in spots. I guess he didn't like what it said. He wasn't provoked by a paper shredder to do it though. He's just destructive in general.

Another use for shredded paper is to put it in chicken nests as bedding. A co-worker would use it for church functions. I think she used the fluff in raffle baskets.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Bubble wrap has a completely different effect on me. I get into a trance-like state and it has to be forcibly removed from my fingers lest I starve to death.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bubble wrap has a completely different effect on me. I get into a trance-like state and it has to be forcibly removed from my fingers lest I starve to death.

:ROFL:

That's what I thought. You'd require a pop-stopping intervention. :D