SyFy's 12 Monkeys

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone catch the first show or two? I had it set to record on my DVR and finally sat down to watch the first two episodes. I like it. Some great familiar faces from CW's Nikita and Joe from Fringe. "Nerd" finally has a starring role and I think he's rocking it hardcore.

Here's a trailer <LINK>

I know some people love picking apart time travel issues, so I expect that to come up. I'm not an expert on the subject myself and am okay with what they've explained so far. It seems to follow Looper logic.

What I find myself enjoying is that we aren't going to get episode after episode of people saying, "Wow, I just saw something fantastic, but I must be crazy. No, I don't believe in time travel. It's impossible. Therefore, you must spend the whole season convincing my character that it's real...." Which will be nice. They address that right away.

Also, the main female character actually seems to use her brain. She isn't some backseat bystander that gets caught up in the action and becomes a passive element, being whisked from one crisis to another. She's smart and adaptive.

I'm usually pretty picky about pilots now and the first couple of episodes these days--not wanting to invest in something that doesn't have that "spark" from the start. And this had the it-factor that kept me watching.

And bonus points for the producers recreating Brad Pitt's sweater from the original movie. :)

Last edited:

Steve Coate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
coaterack.blogspot.com
Really enjoying the series so far. I like the new treatment of the Goines character (the one played by Brad Pitt in the movie).

My only nit pick, and it's a small one, all other things considered, is that the time travel machine sends Cole not just back in time, but through space as well, as illustrated in the second episode when he shows up in North Korea.

But I'm on board for the duration. Or at least until someone waterskis over a shark.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
My only nit pick, and it's a small one, all other things considered, is that the time travel machine sends Cole not just back in time, but through space as well, as illustrated in the second episode when h
When you consider the fact that the Earth is orbiting the sun and rotating, all time machines would have to send you through space as well, just to keep you in the same place.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
When you consider the fact that the Earth is orbiting the sun and rotating, all time machines would have to send you through space as well, just to keep you in the same place.

This one seems to be sending him precisely to the location he wishes to be at, or at least a very convenient one that he knows in advance. Whereas opening the door to the planet moving in space would probably put you in a vacuum 99.9% of the time?

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
It's kind of interesting that they're remaking/expanding on a movie that was a reboot of a French art film (Le Jetee). The show seems to be wandering pretty far from its roots.

Not necessarily a bad thing, but different.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting episode: The Night Room.

Spoilers...

<<< So, I'm wondering if the skeletal "origin" was Cole. Pale hat-man said it was centuries old, though. Lots of possibilities here. Or, perhaps it was one of the failed time travel experiments from before.... >>>

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Seems that they're setting up a nice dichotomy now. Which would you choose? Correcting the past to save the world? Or, look to the future to save what's risen from the ashes?

hmmmmmmmm

Databear

Registered
Reaction score
I was a big fan of the movie so I watched this with some fear. It's different. Not bad. Two episodes in and I'll probably keep watching.