Status
Not open for further replies.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
Absolutely. I have no problem with her wearing her hair like that, but the diminishing of cultural appropriation by many of those supporting her does bother me.

Agreed. It bothers me just as much as people cussing her out for not knowing she was doing something potentially upsetting. Both are dead wrong far as I'm concerned.

One of my friends is finally letting her hair grow and starting to wear it naturally, and I can tell just by looking at her how transformative it's been for her personally. It's definitely a big deal.

Massive deal really when you've been told all your life that the hair which grows out of your head is ugly. I love my fro, even though care can be pretty involved since my hair is waist length but shrinks to my arm pits.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just the people that gave this 12 year old girl shit for doing something that has been going on for twice as long as she's been alive.
Define "giving her shit".

Calling her names and being cruel and hurtful: yes, that is wrong. Informing and educating her about cultural appropriation, and the history of box braids in African culture: how is that wrong? Esp since she's responded by thanking people who took the time to share their knowledge and feelings with her.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed. It bothers me just as much as people cussing her out for not knowing she was doing something potentially upsetting. Both are dead wrong far as I'm concerned.

Which makes it all the more tragic, IMO. I hope the girl manages to learn a good message from all this, but she's getting the wrong message from both sides.

I blame the Internet.

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
The vikings and wild tribes of northern Europe wore box braids and cornrows. And I'm sure since the dawn of time, little girls the world over have braided their friends' hair neatly out of boredom. I sure did, when I was a kid!

Context is key. You don't see many vikings these days.

That's said, I'm not criticizing her for it.

Neegh

Banned
Reaction score
Define "giving her shit".

Calling her names and being cruel and hurtful: yes, that is wrong. Informing and educating her about cultural appropriation, and the history of box braids in African culture: how is that wrong? Esp since she's responded by thanking people who took the time to share their knowledge and feelings with her.

This is a stupid discussion. White people have been braiding their hair like this for many years; why someone has now decided to make an issue of this at this point is beyond me.

What's next...telling white Rastafarians that they have to shave off their dreadlocks?

Chill...

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
This is a stupid discussion. White people have been braiding their hair like this for many years; why someone has now decided to make an issue of this at this point is beyond me.

What's next...telling white Rastafarians that they have to shave off their dreadlocks?

Chill...

Wow. Just... I would give you a pass since you're apparently new, but I don't think so. Here's a newsflash, Black people have been complaining about this for as long as white people have been doing it. Get over it.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score

Chill...

Discussing appropriation and cultural sensitivity is not stupid.

Chill.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In tears most likely.

;P

I hadn't realised how new you were, so I'm going to be slightly more helpful and suggest you read the stickies - esp the RYFW one. But I'm keeping the popcorn warm and buttery, because I don't see this ending well.

Neegh

Banned
Reaction score
Wow. Just... I would give you a pass since you're apparently new, but I don't think so. Here's a newsflash, Black people have been complaining about this for as long as white people have been doing it. Get over it.

My girlfriend says if someone wants to sit and have someone pull at their hair for 3 or 4 hours then let them.

Resently she let her hair go natual...she looks so 70s

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
Context is key. You don't see many vikings these days.

Oh, we're around. :e2sven:

That's said, I'm not criticizing her for it.

But, inadvertently, it sounds like you and Lillith are saying, "I don't have a problem with it ... but it's wrong, she shouldn't do that again." You're contradicting yourselves.

Neegh

Banned
Reaction score
I hadn't realised how new you were, so I'm going to be slightly more helpful and suggest you read the stickies - esp the RYFW one. But I'm keeping the popcorn warm and buttery, because I don't see this ending well.

Mmmm...buttery.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A join date of 2013 isn't new.

No, but the post-count of 40 to date (and the approach to discussions of cultural appropriation in the PoC thread) seems to suggest that maybe there hasn't been a lot of contact in the intervening months...

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
But, inadvertently, it sounds like you and Lillith are saying, "I don't have a problem with it ... but it's wrong, she shouldn't do that again." You're contradicting yourselves.

Uhh nope.

I don't think she's wrong for wearing her hair that way

Please show me where I said otherwise.

I said I understand why it could rub people the wrong way, and I said hair is a big deal. Nowhere did I say she shouldn't wear her hair like that.

Thinking hair is a big deal doesn't mean I think she's wrong.

Last edited:

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oh, we're around. :e2sven:

Nope, I'm not contradicting myself and neither is Kuwi. I'm saying that I don't have a problem with it, but she should be aware others might take issue with it and for what reason whatever her choice in the future.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I don't have a problem with the girl's hair: she's a child, she meant no harm or insult, she was wholly unaware of the recent history of such braided hairstyles, and I have no personal affiliation with the black/African culture and thus cannot experience any personal insult. However, I do have a problem with cultural appropriation in general, with the fact that a sector of the population have lived for decades with "it's ghetto and trashy when black women wear it, but it's chic and sexy when wihte women wear it", and then are further insulted and demonised by "it's meant as a compliment!" and "what's wrong with those people!" and "PC police gone mad!" and "I wouldn't feel offended, so they shouldn't either!" comments when discussions of cultural appropriation occur.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Free full beta read by yours truly,or a five dollar donation to AW, for anyone who can find a pic of a naked mole rat with cornrows or box braids.

(Yes, I'm probably grossly overvalueing my beta reading skills. So sue me.)

Last edited:

Neegh

Banned
Reaction score
Free full beta read by yours truly,or a five dollar donation to AW, for anyone who can find a pic of a naked mole rat with cornrows or box braids.

(Yes, I'm probably grossly overvalueing my beta reading skills. So sue me.)

My freind has a sheepdog that his girlfriend did-all-up with dreadlocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.