PDA

View Full Version : Do you use drugs when you write?

morngnstar
01-26-2015, 04:06 AM
Before you say no, remember legal drugs count. Where I live that includes marijuana, but no, no I don't. I'm a casual caffeine user, not an addict like most of you, but I was about to pick up a Coke, and I stopped myself. I was afraid it would make my voice all frantic and hyperactive. Of course, being only an occasional user, it affects me more, so maybe you guys can handle it.

Kylabelle
01-26-2015, 04:11 AM
Have you had that happen? I mean, caffeine making your voice become frantic and hyper?

Interesting!

Okay, back in the day, w a a a a y back, long before any of you were even born, surely, I did used to smoke marijuana and compose poetry under the influence. No, it wasn't legal then. Yes, it helped, I am sorry to say, but honestly it did. (No longer, been years.)

I have also written under the influence of alcohol. Intoxicated composing has its charms as well. I am a teetotaler now, but what both of those drugs had in common as a crutch to writing was to loosen something up, open a valve as it were.

I had to revise sober, however.

:D

kuwisdelu
01-26-2015, 04:13 AM
Does alcohol count?

And of course phentermine.

KTC
01-26-2015, 04:14 AM
I did all the drugs in the known universe in my youth. The world is now dry of drugs because of me. I only mainline lattes now. Quad shot raspberry vanilla Latte. Bam.

Marlys
01-26-2015, 04:17 AM
I drink coffee in the morning--but I would whether I wrote that day or not. Tea in the afternoon: ditto. Sometimes I write in the evening after a glass of wine or two. But caffeine doesn't make me hyper and I rarely drink enough wine to turn me into a babbling idiot, so the effects of both are minor.

Unimportant
01-26-2015, 04:25 AM
Before you say no, remember legal drugs count. Where I live that includes marijuana, but no, no I don't. I'm a casual caffeine user, not an addict like most of you, but I was about to pick up a Coke, and I stopped myself. I was afraid it would make my voice all frantic and hyperactive. Of course, being only an occasional user, it affects me more, so maybe you guys can handle it.
Do I deliberately choose to use a drug for the purposes of enhancing my writing? Nope.

Do I write when I have, for whatever reason, ingested a substance that is classified as a drug? Yes. Has it had any effect on my writing? There is no way to tell, as it is impossible to write the same thing twice under controlled took-the-pill vs didn't-take-the-pill circumstances, but I suspect not.

Editing to add: Pity I didn't try writing anything when I was on prescription opiates for a few weeks last year. Might have been interesting to read it afterwards..... At any rate, there's always the delete key!

Jamesaritchie
01-26-2015, 04:27 AM

A Coke affecting your voice? Seriously?

I drink about two pots of coffee per day, and I smoke. neither has anything whatsoever to do with my writing, and neither affects my voice in any way. Never did, even in the beginning.

I also drink a small amount of alcohol, and occasionally put a bit of Jameson or spiced rum in my coffee.

But none of this alters my brain. None of it clouds my thinking. If it did, I'd stop using it. I also write at times and places where I can't use any of this. There's no difference. None.

Any kind of illegal or mind-altering drugs, no. Only a damned fool uses those.

Calla Lily
01-26-2015, 04:33 AM
I'm ridiculously vanilla. Tea and the occasional coffee, plus diet pop. Do wasabi peas count? They're like flamethrowers into the sinuses. Great stuff.

Kuwisdelu, "phentermine", :ROFL: Blast from the past!

Unimportant
01-26-2015, 04:33 AM
That is your opinion, JAR, and you are entitled to it, but I disagree. There are a number of mind-altering drugs that are prescription medicines, the usage of which is highly preferable to their absence for people who suffer from narcolepsy, anxiety, sciatica, Parkinson's, and a zillion other diseases.

Maze Runner
01-26-2015, 04:36 AM
James, c'mon. A lot of people would say anyone who smokes tobacco and drinks hard liquor is a damned fool. I do both as well. After quitting for over ten years I am back on the evil sticks.

As for other drugs, the only thing I'll do now and then is take a few hits off a joint. It will never hurt me physically and at times I've gained insight that I can use. While I'm writing, however, I am stone cold sober.

Neegh
01-26-2015, 04:36 AM
No.

Some coffee at times, though that's mostly in the morning.

If you do enough drugs, you may eventually assimilate them: then it becomes ridiculous to use drugs anymore: because you are drugs, so what’s the point?

Marian Perera
01-26-2015, 04:38 AM
I also drink a small amount of alcohol...

I'm glad to hear alcohol doesn't alter the mind.

Kylabelle
01-26-2015, 04:43 AM
If you do enough drugs, you may eventually assimilate them: then it becomes ridiculous to use drugs anymore: because you are drugs, so what’s the point?

:roll: That must be what happened to KTC.

And possibly, myself. Years ago. Long before any of you were born.

ETA: I also used to smoke quite a lot of tobacco, and would sometimes, when composing, catch myself with two cigarettes burning at one time. It's actually very interesting, having done these things, and now, not doing any of them. There are some intriguing comparisons one can make, but it's all extremely subjective.

Seriously, I don't recommend or suggest that people use drugs. I am even pretty uncomfortable with pharmaceuticals that so many use to manage their mental and emotional health. (Though I'm not judging anyone; I do have concerns about it.) During the years that I did use substances, I had very different attitudes toward some things than I do now. I've learned a trick or two, since then.

Caffeine. One cup of strong coffee in the morning is it, for me.

rugcat
01-26-2015, 04:47 AM
But none of this alters my brain. None of it clouds my thinking. If it did, I'd stop using it. I also write at times and places where I can't use any of this. There's no difference. None.

Any kind of illegal or mind-altering drugs, no. Only a damned fool uses those. Actually, alcohol, caffeine, and even nicotine are mind altering drugs.

Caffeine and nicotine can focus the mind strongly. Alcohol can certainly loosen inhibitions and let the mind roam bit more freely for creative processes.

Just saw a little thing on CNN, an interview with a guy who used to take LSD with Steve Jobs in the early days. Jobs apparently felt LSD increased both his spirituality and his creativity. He was a lot of things, not all of them praiseworthy, but I don't think damn fool really qualifies.

LJD
01-26-2015, 04:48 AM
I drink 3 cups of caffeinated tea a day, often while writing. It has little effect on me. I occasionally have a coffee, which has a noticeable effect, though I'm often not writing when I have coffee. While it affects me, I don't think think it affects my writing much; it just affects how I feel while writing (jittery, wired). I have written while drinking a glass of wine on occasion, but not recently. Also I am currently taking a prescription med that has all sorts of fun side effects, including hallucinations...

M.S. Wiggins
01-26-2015, 04:50 AM
HA! Writing sober...you guys are too funny.

amergina
Generally the writing that I do while on coffee is technical in nature, for the dayjob. Though on weekends, I will write while drinking a cuppa in the morning.

I may have an adult beverage in the evening if I haven't been to the gym.

I do also occasionally take ibuprofen. Especially when I've been to the gym.

I haven't actually noticed my voice changed by any of these, unless I overindulge with the adult beverages. But generally, it takes me something like 4 hours to drink a glass of wine.

Oh! And I take vitamins.

Maze Runner
Just saw a little thing on CNN, an interview with a guy who used to take LSD with Steve Jobs in the early days. Jobs apparently felt LSD increased both his spirituality and his creativity. He was a lot of things, not all of them praiseworthy, but I don't think damn fool really qualifies.

Not to mention Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Ken
01-26-2015, 04:53 AM
re: Coke

Have you ever wondered why Coke comes with a smile? Because it gets you high. They removed the cocaine almost 100 years ago. Why? It was redundant.

In the first 10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system. (100% of your recommended daily intake.) You don’t immediately vomit from the overwhelming sweetness because phosphoric acid cuts the flavor, allowing you to keep it down.

20 minutes: Your blood sugar spikes, causing an insulin burst. Your liver responds to this by turning any sugar it can get its hands on into fat. (And there’s plenty of that at this particular moment.)

40 minutes: Caffeine absorption is complete. Your pupils dilate; your blood pressure rises; as a response, your liver dumps more sugar into your bloodstream. The adenosine receptors in your brain are now blocked, preventing drowsiness.

45 minutes: Your body ups your dopamine production, stimulating the pleasure centers of your brain. This is physically the same way heroin works, by the way.

> 60 minutes: The phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium, and zinc in your lower intestine, providing a further boost in metabolism. This is compounded by high doses of sugar and artificial sweeteners also increasing the urinary excretion of calcium.

> 60 minutes: The caffeine’s diuretic properties come into play. (It makes you have to pee.) It is now assured that you’ll evacuate the bonded calcium, magnesium, and zinc that was headed to your bones as well as sodium, electrolytes, and water.

> 60 minutes: As the rave inside you dies down, you’ll start to have a sugar crash. You may become irritable and/or sluggish. You’ve also now, literally, evacuated all the water that was in the Coke. But not before infusing it with valuable nutrients your body could have used for things like hydrating your system, or building strong bones and teeth.

source: http://dailyhealthpost.com/this-is-what-happens-in-your-body-when-you-drink-a-coke/#ixzz3PstBLKIe

Neegh
01-26-2015, 04:53 AM
Since the Dead have gone it's hard to find really good LSD anymore...so, just as well I don't do that stuff any more.

Underdawg47
01-26-2015, 04:57 AM
Unapologetically, yes I smoke pot sometimes when I write. Many times pot will allow me to think of things I had not considered before. I can't stand coffee, not a fan of alcohol, and quit tobacco over twenty years ago.

kuwisdelu
01-26-2015, 04:59 AM
Have you had that happen? I mean, caffeine making your voice become frantic and hyper?

I have.

Particularly if I've recently partaken in any psychedelic amphetamines.

It seems to activate whatever substances are leftover in one's system.

buz
01-26-2015, 05:05 AM
No drugs, but I do like to lick dart frogs after consuming a clump of well-aged ambergris inside the skin of a hollowed-out gulper eel.

I dunno, different strokes, I guess.

Kylabelle
01-26-2015, 05:13 AM
I have.

It seems to activate whatever substances are leftover in one's system.

Ooh, maybe that's why it's so popular. :D

No drugs, but I do like to lick dart frogs after consuming a clump of well-aged ambergris inside the skin of a hollowed-out gulper eel.

I dunno, different strokes, I guess.

Buz, I would expect no less of you. May your supply of gulper eel skins be ever abundant.

Unimportant
01-26-2015, 05:13 AM
I'm an incurable romantic. I use a different kind of eel.

When an eel bites your knee
As you swim in the sea
That's -- a moray....

kuwisdelu
01-26-2015, 05:14 AM
I love unagi.

Beachgirl
01-26-2015, 05:16 AM
Hell, the only way I could write my first sex scene was by drinking a very strong vodka and coke.

For the day-job, I Must Have Coffee to get through the staff reports and legislative ordinances I have to write.

For my fiction, though, the strongest thing I drink most while writing is diet caffeine-free soda. I usually write in the evening and I can't have caffeine after 6pm or I'll be awake all night. If it's a weekend, I might open a bottle of wine.

Although... I've noticed I do still tend to whip up a couple of cocktails if I have a particularly, um... adventurous sex scene to write.

Lhowling
01-26-2015, 05:19 AM
My writing ritual begins with a couple of hits from my bowl while I'm outside taking in some fresh air. Then, I drink my warm cup of tea. It's awesome! It doesn't make me a better writer, by any stretch of the imagination. When I run out of pot, I have my cup of black tea and keep at it. I've always smoked pot; I don't know if I would call it mind-altering as much as it is mind-loosening. That said, I don't smoke potent strands or anything crazy like that. It's a nice buzz and I like the act of smoking and taking it into my lungs. I just hate smoking tobacco (if I did, I would mostly smoke that instead).

I might drink a GF beer when I write, but rarely. Alcohol's a depressant, so it doesn't give me the motivation or speed I need to keep going. I'd rather save that for socializing or when I don't want to think about my book or any work at all.

morngnstar
01-26-2015, 05:45 AM

Interesting!

Snactually, alcohol does this to me. In vino veritas! I guess I have a lot to say, but my internal editor is pretty strong. The booze knocks him right out.

Not sure I could use it much for writing, though. It would slow down my fingers too much to keep up with my brain (even my mouth can never keep up in this state). Guess I could use one of those voice recorders. But it seems like a bad habit anyway. Needing drugs to perform at your peak sounds like a recipe for substance abuse. This has been a public service announcement.

nighttimer
01-26-2015, 05:50 AM
I'm drinking a beer as I write this. So sue me.

I haven't smoked marijuana in over a decade. I want to, but I don't. :hat:

A Coke affecting your voice? Seriously?

I drink about two pots of coffee per day, and I smoke. neither has anything whatsoever to do with my writing, and neither affects my voice in any way. Never did, even in the beginning.

I also drink a small amount of alcohol, and occasionally put a bit of Jameson or spiced rum in my coffee.

I like how one guy's bad habits are superior to somebody else's bad ones. :rolleyes:

As far as using illegal or mind-altering drugs go...

“I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.”
― Hunter S. Thompson

...there's some pretty good writing by some "damned fools" which has come courtesy of drugs.

kuwisdelu
01-26-2015, 05:53 AM
I'm drinking a beer as I write this. So sue me.

I'd rather drink a beer with you. Actually, I already am.

jjdebenedictis
01-26-2015, 06:08 AM

[Caffeine] seems to activate whatever substances are leftover in one's system.That's interesting! I could see an uptick in heart-rate doing that. Ever notice a similar effect with exercise? (Although exercise can cause some pleasant endorphin effects all on its own.)

Someone my brother knew in high school accidentally overdosed his cat with marijuana (kitty ate a full baggie.) The cat survived, but after that, whenever the owner forgot to feed his cat in a timely fashion, the cat would get high again.

THC is stored in your fat cells. Apparently kitty wound up with a lot of it stored there.

Ahem. Back to the thread topic. I've never done recreational drugs, and I don't drink, but I actually love a nice, moderate (i.e. non-jittery) caffeine high. I think I do get better ideas, and faster, in that state.

I don't notice any quality issues in that state, exactly, other than the fact that when my writing is rushed, I usually find I have to go back and flesh it out later. However, that happens when I'm merely excited, too, not just when I'm jazzed up on a pot of tea and a house-brick of dark chocolate.

kuwisdelu
01-26-2015, 06:11 AM
That's interesting! I could see an uptick in heart-rate doing that. Ever notice a similar effect with exercise?

Not personally, no, since I'm a lazy ass, but I know other people who have, yes.

Emermouse
01-26-2015, 06:52 AM
Aside from the can of Coca-Cola I drink every day and the anti-depressants prescribed for me, I don't take any drugs.

Thing is, I'm kind of curious about drugs. I blame my DARE education I got in elementary school. The way they talk about drugs, like how you'd become instantly addicted and die...yeah, I laugh now, but at the time, being a gullible child, I believed them. I did eventually stopped when I got to high school. Granted I never did anything wild in high school--I was the weird bullied kid who didn't get invited anywhere--but y'know I started hearing stories about kids who did do wild stuff.

Here's the interesting part: the most common drug abused by said high school kids was alcohol, which when you think about it, makes sense. Alcohol is legal. All you need to get it is to have someone older buy it for you, get a fake idea and hope the cashier doesn't check too closely, or raid your parents' stash. About the most out there substance I heard talk about, outside of legal stuff, was pot.

After awhile of hearing these stories, you start noticing a curious lack of people dying as a result of cutting loose. In fact, most of the kids I knew were able to confine their partying to the weekends; they'd cut loose then and function normally the rest of the time. The ones that got really messed up as a result of drugs and alcohol...usually they were the ones who were already kind of messed up to begin with. The drugs/alcohol didn't help, but they weren't the sole cause of said user's dysfunction.

Where am I going with all this? Thing is, I've kind of become curious about drugs. Kind of wanna see what the fuss is all about. Trouble is, because I'm a total square, I don't know the first thing about getting drugs. It's not like I can walk the streets of the nearest city asking, "Hey you wouldn't happen to know where I can score some pot?" In all likelihood, they'll just assume I'm a nutbar or I'm wearing a wire or worst case scenario, I run into an undercover cop who happens to be wearing a wire and I'm screwed. So yeah, I've kind of resigned myself to the fact that I'll never experience what it's like to get stoned and put on a Pink Floyd album.

One final fact for the road: I've read that the DARE program is such a failure that graduates of it are more likely to use drugs than non-graduates.

blacbird
01-26-2015, 07:00 AM
By your definition, anything that might potentially alter your physical state of alertness is a drug. Chocolate is a drug. Ice water is a drug. Fresh air is a drug.

caw

Underdawg47
01-26-2015, 07:08 AM
Aside from the can of Coca-Cola I drink every day and the anti-depressants prescribed for me, I don't take any drugs.

Thing is, I'm kind of curious about drugs. I blame my DARE education I got in elementary school. The way they talk about drugs, like how you'd become instantly addicted and die...yeah, I laugh now, but at the time, being a gullible child, I believed them. I did eventually stopped when I got to high school. Granted I never did anything wild in high school--I was the weird bullied kid who didn't get invited anywhere--but y'know I started hearing stories about kids who did do wild stuff.

Here's the interesting part: the most common drug abused by said high school kids was alcohol, which when you think about it, makes sense. Alcohol is legal. All you need to get it is to have someone older buy it for you, get a fake idea and hope the cashier doesn't check too closely, or raid your parents' stash. About the most out there substance I heard talk about, outside of legal stuff, was pot.

After awhile of hearing these stories, you start noticing a curious lack of people dying as a result of cutting loose. In fact, most of the kids I knew were able to confine their partying to the weekends; they'd cut loose then and function normally the rest of the time. The ones that got really messed up as a result of drugs and alcohol...usually they were the ones who were already kind of messed up to begin with. The drugs/alcohol didn't help, but they weren't the sole cause of said user's dysfunction.

Where am I going with all this? Thing is, I've kind of become curious about drugs. Kind of wanna see what the fuss is all about. Trouble is, because I'm a total square, I don't know the first thing about getting drugs. It's not like I can walk the streets of the nearest city asking, "Hey you wouldn't happen to know where I can score some pot?" In all likelihood, they'll just assume I'm a nutbar or I'm wearing a wire or worst case scenario, I run into an undercover cop who happens to be wearing a wire and I'm screwed. So yeah, I've kind of resigned myself to the fact that I'll never experience what it's like to get stoned and put on a Pink Floyd album.

One final fact for the road: I've read that the DARE program is such a failure that graduates of it are more likely to use drugs than non-graduates.

You could always take a trip to Washington state or Colorado and try pot legally.

jjdebenedictis
01-26-2015, 07:31 AM
Chocolate is a drug. Ice water is a drug. Fresh air is a drug.Love is the drug. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n3OepDn5GU)

BenPanced
01-26-2015, 07:43 AM
Grace Jones thinks so, too. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdJiIP3KQfo)

I really can't use too many things recreationally any longer. Too many adverse reactions and too much potential for addiction. I'm just happy with my coffee, water, or diet Mountain Dew.

dondomat
01-26-2015, 08:28 AM
Lee Child smokes pot after the writing for the day is done, to muse about what comes tomorrow.

I remember a Martin Amis interview, where he states that hash is good to think up characters and bits of plot, but writing as such should be done sober. I remember him also saying something along the lines that the high from drugs (in the weed/speed/acid sense) releases pent-up mental and nervous energy and in essence depletes today's reserves (and learning to not waste this is what differentiates artists from losers and abusers) and one should allow the mind and body to collect another batch for some time, before depleting it all in one burst of high again.

I find this logic persuasive. It's one thing to approach visionary plants and artificial alternatives with respect and only on occasion, like the shamanic ancestors did, quite another to approach them like just another market product like skittles, to be popped all the time.

In this sense always being stoned is running on empty, even if it's a jolly and wacky empty.

I personally go into This Is Spartaaa! mode when writing--teetotaler vegetarian jogging health Nazi--and only morph into a pizza-imbibing degenerate on weekends.

...Back when I was a smoker, cigarettes helped focus, helped relax, helped wake up, and helped go to sleep. They were a measuring unit of time, of space, of productivity, of laziness, of moodiness, and of happiness.

Kitty27
01-26-2015, 08:44 AM
I drink tons of coffee. I absolutely love the stuff. I can't quit! I always have a pot ready when I write. That might explain why I go on 12 hour writing binges. Folger's has me geeked out of my mind and beating the hell out of my keyboard.

I haven't touched weed in years. I drink alcohol maybe twice a year. I quit smoking over a decade ago,but still have the urge to smoke when I am stressed.

Brightdreamer
01-26-2015, 08:49 AM
Love is the drug. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n3OepDn5GU)

Strange, I always thought love was a battlefield... but, then, I was raised in the 80's. ;)

Personally, the hardest drug I hit is chocolate, and I rarely do it while writing - it's a pain to clean off the keyboard. I've always had such a weird, easily-triggered imagination that I never saw the point of using drugs. (I also have few enough brain cells that I can't risk toasting any more.) Plus, there's alcoholism and addictive behaviors down both sides of the family tree, making me very reluctant to dabble in the stuff. If I want to play Russian roulette, I'll use a gun; it's quicker and cheaper. And less likely to take out other people.

And, because I've been thinking of it the whole thread: Drugs Are Like That (http://www.hulu.com/watch/345462) (Drug "educational" short, Rifftrax version, via Hulu)

Thewitt
01-26-2015, 10:33 AM
I do a line between chapters... which is how I can write 8500 words a day.....

Aiyooo

rugcat
01-26-2015, 11:40 AM
And of course Philip K Dick was well known for his massive use of amphetamines which enabled him to crank out his novels at an astounding rate, staying up for days at a time and pounding on the typewriter.

dondomat
01-26-2015, 11:53 AM
Dick later claimed it was placebo effect; that he needed to believe something helped him be so productive. I personally find it difficult to believe anything he says after circa 1965:)
Time Out of Joint is one of my all time favorite sci-fi novels ever.

chompers
01-26-2015, 12:07 PM
I once tried writing while drinking. I couldn't do it. I can handle alcohol very well, but it relaxed me and I need to really concentrate when I'm writing.

I'm a habitual tea drinker. I can't handle coffee very well. It makes me jittery.

dondomat
01-26-2015, 12:40 PM
The great Kingsley Amis (dad of Martin), one of literature's last great lovers of alcohol, only started drinking after finishing writing for the day, in the early evening, like Lee Child's pot.

And me too, if I drink a glass of vodka or brandy in mid-scene--that's all for today, folks. Complete demoralization and the only desire remaining is to curl up in front of the TV and doze off.

gothicangel
01-26-2015, 01:17 PM
God, no. Anyone who has tried to write while taking anti-depressants knows my reason why.

I drink a lot of coffee, but that's just me and not related whatsoever to my writing.

Putputt
01-26-2015, 01:41 PM

As you swim in the sea
That's -- a moray....

*groan*

I sometimes have caffeine. And carbs. And protein. Basically, food. I have food.

I can't write when tipsy because I mis-type everything, and as for drugs...well, when I was in college, I ate a weed brownie and I was suddenly sooper inspiredballs, so I started scribbling down random stuff which I swore were the most brilliant things anyone had ever written down in the history of the world. The next day, I looked over what I wrote.

"My hands are mountains. Woooowwww. They are like totally mountains. Whoaaaaa. I am moving mountains arounddddd crazyballs!"

So that didn't really work out. :D

mccardey
01-26-2015, 01:51 PM
I once tried writing while drinking. I couldn't do it. I can handle alcohol very well, but it relaxed me and I need to really concentrate when I'm writing.

I'm a habitual tea drinker. I can't handle coffee very well. It makes me jittery.

Tea. :Hug2: I love tea.

I'm one of those people whose workday is over if they so much as pour a glass of anything stronger than tea. But tea is very good.

On the other hand, I do enjoy a glass or two once I'm finished. I'm not a total teetotaller.

Laurasaurus
01-26-2015, 02:51 PM
I did purposely get drunk and try to write once. I ended up with half a page of nonsense and had to have a little sleep on the hallway floor.
I'm just not cool enough to be Hunter S. Thompson.

StoryofWoe
01-26-2015, 03:05 PM
Caffeine makes me a more effective human. Anything else just gets in the way.

Shara
01-26-2015, 05:07 PM
I was about to say no, I've never touched drugs, but I think it's possible I am addicted to sugar.

My early-morning writing sessions in Starbucks before work are accompanied by a muffin or something even more sugary like a cinnamon bun, and a soya latte with sugar in.

I am generally quite productive at that time in the morning, and I think the sugar kick-starts my brain.

I don't drink coffee at any other time. In fact I don't actually like anyone else's coffee - only Starbucks.

I am, however, a big tea drinker. I will get through five or six cups in the average working day. And one sugar in each one. For a while I tried to switch to sweetener, but that's no better for you than sugar is so I switched back. At least sugar is less carcinogenic. I can't drink tea without sugar in.

I also like the odd glass of wine. But I don't write under the influence of it. I feel it dulls my brain, and what I write won't be any good.

This is an interesting thread, though. There are several writers in history who have used some form of addictive substance to write, and confess to being at the point, at some stage, where they feel they can't write without being under the influence of their drug of choice.

Are writers more likely to have addictive personalities than non-writers?

eyeblink
01-26-2015, 05:28 PM
I used to drink far too much coffee that was good for me, but have now cut down and most days don't have any after mid-afternoon. I can also drink tea, but prefer coffee.

My only other substance usage is alcohol, but that's when I'm in pub. I may have wine now and again when I feel like it. And I've established a tradition of having a small glass of something - originally Hungarian pálinka (schnapps), more recently Polish Żubrówka (bisongrass vodka) - when I finish a first draft.

I've never smoked in my life, but the odd thing is, I notice an awful lot of my characters are smokers.

As to whether it affects my writing one way or another, no I don't think it does.

BethS
01-26-2015, 05:47 PM
A nice cup of black tea. I find it helps with concentration. Or I imagine it does anyway.

Perks
01-26-2015, 06:03 PM
I can't write drunk. In fact, I can't actually get drunk. I can get asleep, but not drunk.

That said, a whiskey for company while I'm writing has never been anything but pleasant.

Tried writing once when I'd taken a Percoset. That went nowhere. I think I spent those warm, fuzzy hours chatting with you lovely people here on AW.

Oh, and I do drink coffee.

bearilou
01-26-2015, 06:54 PM
and occasionally put a bit of Jameson or spiced rum in my coffee.

*looks at coffee* brb, going to the liquor store.

Because caffiene from coffee does nothing for me. I just like drinking coffee.

If I drink too much alcohol, I get happy (or mean, depending on the alcohol) and then sleepy.

May your supply of gulper eel skins be ever abundant.

Best. Blessing. Ever.

Myrealana
01-26-2015, 07:55 PM
I am addicted to caffeine. I'm not afraid to admit it. If I don't get my morning coffee, then by noon, I'm dealing with a headache and nausea that no amount of Advil will correct.

I'm also overly-sensitive to caffeine. If I have more than that one cup of coffee, I get all jittery and sick. If I have caffeine after 2:00pm, I won't be able to get to sleep.

It's a delicate balance.

Other than my morning coffee, which has generally worn off by the time I start writing, usually 3:00 in the afternoon, and the occasional Advil for head or back aches, I don't get high on anything but music while I write.

williemeikle
01-26-2015, 09:22 PM
Only caffeine these days, although I do use experiences from my much younger days in my fiction - the mushrooms were especially interesting for some of the more cosmic ideas...

Publius
01-26-2015, 10:34 PM
4 cups of coffee in the morning, 3 in the afternoon.

Can't write drunk. MJ's good for ideas, but that's about it.

Marian Perera
01-27-2015, 01:52 AM
I'm at four cups of tea a day, black with milk but no sugar. I'd like to cut it down to three cups.

OJCade
01-27-2015, 02:24 AM
I have a glass of wine or beer when I'm writing sometimes.

Honestly, though, the drug of choice is sugar. Snowballs, to be precise - you know those chocolate coated coconut marshmallow things? I try not to have them very often, otherwise I'd be the size of a hippo, but when I'm really, truly stuck at writing I use them as bribes. "Okay, self, another 250 words and you can have a snowball".

Sadly, it works.

dondomat
01-27-2015, 06:27 AM
Are writers more likely to have addictive personalities than non-writers?

"Addictive personalities" is kinda devoid of meaning stated like this.

I would rephrase that into: "Are writers prone to use, and even become dependent on, substances or practices that suppress anxiety and/or give a feeling of confidence and/or kickstart a flight of ideas?"

"the mushrooms were especially interesting for some of the more cosmic ideas... " + 1000 These days there's an online experience repository which is a gold mine. https://www.erowid.org/psychoactives/psychoactives.shtml
Read, modify for fiction, thank in afterword, donate.

L M Ashton
01-27-2015, 06:30 AM
I'm probably the most boring person here. No coffee, no tea, no alcohol, no smoking, no marijuana, no illegal substances, not even any painkillers even though I'm in chronic pain (painkillers don't work on me, so no point). No recreational drugs or substances of any kind.

The closest I get is chocolate, and I'm not sure that that will even be a part of my life anymore - I'm in the process of determining if I'm allergic to chocolate or not. So I suppose the closest I get now is vanilla ice cream.

CrastersBabies
01-27-2015, 06:36 AM
Caffeine, yes.

I've never been someone who wants to get lost in drug-addled crap that I vomit on a page and call, "brilliant." Then again, I got most illegal drugs and alcohol out of my system in my early 20's and am not giving many effs about that stuff at this point in my life.

Caffeine, though. Yes, precious. Yes.

RightHoJeeves
01-27-2015, 06:52 AM
I tried to write when I took LSD, but for some reason my hand wouldn't move. I seem to remember my whole body getting really annoyed with my right hand. Then when I actually managed to write a few sentences, I read them back and realised I had skipped every second word. Then I gave up and stood on a chair in my backyard with my head in a tree.

The moral to the story? Drugs are great.

Chasing the Horizon
01-27-2015, 07:11 AM
I take prescription stimulants for my ADD, and those are definitely helpful for writing. I'm also a terrible caffeine and nicotine addict, both of which also help with energy and focus.

I love alcohol, but sadly have found that it doesn't mix well with writing. It makes focusing so hard I usually give up and go watch TV while eating terribly fattening snacks. *sigh*

ETA: I did the whole illegal drug thing as a teenager, but can't say there are any I particularly want to do again or think would help with my creativity. Everything either made me paranoid or happy to lie there looking at the pretty colors, neither of which is conducive to productivity.

C.bronco
01-27-2015, 07:24 AM
Before you say no, remember legal drugs count. Where I live that includes marijuana, but no, no I don't. I'm a casual caffeine user, not an addict like most of you, but I was about to pick up a Coke, and I stopped myself. I was afraid it would make my voice all frantic and hyperactive. Of course, being only an occasional user, it affects me more, so maybe you guys can handle it.Nope. I don't think caffeine-free Diet Pepsi counts.

Roxxsmom
01-27-2015, 07:45 AM
Haven't smoked dope in years. I found it rather demotivating, actually. I was the kind of "stoned person" who would just sort of lose track of time and think about what I wanted to do but never get off my butt to do it. Fortunately, I was never more than a very occasional, "take a couple of hits at a party" kind of user.

I was on and SSRI drug (prozac) off and on for a few years when I was battling depression. It didn't alter my thought processes, exactly, but it made me more emotionally resilient, and it helped with my overall energy level. I was still able to think, write and work when taking it. Actually, one aspect of depression for me is demotivation and being tired all the time, along with being too self-critical, so anti-depressants helped there. Depressed, nothing I write or create is anything but complete and utter crap to be tossed in the fire.

I'm not sure I'd have been able to finish grad school without the SSRI and the therapy I got.

These days, I have a strong cup of coffee first thing in the morning, and an occasional hot tea or soda later in the day. And now and again (no more than 1x a week) I'll have a beer or glass of wine. I don't think one drink has much effect on my writing (though I've never done a controlled experiment to test this). More than one does, however. Makes me fuzzy headed.

All of these drugs and medications are mind altering to varying degrees, but I don't think my use has tended to cross the line into what most people would call foolish. But medications and recreational substances are things that some people have strong feelings about. There are people who refuse to take ibuprofin or tylenol when they have a fever or a headache because they believe that they should be able to control the pain or discomfort themselves, or that experiencing it helps them grow in some way. I personally would rather take the drug (as directed) and feel better so I can get on writing pain free. But I'd be worried if I were regularly using a recreational drug or substance to motivate myself to write (as opposed to treating a symptom that was interfering with normal functioning).

C.bronco
01-27-2015, 07:54 AM
Does alcohol count?

And of course phentermine.

That brings back fond memories!

CrastersBabies
01-27-2015, 08:08 AM
It's funny, I just saw a documentary on Kerouac and Leary in the 60's. I remember thinking: Wow, sloppy. Just so uninspiring. I know their work is regarded well, but meh . . . I just can't see the appeal.

dondomat
01-27-2015, 08:27 AM
Leary as such is an idea generator, but the structure for those ideas needs to come from some second person who can actually...structure. Like Robert Anton Wilson. A book by this team can open floodgates if the timing is right.

nighttimer
01-27-2015, 10:21 AM
I'm probably the most boring person here. No coffee, no tea, no alcohol, no smoking, no marijuana, no illegal substances, not even any painkillers even though I'm in chronic pain (painkillers don't work on me, so no point). No recreational drugs or substances of any kind.

The closest I get is chocolate, and I'm not sure that that will even be a part of my life anymore - I'm in the process of determining if I'm allergic to chocolate or not. So I suppose the closest I get now is vanilla ice cream.

Aha! SUGAR! :yessmileyU R soooooo busted!

BenPanced
01-27-2015, 10:33 AM

As you swim in the sea
That's -- a moray....
When an eel
bites your heel
in the park
after dark,
that's a moray...

Becky Black
01-27-2015, 02:48 PM
Caffeine and maybe some painkillers when my back is playing up. Otherwise, nope. I won't even go on the PC if I've had a few drinks. I always fear I'll wake up the next morning next to the Yahoo toolbar and never ever be able to get rid of it...

RikWriter
01-27-2015, 04:50 PM
I've written while drunk a couple times. It actually wasn't too bad, although it had a bunch of typos.

Bryan Methods
01-27-2015, 06:25 PM
Caffeine only for the writing! I've tried various other things for music, but while it may have been more fun to do, it never helped the performance.

Drugs tend to make you THINK you're doing things better than usual, but it may not actually be true...

stormie
01-27-2015, 06:36 PM
In answer to the OP--nope, because I'm already loopy.

:)

bearilou
01-27-2015, 06:36 PM
I won't even go on the PC if I've had a few drinks. I always fear I'll wake up the next morning next to the Yahoo toolbar and never ever be able to get rid of it...

:ROFL: I brayed like a donkey.

...maybe because I kind of identify.

By maybe, I mean really.

Bolero
01-27-2015, 07:24 PM
Tea and coffee - saw documentary recently where they got various people to do tests which required concentration and skill, with and without tea and coffee, and the result is they have a much bigger effect on people who don't normally drink them. Those who do normally drink them adjust, and are under par when they haven't had their tea/coffee.

Other than that, original question, no.
If I am off colour enough to actually take a nurofen, then I am sufficiently shut down to be totally uncreative. Might run a spell checker over something already written, but other than that, time to lie in a heap and read a book or go to sleep.

morngnstar
01-27-2015, 07:27 PM
Tea and coffee - saw documentary recently where they got various people to do tests which required concentration and skill, with and without tea and coffee, and the result is they have a much bigger effect on people who don't normally drink them.

Positive or negative? Have you seen the webs spun by spiders given caffeine? They're all chaotic.

JHFC
01-27-2015, 09:33 PM
Never. I usually don't drink coffee, and almost never do when I write. Alcohol makes me fuzzy and I don't get the inspiration others seem to get from it.

Other drugs are illegal and I have a family, so even if I wanted to I have to think about them first.

morngnstar
01-27-2015, 10:52 PM
Drugs tend to make you THINK you're doing things better than usual, but it may not actually be true...

Sometimes that helps, though. It gets you past doing nothing because you're too self-critical. With writing you can clean it up later when sober. Unlike driving.

kuwisdelu
01-27-2015, 11:05 PM

Aha! SUGAR! :yessmileyU R soooooo busted!

Phenylalanine for the chocolate, actually, which is an antidepressant and promotes dopamine production.

MarkEsq
01-27-2015, 11:32 PM
So this happened. A week ago I strained my back pretty badly (playing squash, for heaven's sake). I took four days off from work and sat on the couch, taking pain meds and a muscle relaxant. In four days I wrote 25k words. Sure, I was glued to the couch, but I watched some TV, chatted with my wife (who works from home) and wasn't going nuts about writing. Or so I thought.

Who knew that a drug designed to relax the body can make you write so much/fast?!

rugcat
01-28-2015, 12:33 AM
Positive or negative? Have you seen the webs spun by spiders given caffeine? They're all chaotic. However, the drugs spun by spiders given LSD can be quite elegant.
Bizarrely enough, low doses of LSD actually result in more ordered spider webs, while higher doses (and all doses of other drugs) result in more disordered webs.

http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/2013/07/06/weekend-diversion-spider-webs-on-drugs/

Emermouse
01-28-2015, 05:21 AM
It's funny, I just saw a documentary on Kerouac and Leary in the 60's. I remember thinking: Wow, sloppy. Just so uninspiring. I know their work is regarded well, but meh . . . I just can't see the appeal.

I often wonder what it was like to be a woman in the Beats' inner circle. Supposedly Joyce Johnson wrote a memoir about her time with them called Minor Characters. Haven't read it, but yeah, the preening romanticism people have for the Beat Poets, gets on my nerves.

From what I can tell, the Beats spent most of their time getting drunk or high and siring a long line of illegitimate children. So yeah, they might have had fun, but gotta wonder about the women they left behind, after they got bored and moved onto the next conquest. Also, again, there's a reason that lifestyle doesn't come with a long life expectancy. Anyone who exposes the philosophy, "Live fast, die young, and leave a good-looking corpse," will probably changed their tune the first time they visit a morgue. No one looks good at room temperature, no one.

Plus the Beat Poets were the inspiration for a lot of shitty stream-of-conscious verse and I find that unforgivable.

JustSarah
01-28-2015, 06:16 AM
The question possibly be rephrased as, "Do you have specific drinks you like to make that get you in the zone."

To answer the question, I prefer drinking an espresso. Followed by a bottle of beer. I prefer to be in a paradoxical state of fully awake and partially asleep.

dondomat
01-28-2015, 06:52 AM
Plus the Beat Poets were the inspiration for a lot of shitty stream-of-conscious verse and I find that unforgivable.

Unforgivable
Un for givable
not givable
not for
because the un
the non
the not
the angry breast!
abreast
with penises
not givable

Anyway, the Beats were creative types at an age when creative types had license to be assholes, coupled with an earlier version of patriarchy, when a husband could, among other things, simply have the wife committed because "she's behaving irrationally", and the psychiatrist would automatically go into bitches be crazy male solidarity mode, as poster boys of sanity Fitzgerald and Philip K Dick did to their wives, and Virginia Woolf got done to her, and the million variations thereof. Like the Kennedy clan that actually lobotomized a younger female member for being too primaly sexual and thus getting in the way of their collective careers.

In a sense, the Beats and the hippies helped, intentionally or not, to loosen this system of control and punishment, and the generations of young women who gave themselves up to a manic lifestyle of promiscuity, creativity, and being stoned, no less than the second wave feminists, and maybe more, helped convince the patriarchy on a primal level, that they too really are human, just like the womanizing drunks they screw. IMO.

So have a drink or light a joint in honor of those whose fast burning out and public bad taste helped shock the system into minimizing institutional fascism.

Bolero
01-28-2015, 01:25 PM
Positive or negative? Have you seen the webs spun by spiders given caffeine? They're all chaotic.

As I remember it, increased focus, no loss of sense. The folks in withdrawal were under par - less focus, not concentrating.
They were doing tests on a computer, not building anything.
Don't know of the relative doses of caffeine regarding human and spider. The humans were on a couple of cups of coffee.

The really striking one was diet - eating a diet which dropped sugar in the bloodstream had a really negative effect on performance at the same kind of tests. (A no-carb diet basically.)
Same on athletic performance - no glucose for the muscles to burn.

And wandering a little off topic - saw an interview with the Olympic cyclist - Wiggins (?) - as part of the dietary experiment documentary and he said his training regime was lots of jam sandwiches. Not special products at all.

@Dondomat - love your poem. I've never read the Beat poets, suspect now I don't have to. :D

Not so sure about your hypothesis. I've definitely heard of some of the incidents you mention, like the Kennedy one, but not entirely sure about your conclusions on why the sixties were beneficial. There had already been a slow climb in women's legal status - married women's property act, getting the vote, standing as councillors and MPs. Some of this was achieved by ardent campaigning, some by women in WW1 proving themselves in the "male" workplace and so on. I would also think in terms of psychiatry that the (gradual) increase in female medical practitioners should have helped - but that is just speculation on my part. Thinking this could be an interesting discussion, but maybe it should be done in a "child" thread if such a thing is possible - or just a new one.

Layla Lawlor
01-28-2015, 01:46 PM
I drink tea more or less constantly while I'm writing, not for the caffeine so much as just enjoying something handy to sip on. Coffee, I've noticed, is actively detrimental to my ability to concentrate and therefore to write; my attention span goes to heck and so does my writing.

I'll sometimes write while drinking (wine or beer), and it actually seems to help me in small doses. The inhibition-lowering nature of it is good when I'm stuck -- it helps me let go of my anxiety about the story and just go with the flow. More than a couple of drinks, though, just blows my concentration like coffee does; I can't hold enough of the story in my head at once to proceed with it.

Once, long ago, my sister and I tried an experiment at writing while stoned. Neither of us had been stoned before. I ended up with a hilarious stream-of-consciousness mess. Never again! :D

jjdebenedictis
01-28-2015, 08:58 PM
The really striking one was diet - eating a diet which dropped sugar in the bloodstream had a really negative effect on performance at the same kind of tests. (A no-carb diet basically.)

Same on athletic performance - no glucose for the muscles to burn.I remember hearing about a study that found people who eat a lot of carbs and sugars tend to need a hit of sugar to (mentally) function at peak performance. People who don't eat a lot of carbs and sugars were okay without, i.e. their system hadn't come to rely on ready access to quick calories.

Athletes definitely need to provide fuel to their body, though. I remember reading an account by someone lamenting what she'd seen in a high school swim team competition. On one of the teams, the young women were very lean and beautiful; they looked like supermodels. Other teams, however, had a range of body types with the common denominator being that everyone looked fit.

The "supermodel" team got utterly thrashed in the competition. It might have been a bad coach, or it might have been a toxic culture that had developed among the team, but that group had obviously focused on being thin rather than being fit, and the fact they hadn't fueled their bodies ended up tanking their performance.

A friend of mine who'd been on swim teams growing up said her coaches were pretty clear: You're an athlete. You need food. Eat all you want, just don't eat junk.

BenPanced
01-28-2015, 10:49 PM
Allen Gingsberg's HOWL and Other Poems might have been written under the influence (not sure, just guessing), but it's pretty damned amazing, taking its place in not only the Beat movement and American poetry, but also in GLBT literature of the mid 20th century.

Unimportant
01-28-2015, 10:54 PM
When an eel
bites your heel
in the park
after dark,
that's a moray...

Eels in parks would be all friendly and gregarious, wouldn't they? Yanno. Social morays. :D :D :D

morngnstar
01-28-2015, 11:08 PM
When an eel
bites your thigh
from a hole
you can't spy
That's a moray!

Roxxsmom
01-28-2015, 11:52 PM
Caffeine and maybe some painkillers when my back is playing up. Otherwise, nope. I won't even go on the PC if I've had a few drinks. I always fear I'll wake up the next morning next to the Yahoo toolbar and never ever be able to get rid of it...

Hahaha! Having had a few incidents with that sneaky (and unwanted) Yahoo toolbar that didn't even involve alcohol, this is all too true.

Mr Flibble
01-29-2015, 12:12 AM
I have tea on the go constantly (whether writing or not). I gave up smoking a few months ago*, but I still use nicotine -- I vape. And I have been known to write while under the influence of the demon drink. But not too much -- if you get to the point you have to squint at the screen, makes it tricky. :D It does seem to loosen up something in the brain though. Haven't smoked dope for years -- way before I started to write. I think that probably would have an effect, but good or bad? Don't know.

*Wow almost six months!

M.S. Wiggins
01-29-2015, 02:15 AM
I vape, too, Mr. Flibble. I stopped smoking the real things two years ago. Every once in a grand while, I do miss them. I think it's the smell of dried tobacco that I miss more than setting fire to it.

Booze? Well, I'm having a glass of chardonnay as I type this. I'm a lightweight, though, and have to dilute with club soda. Elsewise, I'd be swinging from the chandeliers...and probably singing off-key rather than writing.

Brightdreamer
01-29-2015, 02:45 AM
Eels in parks would be all friendly and gregarious, wouldn't they? Yanno. Social morays. :D :D :D

Yeah, but if they're hanging out on land, in a park, and being all friendly and gregarious, I don't think they'd be properly called moray eels anymore. They'd be more like ex-rays.

Atlantis
01-29-2015, 03:03 AM
I've never tried anything. I wouldn't mind trying weed but my husband works in drug enforcement so I'm kinda living in party poop central. Oh well. I don't want him to lose his job.

Maze Runner
01-29-2015, 03:47 AM
my husband works in drug enforcement.

That oughta clear the room.

Underdawg47
01-29-2015, 04:13 AM
That oughta clear the room.

I am glad I live in a state where pot is legal.

EvolvingK
01-29-2015, 04:17 AM
So I had the opposite experience to a lot of people when I finally caved and went on SSRIs. I'd spent a decade in miserable, crushing depression, convinced that if I let the drugs help, I'd be completely unable to create.

Funny thing, when the choice came down to suicide or drugs, and I decided to take the drugs because I have little kids and didn't want that for them--it turned out that I was a lot more creative when half my brain wasn't thinking up ways to accidentally off myself.

I wish to hell I had that decade back.

Other than the coffee and prescription SSRIs, no drugs. Booze hits me way too hard now, and I've never been a smoker.

Niiicola
01-29-2015, 05:48 AM
If I have a drink or two before I'm supposed to write, it kills my motivation and I end up waffling around on Twitter or something equally dumb instead. If I have a glass of wine/beer/scotch just as I'm about to start writing, or shortly after, I find it can be really helpful in the drafting stages when I'm feeling stuck or intimidated by the scale of what's ahead of me.

ETA: Oh, and I really like critting queries when I'm a little bit buzzed. I have no idea why.

I quit smoking ages ago, but I bet if I still did it'd make me more productive. I used to love staying up late in college, cranking out papers, listening to music, and chainsmoking. Gross, I know, but sometimes I miss it.

Emermouse
01-29-2015, 06:46 AM
In a sense, the Beats and the hippies helped, intentionally or not, to loosen this system of control and punishment, and the generations of young women who gave themselves up to a manic lifestyle of promiscuity, creativity, and being stoned, no less than the second wave feminists, and maybe more, helped convince the patriarchy on a primal level, that they too really are human, just like the womanizing drunks they screw. IMO.

So have a drink or light a joint in honor of those whose fast burning out and public bad taste helped shock the system into minimizing institutional fascism.

I should probably clarify. While admit that I've read the Beats stuff and found it not to be my cup of tea, I do believe their movement was important and that they should be taught.

Like I said, it's the preening romanticism people have for them that bugs me. Yeah, they wrote some cool stuff, but like I said, there's a reason that lifestyle doesn't come with a long lifespan and while you may think it sounds cool to live fast, die young, and leave a good-looking corpse, it's not so cool to the family and friends who have to deal with what's leftover afterwards. Besides, while On the Road is considered the Bible for many self-proclaimed Beats and misfits, you have to remember that ultimately the characters in the book didn't have a rollicking good time; in fact, they never find what they were looking for in their long road trip across America.

But speaking as someone who has struggled with mental illness, I've always felt the Tormented Artist Whose Creative Demons Fuel His/Her Work trope needs to DIAF. Whenever I'm in the throes of Depression, I have a hard time getting out of bed and pretty much all my creativity goes out the window, given that I'm crushed under the weight of my own emotions. But ever so often, there's some idiot who goes on TV and criticizes anti-depressants, saying something along the lines of "Where are all the artists and writers going to come from?" My response is: maybe the tortured artist whose torment you romanticize, would have produced more if they had something to keep their demons under control. Because seriously however romantic the trappings my look on the outside, it's not romantic to those actually suffer from mental illness, not to mention those who love someone afflicted with mental illness.

Okay rant over. I do admit I get some amusement by thinking, given that the Beat movement was in reaction to the conservatism of the Eisenhower administration, the conservatism of the Bush II administration would have made their heads explode. Because Eisenhower comes across as pretty damn liberal compared with modern Republicans.

dondomat
01-29-2015, 06:54 AM
I read a Stephen King interview a while back, where he finally throws up his hands and says something along the lines of: "A good writer? What it takes to a good writer? I'll tell you what it takes to be a good writer! A good wife and good health! That's what it takes! Now go away!"

Bolero
01-29-2015, 12:29 PM
I remember hearing about a study that found people who eat a lot of carbs and sugars tend to need a hit of sugar to (mentally) function at peak performance. People who don't eat a lot of carbs and sugars were okay without, i.e. their system hadn't come to rely on ready access to quick calories.
Mm. My (basic) understanding of the biology is that muscles and brain burn glucose. The body provides that either from recently eaten sugars, slower digested more complex carbohydrates or from glycogen stored in the liver. If you don't have any glucose sources, then the body starts breaking down protein - as in muscle. The documentary was particularly making that point as they had one of the test subjects cycling while on a sugar free diet, he was struggling and the voice over was talking about losing muscle on that limited a diet.
I'm not talking about eating lots of cake, just having the correctly balanced diet with the proportions of carbohydrate, fat and protein as recommended. Part of the documentary was about how sugar has been demonised.
Its really back to the old thing of "everything in moderation".

Regarding the swimmers - I used to slightly know a group of athletes (Olympic team contenders) and by heck they could eat. Putting away at least 3000 calories a day and they were all muscle from the training.

Becky Black
01-29-2015, 02:52 PM
Hahaha! Having had a few incidents with that sneaky (and unwanted) Yahoo toolbar that didn't even involve alcohol, this is all too true.

My dad always seems to manage to install it when he gets a new PC or laptop. But he's one of those people who will click OK on anything that pops up, no matter how many times he's told not to. :e2smack:

jjdebenedictis
01-30-2015, 02:11 AM
Regarding the swimmers - I used to slightly know a group of athletes (Olympic team contenders) and by heck they could eat. Putting away at least 3000 calories a day and they were all muscle from the training.Sumo wrestlers actually have to gorge themselves and then nap afterward to keep their weight up while still being athletic. They exercise enough that it's difficult to maintain the fat-mass they need to excel at their sport.

Layla Nahar
02-01-2015, 04:28 AM
Mostly theine, in particular when I'm writing in the evening. At a cafe I'll write with caffeine.

Seven-Deuce
02-01-2015, 11:32 AM
Pot brownies for the raw creative process, but not for the actual act of writing. I get headaches looking at screens when I'm baked. Every other drug I've tried has been completely pointless, but thc is amazing for just churning out ideas for you to make sense out of when you're sober.

Bolero
02-01-2015, 01:58 PM
Interesting - sugar, chocolate and pot - wonder which is doing it for you? :D

My scientist hat popping up - wondering about the one variable to isolate.... (No reason it can't be the combo)

AllenC
02-01-2015, 07:34 PM
Nope, I am crazy enough by myself.

Trip F.
02-01-2015, 10:34 PM
Tobacco.

I know it's literally killing me but it's how I beat writers block.

M.S. Wiggins
02-01-2015, 11:11 PM
Tobacco.

I know it's literally killing me but it's how I beat writers block.

Take a drag for me—just one—and inhale that dried tobacco scent before you light. I can almost smell it from memory...

Okay, I'm good. I vaped. ;) Now, if you wouldn't mind, please take that second-hand smoke somewhere else! :D

jjdebenedictis
02-01-2015, 11:19 PM
Interesting - sugar, chocolate and pot - wonder which is doing it for you? :D

My scientist hat popping up - wondering about the one variable to isolate.... (No reason it can't be the combo)Well, everyone's brain is different, so I doubt there's only one variable. Different people would find different effects helpful.

Some people want to rev up so they can get stuff on the page. Some people need to relax so they can get stuff on the page. It depends on whether it's inertia or anxiety that's holding them back. And there's certainly more impeding factors than just inertia or anxiety.

Part of why I went into physics rather than biology or chemistry is because organic stuff is messy. :D To me, it seems like a hellish business to have to tease cause and effect out of vast, wildly complex, inter-related phenomena -- you just can't de-couple everything, y'know?

Lhowling
02-02-2015, 12:36 AM
Pot brownies for the raw creative process, but not for the actual act of writing. I get headaches looking at screens when I'm baked. Every other drug I've tried has been completely pointless, but thc is amazing for just churning out ideas for you to make sense out of when you're sober.

Man... I don't know if I can do the pot-filled foods anymore, especially for the writing process. Smoking it gives me some control over how much I consume so I'm not completely stoned, whereas eating it I can never be sure of when I'm high. And when I am it's usually very, very high. Although...

...a couple of years back my boyfriend and I decided to experiment. We made a bhang using carrot juice and milk. We boiled the marijuana into the milk and blended it with the carrot juice and drank it. At first we didn't really feel anything. But, by the time we traveled from Long Island to South Street Seaport in Manhattan, it came on full force. Great high too, it just comes up gradually.

GingerGunlock
02-02-2015, 01:29 AM
I read a Stephen King interview a while back, where he finally throws up his hands and says something along the lines of: "A good writer? What it takes to a good writer? I'll tell you what it takes to be a good writer! A good wife and good health! That's what it takes! Now go away!"

Of course, Mr. King had his dalliance with alcoholism and cocaine. I believe it's in On Writing where he talks about not actually remembered having written Cujo, which he regrets, because it seems like he probably enjoyed it (paraphrased).

Seven-Deuce
02-02-2015, 01:03 PM
Man... I don't know if I can do the pot-filled foods anymore, especially for the writing process. Smoking it gives me some control over how much I consume so I'm not completely stoned, whereas eating it I can never be sure of when I'm high. And when I am it's usually very, very high. Although...

...a couple of years back my boyfriend and I decided to experiment. We made a bhang using carrot juice and milk. We boiled the marijuana into the milk and blended it with the carrot juice and drank it. At first we didn't really feel anything. But, by the time we traveled from Long Island to South Street Seaport in Manhattan, it came on full force. Great high too, it just comes up gradually.

Hmmmmm… hmmmmm...

I love that about eating the pot. Smoking it, my chest gets all shitty and I feel short of breath for a while, plus there's this hour of just heady, stupid, sleepiness before the coffee kicks in and you can do something worthwhile. Brownies, though, I know when they're working because I have ideas… good ideas… good shitty ideas. You know? Good shitty ideas, the kind that make for fun writing.

I write them down, I mess with them, I fall asleep. Then I wake up and look at it the next day and see if it has potential.

I also love eating pot brownies before playing poker. Sometimes it makes me really awesome at reading my adversaries, and sometimes I wind up leaving a hundred bucks poorer, but with a boatload of good shitty ideas in my head. Either way, the old fogies at the casino hate it :)

Diana Hignutt
02-02-2015, 05:32 PM
Even in glorious countryside of France I was incapable of writing without one cup of coffee. Otherwise, I've never had any trouble with a bowl or two of greenery, writing-wise. Opiates are a no go for writing, or getting anything done for me.

Layla Nahar
02-02-2015, 06:02 PM
I've never had any trouble with a bowl or two of greenery, writing-wise.

Salad??

Diana Hignutt
02-02-2015, 06:07 PM
Salad??

Of course, what else could I possibly mean? Salad's a drug, right?

Shadow_Ferret
02-02-2015, 06:32 PM
No. I don't use any drugs whatsoever, except for drinking coffee or tea, and the amphetamines the doctor prescribed for ADHD.

culmo80
02-03-2015, 04:14 PM
No, nothing illegal.

I'll have a Coke Zero (Spare me the 'do you know what's in it' speech).

I tend to not write if I am having any alcohol.

I don't count Tylenol or sinus medicine as drugs in this context.

Personal opinion, if you need a drug to make you a good writer, then you're not a good writer and it's not really "you" doing the writing.

Besides, why be under the influence of something and miss the feeling you get when pure inspiration strikes? Why miss the experience of being so "in the zone" that you jam out 5-6,000 words in a single session?

I would feel cheated if I could only do any of that while drunk or high.

Kylabelle
02-03-2015, 05:00 PM
No, nothing illegal.

I'll have a Coke Zero (Spare me the 'do you know what's in it' speech).

I tend to not write if I am having any alcohol.

I don't count Tylenol or sinus medicine as drugs in this context.

Personal opinion, if you need a drug to make you a good writer, then you're not a good writer and it's not really "you" doing the writing.

Besides, why be under the influence of something and miss the feeling you get when pure inspiration strikes? Why miss the experience of being so "in the zone" that you jam out 5-6,000 words in a single session?

Hey, culmo80, welcome to AW, I'm glad you're here :)

I have to take issue with a couple of your statements, however.

In particular, this: Personal opinion, if you need a drug to make you a good writer, then you're not a good writer and it's not really "you" doing the writing.

There are a tremendous number of writers who are at least famous (I suppose we could argue "good") who regularly used various substances to prime the pump. Here's one list (http://writerswrite.co.za/writers-of-substance-abuse). If you scroll down, you can find items such as "Samuel Taylor Coleridge took two grains of opium before writing," and "Robert Louis Stevenson wrote 60,000 words in six days using cocaine."

If they were not doing that writing, under the influence, who did it?

Perhaps you can enjoy that high, that rush of being in the zone with only the influence of a legal Coke Zero (or maybe without it at times!) but perhaps your personal experience doesn't match that of others.

I happen to agree in broad general terms that living and creating without such influences is healthier, and is preferrable in all manner of ways, but I sure wouldn't assert that it is the only way good writing comes about. I mean, given the historical record and all.

Everyone has a series of choices and circumstances to deal with in order to produce creative work, and using mood-and-state altering substances as part of the process is clearly quite ordinary and common.

Alli B.
02-03-2015, 06:07 PM
I'm surprised at all the No's. I don't, but in a way I wish I new what it felt like so I could write the feeling based off of experience instead of based off of assumptions. Luckily my husband dabbled in... well, everything.

Lhowling
02-03-2015, 06:19 PM
Hmmmmm… hmmmmm...

I love that about eating the pot. Smoking it, my chest gets all shitty and I feel short of breath for a while, plus there's this hour of just heady, stupid, sleepiness before the coffee kicks in and you can do something worthwhile. Brownies, though, I know when they're working because I have ideas… good ideas… good shitty ideas. You know? Good shitty ideas, the kind that make for fun writing.

I write them down, I mess with them, I fall asleep. Then I wake up and look at it the next day and see if it has potential.

I also love eating pot brownies before playing poker. Sometimes it makes me really awesome at reading my adversaries, and sometimes I wind up leaving a hundred bucks poorer, but with a boatload of good shitty ideas in my head. Either way, the old fogies at the casino hate it :)

Have you ever considered vapes? It helped out a friend o'mine with his coughing and chest congestion. Now that I love to toke on while I'm playing poker!

Lhowling
02-03-2015, 06:39 PM

You know, I don't think I've seen a single member who HAS taken drugs boast about how it's way cooler, and can't understand why anyone should be sober while they write. I mean, God, don't you want to open doorways you haven't imagined before??? (Sarcasm) Or that all the straight-edged writers out there don't know what they're missing and blah blah blah.

What do you mean it's not "you?" It's still me doing the writing. There's no "drug" alter ego who puts in the effort while my subconscious sleeps. My stories aren't any better sober than they are stoned and vice versa. If you have to write, then you'll write.

There is no ultimate authority on how good writing or any writing should be done. I've written just as much crap without booze or weed or pills than I have while under the influence. Wanna know the point...? I Was Writing.

I can still experience things, if anything, smoking weed helps me because I tend to be introverted, shy... a little toke and I'm able to remove that buffer. I won't die if I don't have it and I have a feeling that most writers here are professional enough that they don't need anything to write. They just do. I've been out of my supply for a few days... still writing, still had to make my deadlines. And I did.

Let's not run to assume that writers under the influence are somehow at a handicap. Some of the best writing we've seen has been from alcoholics and drug users. Some of the best writing we've seen has been from people who became addicts and went to rehab... if they got that far. Some of the best writing comes from people who has never touched a drink or dope. Not one is better than the other.

Shadow_Ferret
02-03-2015, 07:26 PM
I can still experience things, if anything, smoking weed helps me because I tend to be introverted, shy... a little toke and I'm able to remove that buffer.

For me, alcohol removed that buffer. Not pot. Pot made it worse and I eventually quit.because I had anxiety attacks. I was paranoid everyone knew I was high. Just ruined the buzz.

And pot never helped with writing because all I wanted to do was lay around and listen to music. I could read, but I didn't have any gumption to write. At least with beer, I could write a little until I drank too much.

Lhowling
02-03-2015, 09:46 PM
For me, alcohol removed that buffer. Not pot. Pot made it worse and I eventually quit.because I had anxiety attacks. I was paranoid everyone knew I was high. Just ruined the buzz.

And pot never helped with writing because all I wanted to do was lay around and listen to music. I could read, but I didn't have any gumption to write. At least with beer, I could write a little until I drank too much.

I hear you. Conversely, I never knew when to stop with alcohol so it's a hard drug for me to take. I'd suddenly feel sick and have to vomit, and I'd feel bad and anxious because I'm not feeling well. It's is why I don't mess with it while I'm writing... not always anyway. :evil

When I was younger I was foolish in my pot intake. Now I smoke less and appreciate the high. It's also nice because it puts my brain to sleep, which needs to happen every so often. I hear people get that anxiety from it... to each his/her own. Like most things in life you find what works and stick with it.

Underdawg47
02-04-2015, 09:20 AM
The reason I like to smoke pot when I write is because when I am stoned my mind will generate random vidid memories from my distant past. Many things I have not thought about in a very long time. And when I an very stoned and have that anxious, frightening feeling, I can write about the feeling of horror. And as I am writing, the fear goes away and I start to focus on the words as a distraction.

thepicpic
02-04-2015, 11:55 AM
Nope, nothing, nada. I don't even take caffeine in any more. I run mostly on existential fury and probably far too little sleep.

Kylabelle
02-04-2015, 03:45 PM
Nope, nothing, nada. I don't even take caffeine in any more. I run mostly on existential fury and probably far too little sleep.

The very best of drugs. The supply is sadly quite limited. Most people can't get it, seems like.

nighttimer
02-05-2015, 12:24 AM
I'm surprised at all the No's.

I have a suspicion some of the "Just Say No" even if you're lying your ass off is coming from the somewhat reasonable belief that the Internet never forgets. What you say casually here might be used against you seriously somewhere else.

Being a caffeine-slurping, nicotine-addicted chain-smoking, heroin-shooting, bong-hitting stoner could lessen your shot at the Nobel Prize for literature.

However, if you enjoy your bad habits, drink up, spark up and chillax. :e2coffee::e2drunk::hat:

Roxxsmom
02-05-2015, 12:30 AM
True about the internet never forgetting. As a rule, it also doesn't care. Unless you're famous or you have a psycho ex who's out for revenge who wants to start a twitter hashtag...

But sadly, some of us are indeed pretty boring at this point in our lives. Partying ended for me when most of my peers and relatives had kids.

Maze Runner
02-05-2015, 12:51 AM
If we're really talking about drugs, don't do the hard stuff. I know a lot of people can do a line here and there, chip some smack, and never let it get in their ass. But just this morning I read the obituary of another friend of mine who wasn't able to do that. Had a cousin die in his 20s, a good friend shot and killed in a drug deal, someone who was like an uncle to me take his own life due to his heroin addiction. And many more who did big time behind possession, dealing, or robbery to feed their addiction.

The only thing I've ever found that won't kill you is weed.

jjdebenedictis
02-05-2015, 05:37 AM
The only thing I've ever found that won't kill you is weed.It's a good warning to keep in mind. A lot of people think they can avoid addiction because they're smart, but smart is no protection against something that is a matter of chemistry and biology. It's deterministic; you have to simply not do the stuff very often.

I've heard that LSD has no known lethal dose, but you can permanently change the way your brain functions by overdosing on it.

rugcat
02-08-2015, 01:16 AM
And interesting sidelight about drugs in Silicon Valley, where creativity is at a premium:
"The billionaires I know, almost without exception, use hallucinogens on a regular basis," Ferriss said. "[They're] trying to be very disruptive and look at the problems in the world ... and ask completely new questions."

http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/25/technology/lsd-psychedelics-silicon-valley/

Fruitbat
02-08-2015, 01:54 AM
I haven't read the whole thread so please excuse if off. If you include alcohol with "drugs" then for me, one is okay and might even help me get into that relaxed fiction state. More than that detracts, rapidly.

Amphetamines do work for nonfiction but they're kinda the opposite of the dreamy fiction writing state of mind. For NF, the depth and length of focus is great. But unless they're a necessary prescription for something else anyway, well, then there's all that other mess to weigh the temporary benefit against...

Maze Runner
02-08-2015, 02:11 AM
And interesting sidelight about drugs in Silicon Valley, where creativity is at a premium:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/25/technology/lsd-psychedelics-silicon-valley/

There's no doubt that hallucinogens can unlock your brain. I haven't tripped in a lot of years, but I remember noticing the in-between moments, the half beats where you'd pick up on subtleties, the reactions and expressions that were not meant to be seen. MJ is a mild hallucinogen, right? It has a bit of that. I don't know how harmful LSD is if you do it too often. The case in the article, he only does it 3 or 4 times a year to shock himself into looking at things differently. I can see the benefit in that. I don't think it's addictive either, is it? The whole truth is as fearless as I was as a kid regarding this stuff, the thought of doing it now scares me a little. What if I don't like what I see? *(About myself, that is)

Underdawg47
02-08-2015, 02:23 AM
There's no doubt that hallucinogens can unlock your brain. I haven't tripped in a lot of years, but I remember noticing the in-between moments, the half beats where you'd pick up on subtleties, the reactions and expressions that were not meant to be seen. MJ is a mild hallucinogen, right? It has a bit of that. I don't know how harmful LSD is if you do it too often. The case in the article, he only does it 3 or 4 times a year to shock himself into looking at things differently. I can see the benefit in that. I don't think it's addictive either, is it? The whole truth is as fearless as I was as a kid regarding this stuff, the thought of doing it now scares me a little. What if I don't like what I see? *(About myself, that is)

I would like to try LSD someday just to have the experience. Marijuana has taken me to some dark places in my sub conscious as well as bright places and I would like to explore further. As I get older and contemplate my own mortality, I think it would be great to come to terms with my biggest fears.

Maze Runner
02-08-2015, 02:31 AM
You know, as many times as I did it, and this is between the ages of 16 and 18 years old, maybe 50 times, maybe less, I never once had a bad trip. I never had one bad experience. I just remember telling myself, Okay, now look, for the next 10 hrs or so nothing is going to make sense, nothing is to be taken too seriously, and it will end.

But I saw other people have bad trips. I remember a girlfriend of mine lying in the alley screaming uncontrollably from a bad trip.

In a way I think it comes down to how strong you are in your mind. I was very strong in my mind at that age. This age, I'm not too sure.

Diana Hignutt
02-08-2015, 02:55 AM
Modern LSD is nothing like the LSD we had back in the 80s and 90s, it will get rid of a migraine for you, but the last few times I tried it, meh. Back when I did that stuff, of course. Nowadays, if I were to attempt a mind-expanding trip I'd go shrooms (5g dried, 20g fresh, laying down in the dark) or DMT (smoked crystals,only with a sitter) personally, but you're certainly not going to be writing anything whilst under the influence of those two. Not that I would know, of course. ;)

Maze Runner
02-08-2015, 03:02 AM
Modern LSD is nothing like the LSD we had back in the 80s and 90s, it will get rid of a migraine for you, but the last few times I tried it, meh. Back when I did that stuff, of course. Nowadays, if I were to attempt a mind-expanding trip I'd go shrooms (5g dried, 20g fresh, laying down in the dark) or DMT (smoked crystals,only with a sitter) personally, but you're certainly not going to be writing anything whilst under the influence of those two. Not that I would know, of course. ;)

Really? I had no idea that was the case. But I'll bet the billionaires in Silicon Valley can find the good stuff. Or at least contract an expert chemist to put together the right mix. Heh, you gotta be rich to do anything these days.

Underdawg47
02-08-2015, 03:05 AM
You know, as many times as I did it, and this is between the ages of 16 and 18 years old, maybe 50 times, maybe less, I never once had a bad trip. I never had one bad experience. I just remember telling myself, Okay, now look, for the next 10 hrs or so nothing is going to make sense, nothing is to be taken too seriously, and it will end.

But I saw other people have bad trips. I remember a girlfriend of mine lying in the alley screaming uncontrollably from a bad trip.

In a way I think it comes down to how strong you are in your mind. I was very strong in my mind at that age. This age, I'm not too sure.

When I was younger I was fearless when it came to hitch hiking, and taking physical risks. I trusted in the ability of my physical body perhaps foolishly, but I was terrified of what was buried in my subconscious mind. I had bad trips on marijuana and swore it off for years.

Now that I am much older, I realize the limitations of my physical body. I think about my mortality much more than I did when I was younger. I think it is a good idea to face your demons and come to terms with the things that you fear most. I have read that hallucinogens can help in this area.

Bushrat
02-08-2015, 03:11 AM
I drug myself severly with long wilderness walks in the company of my dogs and stare out the window at the lake and mountains while my characters traipse through my brain.

Kylabelle
02-08-2015, 03:15 AM
When I was younger I was fearless when it came to hitch hiking, and taking physical risks. I trusted in the ability of my physical body perhaps foolishly, but I was terrified of what was buried in my subconscious mind. I had bad trips on marijuana and swore it off for years.

Now that I am much older, I realize the limitations of my physical body. I think about my mortality much more than I did when I was younger. I think it is a good idea to face your demons and come to terms with the things that you fear most. I have read that hallucinogens can help in this area.

Speaking from my own experience, Underdawg47, I found that all that is available to me -- all that material -- without drugs. And what I got to with drugs was somehow not as useful, though at first it seemed it would be. Just my personal opinion: it is kinder to the self and ultimately more effective, by far, to do this kind of exploration and self-retrieval sober.

rugcat
02-08-2015, 03:18 AM
Modern LSD is nothing like the LSD we had back in the 80s and 90s, it will get rid of a migraine for you, but the last few times I tried it, meh. Back when I did that stuff, of course. The stuff in the sixties was quite something. Some of it was incredibly pure; some was cooked up by half-assed chemists and God knows what it really was.

But no, in either case you wouldn't be writing anything.

Underdawg47
02-08-2015, 03:24 AM
The stuff in the sixties was quite something. Some of it was incredibly pure; some was cooked up by half-assed chemists and God knows what it really was.

But no, in either case you wouldn't be writing anything.

I don't imagine I would be writing while under the influence of LSD, only after the experience. Perhaps a trip to the jungles of Peru to try ayahuasca with a shaman.

Kashmirgirl1976
02-08-2015, 09:16 PM
I write better when I skip my medications. I'm much more fluid when I write then.

GingerGunlock
02-09-2015, 01:23 AM

LSD treats migraines? I never heard that before! That's the only thing which has ever made LSD sound vaguely appealing to me.

Kate Thornton
02-10-2015, 03:09 AM
I take prescription drugs to continue living, but I don't think they affect my writing, except by allowing me to continue to move one side of my body.

I prefer to feel clear-headed when I write; it's difficult enough to make the words go in the correct order. That said, I take coffee every single morning, w/o a prescription!

AngelaG
02-28-2015, 08:32 PM
I'm a caffeine junkie! I find it makes my mind clearer. Alcohol makes me too drowsy.