William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
for some of you with whom i've exchanged PMs and emails with over the past few months, this will come as no surprise. i've barely slept for the past 72 hours as i've wrestled with the final act of this decision. but i have come to a decision, and it's the most frightening thing i've ever faced.

i've decided to stop writing.

to understand the seismic shift that this will have on my life, i should say that i've never wanted to be anything other than a writer, and i've written for more than three decades now. i've had some success, 10 years of fairly steady paychecks, a couple of published books (not novels, but rather books for gamers), and i've published a handful of poems and short stories sporadically over the years.

my notion of success has never been directly tied to commercial success, which is a good thing, since i've deliberately charted a course of writing things with little to no commerical appeal. i don't regret that, because had i gone for mainstream markets, i might have made it, and not reached the epiphany that i now have.

i've got, in my possession (in computer files and on yellowing pages), nearly my entire body of work of 30 years, and i will never again look at them. they are what they are, but they are part of the past and they will stay there.

writing has turned me into a creature that is both senseless and pathetic. when i can't write, i become a beast that no one should have to live with. i'm angry and hateful and i feel impotent and weak. this is no way to live.

and when i am writing well, i become as distant as another universe, locked into an obsessive ritual to wring out every ounce of creativity i can harness. while it offers me moments of satisfaction, sometimes even joy, it is, i have determined, an ugly and selfish habit.

i'm no longer comfortable in my own skin or at peace with my vision of my life. i am lost, and i became lost on the journey of writing.

if i'm lucky, i might can find some purpose in life that's not tied to the compulsive manipulation of language bent only on disrupting the worldview of others.

because that's exactly what i was doing.

every word i wrote was intended to change the reader insome way, to make them question life, to damage their view of life, to seduce them into subversive thought.

that, i know now, is wrong. a person's life is the most precious experience available to them. to attempt to impose on or alter that is, in my view now, an evil act.

i don't hold it against anyone here that they want to continue to write, whether to entertain, or to affect change, or to add beauty to the world. those things are, on their face, noble and worthy.

i just hope, in time, you see how wrong you are. i hope you don't live only inside yourself, or neglect the ones who love you, or miss the simple pleasures in life... all because you're a slave to the page.

i wish you all the best and thank you for all you've meant to me.

-william

Last edited:

BuffStuff

No more being nice to Pee D
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what to say other than, if you feel this way, you are probably making the best decision at this point in your life. Take a break. Force yourself to not write or even think about writing for a certain period of time. This will mean getting another creative outlet to channel your energy, of course. It isnt your writing that is the bad thing, it's the becoming obsessed in it, that is the bad thing.

If becoming obsessed with writing makes you an ******* (to put it bluntly), then please get another creative outlet, perhaps one that is more social in nature. If you don't, and you hereby force your life into a mold where you no longer have any creative outlet. You'll still be an *******. You'll just be a worse one because you'll become bitter and resentful that you no longer have the means to express your creative energy. A writing ******* is better than a non-writing *******. It's not the writing's fault. There are precious few "writing-related" problems. Writers and their writing don't exist in a vaccuum. There are no strictly writers problems, only human ones.

Many writers have had to take serious breaks from writing at certain points in their lives. Quite a few famous ones gave up writing altogether. I'm not about to say "no, don't give up wriring". I don't know you or your circumstances. But at the same time, I don't think this problem is writing related. This being said, time away right now is probably the best thing.

Good Luck,
BS

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
William Haskins said:
if i'm lucky, i might can find some purpose in life that's not tied to the compulsive manipulation of language bent only on disrupting the worldview of others.

every word i wrote was intended to change the reader insome way, to make them question life, to damage their view of life, to seduce them into subversive thought.
Hmmm...this doesn't bode well for me, since it describes me perfectly.

Rob :)

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmmm....it just happens to be April Fool's Day today.

I think he's fooling us.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
rhymegirl said:
Hmmmm....it just happens to be April Fool's Day today.

I think he's fooling us.

Yeah, maybe. He needs a good thwocking either way, though.
I haven't written a serious word since NaNo, so I'm not gonna be the one . . .

Sven_the_Viking

Mead! Herrings!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lady Unique has asked me to come here and dip you in mead until you come to your senses, Haskins. Show yourself, be a man about this!

BuffStuff

No more being nice to Pee D
Registered
Reaction score
Eh, call me gullible, but at least I got the chance to be on my soapbox. I'll save the post incase anyone really does decide to quit writing. It'll save me the trouble of having to type it again.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Never is a word which should never have come into existence.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But William--just in case this isn't a joke...I'm sorry for the wrestling of the past 72 hours, and the difficult decision you've had to make for now. But before you give up writing completely, consider some thoughts below...

William Haskins said:
writing has turned me into a creature that is both senseless and pathetic. when i can't write, i become a beast that no one should have to live with. i'm angry and hateful and i feel impotent and weak. this is no way to live.

and when i am writing well, i become as distant as another universe, locked into an obsessive ritual to wring out every ounce of creativity i can harness. while it offers me moments of satisfaction, sometimes even joy, it is, i have determined, an ugly and selfish habit.

It may be that anything done with self as the end is an ugly and selfish habit. I don't see it so much as an occupation problem, as maybe an attitude or focus problem. If that's the case, it will probably carry over into your next profession as well.

i'm no longer comfortable in my own skin or at peace with my vision of my life. i am lost, and i became lost on the journey of writing.

that, i know now, is wrong. a person's life is the most precious experience available to them. to attempt to impose on or alter that is, in my view now, an evil act.

Writing to effect change is not necessarily bad (change can be for the better). Eg. my writing an article to alert parents to the signs of juvenile rheumatoid arthritis in their children. Was all your writing with a view to seduce toward subversive thought?

i don't hold it against anyone here that they want to continue to write, whether to entertain, or to affect change, or to add beauty to the world. those things are, on their face, noble and worthy.

i just hope, in time, you see how wrong you are. i hope you don't live only inside yourself, or neglect the ones who love you, or miss the simple pleasures in life... all because you're a slave to the page.
-william

I hope I see how wrong I am if I only live inside myself, or neglect the ones who love me, or am a slave to the page. But that's not writing's fault. That's a heart problem. I know it because I experience it from time to time. It's not that writing is wrong; it's the inordinate love of writing (or self) that causes that.

Just food for thought, though. I wish you the best on whatever path you follow next. I hope you can find that new vision that will bring you peace and fulfillment.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Willing dupe here.

I'll write later to you privately to thank you, William, for the effect you've had on me and my writing.

I'm a little sick about this -- but it'd be selfish to stay that way.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
I can understand how William feels, and knowing that today is a foolsday is probably the best time to stop fooling ourselves (or in William's case) so we can concentrate on more important stuff.

Don't know you, but wishing you the best.

Optimus

Banned
Reaction score
Haskins, you do realize that no one's going to believe you on this of all days (as someone else has already pointed out), right?

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, like Joanne said, good try, William and sure hope it's an April Fool's day prank. The world would be lost w/o your terrific talent! So keep writing. :Hug2: Hope hug smilies are ok, William.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I sure hope you're foolin' with us William. Not writing would be like not breathing.
If you're serious, ummm, wish you the best. Really.

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
William Haskins said:

On the off-chance this is not merely an April fools trick, I have a few observations that may pi$$ you off, but that's okay. It's okay because you are a one percenter, and will probably understand my words better than I do.

In this age of split-second communication and dwindling attention spans, we are quickly becoming a mass of spoon-fed automatons; living out the precious days of our lives in complacency and disregard, with neither the time nor desire to pursue the truth more than a few steps out of our comfort zone. Sometimes it takes a little push to get us thinking again, and doing the thing we should do more often, which is to question. Question the information we have been provided, and how we have adopted/adapted that information into our personal value system.

Nobody likes change, William. Especially in the way we view society and our place in it. Some will close their minds and refuse the challenge; they may search for just enough information to validate their position, and then close the book. Others, however, will turn a few more pages and grow some in the process. Without the challenge, though, the book may remain closed altogether.

That's where people like you come in. It's in your nature to question what others are comfortable accepting, but that's not always a happy place to be. As far as radically changing the way you process information?

Camel through the eye of a needle, man.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, we all know that William has a thing for Celine Dion--he gets all warm and tingly when he hears her sing.

William, I'm glad you've decided to stop writing because I'm sooo damn tired of having my mind bent by your consistently magnificent poetry and brilliant comments.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
No way, folks, I know this bloke
And if I'm wrong, I will smoke
My own pinkie, because, you see
I am not wrong. Not wrong, indee.

This Haskins guy, he loves to write
And if he tried with all his might