PDA

View Full Version : Writing Thesaraus'

Sargentodiaz
01-25-2015, 09:31 PM
A superb resource site for writers of fiction and non-fiction. I've been following it for years, lost it, and just found it again.

Writers Helping Writers http://writershelpingwriters.net/thesaurus-collections/

Neegh
01-25-2015, 10:11 PM
Ah...yes, I have been using that site when online for a while. I'm sure some will appresiate you post the link.

Jamesaritchie
01-26-2015, 12:51 AM
I truly hate that sight. I think it leads writers to cookie cutter, cliched writing. It's usually all too easy to tell when a writer has used this sight. All sorts of cliched phrases, and cliched movements, and cliched emotions, and everything else stand out.

atombaby
01-26-2015, 09:04 AM
I truly hate that sight. I think it leads writers to cookie cutter, cliched writing. It's usually all too easy to tell when a writer has used this sight. All sorts of cliched phrases, and cliched movements, and cliched emotions, and everything else stand out.

I don't "hate" the site but I do find so many generic content in many how-to-write sites. There's no quick and easy way to "learn" writing, it just takes practice and love. I used to obsess with these sorts of books and blogs but in the end (ie past few years), but then I realized I spent too much time analyzing and not enough time living and writing. They can be helpful for the writer who's still learning craft, and I think those sites are good for ideas or pointers, but following their cookie-cutter designs hinder the writer's voice and creativity.

Gotta let that creativity flow from within!

Kylabelle
01-26-2015, 04:20 PM
Personally, I don't see any point in hating something that other writers find useful, just because I don't, nor do I assume that if I encounter writing I don't think is very good, it's because the writer used a hated resource.

I am another who's never found much use in such compendiums (compendia? :D ) as in the link, but I tend to be a live and let live sort of person, since one thing I have observed over the years is that my own opinion is not always correct. It's good to retain the capacity to learn.

CrastersBabies
01-26-2015, 08:59 PM
This seems pretty helpful to me. I'm trying to wrap my head around all the cliched thoughts, feelings, and actions in the world. It might be nice to know what's not considered cliche today.

Probably nothing.

Laer Carroll
02-04-2015, 10:10 AM
An ordinary thesaurus is good enough for me. I've set my Word program so that with two mouse clicks the word or phrase is submitted to http://Thesaurus.com & the answer is displayed in my browser. It takes less than a second before I have the answer before me.

In rare situations I reach out my hand & pull Roget's International Thesaurus off the bookshelf right next to my computer work area.

Neegh
02-04-2015, 10:20 AM
Of course, when I am seriously egaged I use J.I. Rodale's Synonym Finder: 1361 pages of nothing but synonyms.