PDA

View Full Version : Anyone need help? Have any questions?

nickyallard
11-20-2003, 02:13 AM
Hello,

I am a successful freelance writer, and I'd like to give a little back. I figured with my first ebook about freelance writing on the way, what could be a better way to celebrate than to be a mentor?

Feel free to contact me at nickyallard@verizon.net, or response here. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks!

Nicole Allard
www.nickyallard.com (http://www.nickyallard.com)

mammamaia
11-21-2003, 12:11 AM

nickyallard
11-21-2003, 12:38 AM
Maia,

Thanks for your reply and the advice. Maybe I'll have to start replying to appropriate messages. I'll see what I can do...

What other boards do you use for mentoring?

Thanks, again. I appreciate it.

Have a great day!

Regards,

Nicole

semmett
11-21-2003, 08:32 PM
Hi,
I am in the early stages of writing my first novel. It is in the crime/mystery style and although I am planning a novel first I have great hopes that it could spin off into a screenplay (but that is the next project!). I would love any help you could give - just another pair of eyes pointing out the weaknesses in plot, character etc would be incredibly useful.

Simon

nickyallard
11-21-2003, 10:03 PM
Sure thing, Simon. I'm here to help. Send me a message at nickyallard@verizon.net and we can get started.

Congratulations on writing your first novel. I understand it's not completed yet, but it's still a worthy accomplishment!

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Nicole Allard

www.nickyallard.com

mammamaia
11-22-2003, 01:36 AM
...i've monitored and advised on:
wwforums
fictionaddiction
catchsink
story board

and some others i can't recall off the top of my head... i cut back to just this one and a couple of screenwriting boards, when i got tired of the occasional flaming i'd be subjected to, thanks to a few who'd rather be contentious and nasty, than tolerant of one who's merely being helpful...

that's the downside i mentioned... along with the rare mentee who'll blast you to pieces for giving free help they'd otherwise have to pay for...

love and hugs, maia

rtilryarms
11-22-2003, 02:21 AM
hey, I'm not contentious!

mammamaia
11-22-2003, 10:55 PM
...get back in your li'l cubby, rt, and stay there!... you know darn well i wasn't talkin' about you...

nicky... those who merely display a slightly/delightly skewed sense of humor are what make the down-puttin' ones bearable... a good laugh at posts like rt often comes up with almost always gets me out of the near-murderous mood those others can bring on...

hugs, m

LiamJackson
12-23-2003, 04:01 AM
I don't have the expertise to mentor anyone on the topic of writing, however...

If you're a "crime writer" or using any theme that speaks of "police work" i.e. cop jargon, investigation procedures, codes, weapons and/or tactics, etc... and IF you need any assistance with the aforementioned areas, feel free to send me an e-mail. I'll be glad to assist you... for free, of course.

mammamaia
12-24-2003, 03:10 AM
so, liam... you're an ex-cop?... or current one, lurking :hat here undercover???

m

LiamJackson
12-24-2003, 05:51 AM
Ex, M.

22 years is enough for anybody in that field.
:rollin

mammamaia
12-25-2003, 12:38 AM
i take it you're rolling around on the floor down [up] there is the result of that score plus years of doing work no sane person can stay sane long doing? [great syntax, huh?]...

why don't you email me with some particulars of what kind of help you can offer crime writers?... i'd like to add it to my file of 'help' attachments i send mentees in need, if it's ok with you...

love and hugs, maia
maia3maia@hotmail.com (maia3maia@hotmail.com)

LiamJackson
12-25-2003, 04:16 AM
The e-mail is on the way

qatz
01-15-2004, 05:26 AM
I emailed you, Nicole, but the postmaster kicked it back. I'd like to talk if you have time . . . can you email me? Thnx, Eric. ebqatz@msn.com

nickyallard
01-19-2004, 02:07 AM
Sorry,

My new email address is nickyswriting@yahoo.com

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks!

Nicky Allard
www.nickyallard.com
The Writer's Forum and Writing Careers Guidebook are available at www.coolstuff4writers.com

Click on references!

looking at society
02-03-2004, 12:02 AM
what exactly does a writing mentor do?

Nicole

mammamaia
02-03-2004, 01:28 AM
i really don't know if there's a fixed set of procedures lying around anywhere, but what i do is just help aspiring writers in any way i can... many stay with me for months and even years, asking for feedback and/or help with their work, now and again... many have had me see them through a complete screenplay or book/poem/lyric/story/article, from first idea to finished product...

at their request, i'll 'teach' them how to write in whatever medium they want; edit their work to show them what needs 'fixing'; help non-english-speaking writers with translations; provide info on how to market their work; help with queries and other submission materials; and pretty much anything else you can think of...

often the mentee will take the relationship beyond writing and i end up being a sort of combo mother-confessor/counselor...

i've no idea how other mentors may do it, but this is what i do... the main thing is that mentoring is a free gift from one who has some knowledge to one who needs it... if money is involved, imo, it's no longer mentoring, but only a service for pay... hope this answers your question...

love and hugs, maia
maia3maia@hotmail.com (maia3maia@hotmail.com)

Rigby Eleanor
03-12-2004, 08:53 PM
Can I gush for a minute?
I just wanted to say how fantastic discovery of this board is. I probably need a huge amount of mentoring but I'm not going to ask for help at the moment as I'd rather wait until I have a specific problem or question. It really encourages me that there are so many people who are willing to take the time to help out.
Thanks in advance!

mammamaia
03-12-2004, 11:31 PM
welcome to the forum!

love and hugs, maia

nickyallard
09-10-2004, 11:38 PM
I am still available to help if anyone has questions about freelance writing! If you have a question, email me at nickyswriting@yahoo.com

Best Regards,

Nicky Allard
Writer's Success
writerssuccess.netfirms.com/ (http://writerssuccess.netfirms.com/)

tfdswift
09-11-2004, 04:58 AM
Nicky,

I'm glad you're still here. I hope you are having great success as a mentor as there are many requesting one. I hope you have much success here in that goal. A GOOD mentor is hard to find and a rare gem when found.

~~Tammy:thumbs

“Today is the best day. Yesterday is gone forever. Tomorrow will never arrive.” ~ David Wolfe

basic2004
09-12-2004, 07:17 AM
Nicky,

I just sent you an email about mentoring. I hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,
basic2004(Cher)

nickyallard
09-13-2004, 08:52 PM
Thanks, Tammy!

Mentoring is interesting, and I love helping writers succeed!

Regards,

Nicole Allard
Writer's Success
writerssuccess.netfirms.com/ (http://writerssuccess.netfirms.com/)