• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Anyone need help? Have any questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickyallard

Hello,

I am a successful freelance writer, and I'd like to give a little back. I figured with my first ebook about freelance writing on the way, what could be a better way to celebrate than to be a mentor?

Feel free to contact me at [email protected], or response here. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks!

Nicole Allard
www.nickyallard.com

nickyallard

Maia,

Thanks for your reply and the advice. Maybe I'll have to start replying to appropriate messages. I'll see what I can do...

What other boards do you use for mentoring?

Thanks, again. I appreciate it.

Have a great day!

Regards,

Nicole

semmett

Would love some help

Hi,
I am in the early stages of writing my first novel. It is in the crime/mystery style and although I am planning a novel first I have great hopes that it could spin off into a screenplay (but that is the next project!). I would love any help you could give - just another pair of eyes pointing out the weaknesses in plot, character etc would be incredibly useful.

Simon

nickyallard

Hi Simon!

Sure thing, Simon. I'm here to help. Send me a message at [email protected] and we can get started.

Congratulations on writing your first novel. I understand it's not completed yet, but it's still a worthy accomplishment!

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Nicole Allard

www.nickyallard.com

mammamaia

other writers' forums...

...i've monitored and advised on:
wwforums
fictionaddiction
catchsink
story board

and some others i can't recall off the top of my head... i cut back to just this one and a couple of screenwriting boards, when i got tired of the occasional flaming i'd be subjected to, thanks to a few who'd rather be contentious and nasty, than tolerant of one who's merely being helpful...

that's the downside i mentioned... along with the rare mentee who'll blast you to pieces for giving free help they'd otherwise have to pay for...

love and hugs, maia

mammamaia

back!

...get back in your li'l cubby, rt, and stay there!... you know darn well i wasn't talkin' about you...

nicky... those who merely display a slightly/delightly skewed sense of humor are what make the down-puttin' ones bearable... a good laugh at posts like rt often comes up with almost always gets me out of the near-murderous mood those others can bring on...

hugs, m

LiamJackson

Crime writers

I don't have the expertise to mentor anyone on the topic of writing, however...

If you're a "crime writer" or using any theme that speaks of "police work" i.e. cop jargon, investigation procedures, codes, weapons and/or tactics, etc... and IF you need any assistance with the aforementioned areas, feel free to send me an e-mail. I'll be glad to assist you... for free, of course.

mammamaia

Re: Crime writers

so, liam... you're an ex-cop?... or current one, lurking :hat here undercover???

m

LiamJackson

Ex, M.

22 years is enough for anybody in that field.
:rollin

mammamaia

i take it you're rolling around on the floor down [up] there is the result of that score plus years of doing work no sane person can stay sane long doing? [great syntax, huh?]...

why don't you email me with some particulars of what kind of help you can offer crime writers?... i'd like to add it to my file of 'help' attachments i send mentees in need, if it's ok with you...

love and hugs, maia
[email protected]

looking at society

what does a writing mentor do?

what exactly does a writing mentor do?

Nicole

mammamaia

Re: what does a writing mentor do?

i really don't know if there's a fixed set of procedures lying around anywhere, but what i do is just help aspiring writers in any way i can... many stay with me for months and even years, asking for feedback and/or help with their work, now and again... many have had me see them through a complete screenplay or book/poem/lyric/story/article, from first idea to finished product...

at their request, i'll 'teach' them how to write in whatever medium they want; edit their work to show them what needs 'fixing'; help non-english-speaking writers with translations; provide info on how to market their work; help with queries and other submission materials; and pretty much anything else you can think of...

often the mentee will take the relationship beyond writing and i end up being a sort of combo mother-confessor/counselor...

i've no idea how other mentors may do it, but this is what i do... the main thing is that mentoring is a free gift from one who has some knowledge to one who needs it... if money is involved, imo, it's no longer mentoring, but only a service for pay... hope this answers your question...

love and hugs, maia
[email protected]

Rigby Eleanor

Re: what does a writing mentor do?

Can I gush for a minute?
I just wanted to say how fantastic discovery of this board is. I probably need a huge amount of mentoring but I'm not going to ask for help at the moment as I'd rather wait until I have a specific problem or question. It really encourages me that there are so many people who are willing to take the time to help out.
Thanks in advance!

mammamaia

you're welcome in advance, honeybun!

welcome to the forum!

love and hugs, maia

tfdswift

Nicky,

I'm glad you're still here. I hope you are having great success as a mentor as there are many requesting one. I hope you have much success here in that goal. A GOOD mentor is hard to find and a rare gem when found.

~~Tammy:thumbs

“Today is the best day. Yesterday is gone forever. Tomorrow will never arrive.” ~ David Wolfe

basic2004

Nicky,

I just sent you an email about mentoring. I hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,
basic2004(Cher)

Status
Not open for further replies.