Where to next...?

Jo Zebedee

space opera-popcorn lover!
Registered
Reaction score
Off the shoulder of Orion, not far from Belfast.
Website
Www.jozebedee.com
Okay, so I'm in the unpleasant position of having been dropped by my agent (yes please to cake.) To be clear, this has been amicable and professional and is to do with the range I write and not that I've turned into a horrid writer overnight. But I got signed for a YA book and I'm not always a YA writer and even when I do write YA it's not easy to categorise (so, hey, I'm not boring...)

My question - when I approach agents with my next project - do I mention my previous agent? I have a decent writing cv at this stage - trilogy with a small publisher, several shorts published in paid markets etc etc - so I'm not looking to plump out my query (not that I ever did).

But is it a case of having had an agent indicates I have ability and stickabilty or having been dropped shows I'm a problem...

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Imo yadda yadda

Yes, say you had an agent, and also say why you parted (amicable) ways. If you can specify what you ARE going to be writing that might help too.

But glossing over a previous agent would not look good as/when they find out you did.

Writers swap agents. It happens for many reasons. Just be upfront.

"I used to be repped BY XYA but the direction my writing has taken means s/he no longer feels s/he can best represent my work...." Or "no longer feels s/he has the best contacts to represent my work"

Bryan Methods

Registered
Reaction score
Agreed, I'd definitely mention it - it's likely to get you taken a little more seriously from the start.

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
I don't see a problem with mentioning it, but NOT mentioning it might look bad if the new agent happened to find out later. Best to just lay all your cards on the table at the beginning.

Also, if your last agent was part of a large agency, you might see if he/she would recommend you to another agent in the agency. Just a thought. Good luck!

Jo Zebedee

space opera-popcorn lover!
Registered
Reaction score
Off the shoulder of Orion, not far from Belfast.
Website
Www.jozebedee.com
Thanks so much, everyone, good to have the same advice from all.

Popgun, that wasn't suggested but she did recommend me to other agents and I have some to follow up with, which is nice.

I have nothing to hide - I'm leaving with a glowing recommendation, it's just market position so am happy if another agent wants to know more.