PDA

View Full Version : How many musicians, artists, etc. ??

Publius
01-21-2015, 04:58 AM
Just getting to know the AW crowd. I know you all love to write, but what other artistic endeavors do you engage in regularly.

I spent a long time singing in bands around the Buffalo, NY area. After a long hiatus, I finally started taking piano lessons about 3 months ago. I'm learning Fly Me to the Moon by Sinatra this week. Cool tune.

I also oil paint when I have the time. Tried photography for a little while, but it didn't really take.

Cliff Face
01-21-2015, 05:02 AM
Aside from writing, I play guitar and keyboards/organ. I've never been in a band or earned money from music, however. Just not at that skill level yet.

poetinahat
01-21-2015, 05:04 AM
For someone who owns three guitars (one acoustic, one electric, one resonator), you'd think I played better than I do. But I have fun, and I'm better than I once thought I'd be. I sing, but only to the kids. They're charitable.

Devil Ledbetter
01-21-2015, 05:05 AM
I started playing guitar about six years ago and I love it. I don't know at what point I get to call myself a "musician." I have four guitars and can play a lot of things (most recently nailed down Rush's Xanadu) but I still feel like that word doesn't apply to me.

Kylabelle
01-21-2015, 05:14 AM
I often say gardening is my art, especially when I'm not writing much. I grew up among musicians and so took it for granted and didn't do much with the training I got, after I left home.

I worked as a graphic production artist for several years, back before computers were used for much and we did most of it by hand. Now, I take a lot of pictures with my beginner's digital camera, and use them on my blogs to illustrate what I post there.

Tepelus
01-21-2015, 05:24 AM
I sometimes draw. I have this Theda Bara (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10205358760550561&set=pb.1295111389.-2207520000.1421803360.&type=3&theater) drawing I started and have yet to finish. One of these days I'll get around to it, and finishing my writing projects.

Chiquitta
01-21-2015, 05:27 AM
I was in a choir group when I was in highschool. I played the piano for about 5 years. I can play by ear a song. I love art that is filled with geometry and color. Thanks for asking!

Alessandra Kelley
01-21-2015, 05:41 AM
I paint and draw and illustrate and occasionally web design.

But I don't feel I quite count because I'm not a writer.

williemeikle
01-21-2015, 08:38 AM
I've been playing guitar badly since 1973

Bryan Methods
01-21-2015, 02:04 PM
Drummer here! I even managed to make a living doing it once...for four months, lol.

Good things are happening, though. Almost finished mixing a prog album that's getting label interest now. Will probably get a distribution deal on it. Very much niche stuff, but still exciting!

Publius
01-21-2015, 02:55 PM
Congrats Bryan! That's a pretty big deal. My band was checked out by a label once. They left before our set was over.:Shrug:

williemeikle-What a coincidence, I've been singing badly since 1994.

Sorry Alessandra, I assumed everyone was a writer. Not excluding anyone.

Chiquitta, that's cool that you can play by ear, I can't even play by hand.

Awesome drawing Tepelus, love the expression and eyes.

Kylabelle-gardening is definitely an art. I have massacred many flowers and vegetables.

I'd say six years and Xanadu qualify you as a musician Devil Ledbetter. :D

I hear you poetinahat. My five year old is my biggest fan.

Take it from someone who knows Cliff Face, the one thing you don't need to make money in the music business, is skill.:tongue

Thanks for all the responses.

Ken
01-21-2015, 03:32 PM
I also oil paint

Took two classes in college in it. Neat medium. But messy. Rather expensive too. How much does a tube of paint go for these days? Would be afraid to know. As of now, I draw. Pen and ink. B&W. Enjoy it. Cool means of expression. (Like you, when time allows.) Neat others on this site are into art/music. Keep at it everyone ! :-)

Devil Ledbetter
01-21-2015, 05:16 PM
I'd say six years and Xanadu qualify you as a musician Devil Ledbetter. :D

Now I know how the cowardly lion felt when the Wizard of Oz gave him a medal of courage.
:D

Melanii
01-21-2015, 05:20 PM
I draw and am making a game.

Seven-Deuce
01-21-2015, 06:18 PM
I do piano and bass, mostly. To a lesser extent, I do drums and percussion and guitar. I also tune pianos on the side, not licensed, but I have a few friends whose pianos I fix up. Was in a few bands in my life, but there was always so much drama, now I just record myself and sequence what I can't play. Gotta love Pro Tools!

Publius
01-21-2015, 07:43 PM
Not sure Ken. I never buy it. It's always on my Christmas and birthday list, so it makes life easy for everyone.

Ha Devil Ledbetter. At least you didn't say the Scarecrow.

What kind of game Miss Strawberrii?

That's quite the list Seven-Duece. Impressive. Yeah, Pro-Tools has been making me sound good since 2000. I still remember our producer in the studio saying, "You're a little out of key there, but don't worry about it. We'll fix it during mix-down."

Still feels like cheating, but that was before auto-tune, so I didn't totally sell my soul.

Seven-Deuce
01-21-2015, 07:48 PM
Publius, I'm not afraid to admit that I doctor the hell out of a track in Pro-Tools. People tell me it's cheating, and I tell them that using a sewing machine instead of a needle and thread is also cheating, as is using a word processor instead of a pen and paper. I don't have an orchestra at my disposal nor do I have time for formal training anymore, and it's silly to think that such circumstances should disallow us from making the music we want, especially when we have the means at our disposal.

Keep it real (fake)!

Publius
01-21-2015, 10:27 PM
I agree. Times change, and pro-tools and other software opened up a world of possibilities. Not to mention the Internet and social media. I remember the days when you had to pay $400 an hour just to get a decent recording done to sell out of the trunk of your car.

Siri Kirpal
01-21-2015, 10:34 PM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Trained for opera, sang in choirs, sang folksongs for pay. Lost singing voice to acid reflux.

BA in fine art with emphasis on acrylics and colorpencil. My forte is still composition and color sense...which translate well to writing. But haven't done art in years.

Also did embroidery without a set pattern as an artform. Haven't done that for awhile either.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Larry M
01-22-2015, 02:42 AM
I've been a guitar player for more than 35 years. Played in several bands over the years, none of them any damn good. It sure was fun though.

My band stories are in my latest book, linked in my sig, along with my YouTube channel where you can actually see and hear why I never made it as a singer/guitarist.

Locke
01-22-2015, 06:52 AM
I learned how to play the piano at 8 but was never very good at it. Then I started learning the trumpet and played that all the way through my entire three months of college.

I've been playing guitar badly since 1973

I don't have as much experience on guitar, but I, too, play guitar badly since about 1994. I still have the guitar. It's developed a weird habit, as playing the B string on the eleventh fret grounds out against other frets ahead of it and makes a disappointed sound. It won't do it on any other fret or any other string. I really ought to take it into a place that knows what the crap they're doing.

The only other thing that I'm remotely good at (supposing here that I think I'm remotely good at writing, which is a dangerous assumption in and of itself) is photography. When I met my wife, she was taking a photography class, and I sort of taught myself while playing around with her little Pentax 35mm SLR. Now I shoot with a Canon T3i and salivate uncontrollably whenever I get near a 70D.

Publius
01-22-2015, 02:53 PM
Cool, cool. Plenty of artists and musicians around here. I feel right at home.

Sorry to hear about your singing voice Siri. I was going to get my degree in Art, but I thought History was the more practical choice. Then, I got out of college and realized it wouldn't have mattered either way.

Larry M, I can relate. I played in crappy bands for about ten years. I had way too much fun. Some legal, mostly illegal fun. Loved every second of it. Oh, and it was fun to play music too. My current WIP tells my own story (though fictionalized) of joining a band in high school, and all the great experiences we had together.

I always wanted to learn how to play a horn, Locke. Their cool on recordings, but even better when their live. Around Buffalo we have a blues band that pulls off the full horn section at gigs.

brasiliareview
01-22-2015, 05:20 PM
I play ukulele like a madman. I've progressed farther on it than I ever did on other instruments. It's a lot of fun. I took it to a government agency - think DMV - with a big waiting room. Sat there and picked it. When I was called, the agent reached across the desk and asked to play it. Spread some aloha, broke through the bureaucracy.

Publius
01-22-2015, 09:37 PM
That's awesome Brasilia review. I always wanted to learn how to play the sitar.

KTC
01-22-2015, 09:42 PM
I took guitar lessons for about 4-5 years when I was a kid. Graduated to electric, learned everything. Then forgot every single thing as a result of my PTSD, I believe. Can't really pinpoint why I lost every note, chord, thingamajig ever associated with the guitar. So, not a musician.

Used to paint/draw in oils, acrylics, watercolors, charcoal, pencil, ink, mixed, etc. I used to actually work on commission for a while. Now, I probably couldn't draw an uncrooked stick figure. I lost most of it. I gave up art in about 1999ish???

Writing will be next to go. Please stand by...

Alessandra Kelley
01-22-2015, 10:02 PM
Sorry Alessandra, I assumed everyone was a writer. Not excluding anyone.

No exclusion presumed. I just feel like a bit of a pretender around here, not being a writer and all. Folks are quite welcoming anyhow.

Bryan Methods
01-22-2015, 10:09 PM

Ah! Me too. I've always been fascinated by how the sound of a sitar is made.

I also want to learn the Chapman Stick. They're amazing.

http://www.stick.com/instruments/stick/stick.jpg

Locke
01-22-2015, 11:01 PM
I always wanted to learn how to play a horn, Locke. Their cool on recordings, but even better when their live. Around Buffalo we have a blues band that pulls off the full horn section at gigs.

If you do, don't buy a silver one. Tarnish does not carry a pleasant smell — it's the chemical result of the silver binding sulfur out of the air. Plus, silver pits if you neglect it for long enough. No, go out and find an Olds Ambassador. They're old, brass, cheap, and can take a beating.

Snowstorm
01-22-2015, 11:09 PM
I play the guitar and banjo, and am now learning the bodhrán. I'm having a blast learning the drum. I'm in a band (now practicing/playing only in the summer when our leader is here). I have an art degree (summa cum laude). While I don't have time to make any art I own an art gallery.

I spent a long time singing in bands around the Buffalo, NY area. After a long hiatus, I finally started taking piano lessons about 3 months ago. I'm learning Fly Me to the Moon by Sinatra this week. Cool tune.

I'm envious of anyone who can play the piano. That's just pure magic to me!

Publius
01-23-2015, 12:31 AM
Me too Snowstorm. My teacher's got a Master's, and is trained in Jazz and Classical. Sometimes he plays a song before he dumbs it down for me. It makes me wanna go home and cry myself to sleep. I'm afraid to ask how long it'll be before I'm even half as good as he is.

patskywriter
01-23-2015, 06:50 AM
I play guitar, jazz and latin/Brazilian, and write songs every now and then—I even used to be in a salsa band. I'm also a deejay.

C.bronco
01-23-2015, 06:55 AM
I was torn between writing and art in high school. When I got to college, I thought I had to pick one, and didn't realize I could have double-majored. I picked English and writing, but I still do art for fun (mostly painting).

Filigree
01-23-2015, 07:00 AM
Cool thread! It's great to get to know some new and old names.

Until 2007 and a very bad bronchial infection, I sang soprano - mostly folk and jazz, with some classic rock thrown in. Not professionally, but for fun at conventions and gatherings. My voice has slowly come back a little, but now I can only sing in low registers. Perfect for torch songs, hey.

I intermittently play harp, psaltery, and end-blown flutes (quena and pennywhistle).

I've been a silversmith for longer than I've been a writer; the silver book in my avvie is one of my pieces from 2001.

I've been a fiber and bead artist for most of my life, in one form or another. I'm fortunate that I stumbled into artforms that celebrate beads and textile arts, and that I have solid, professional gallery representation for my jewelry, wall hangings, and book art sculptures.

Also, I write smut.

Xelebes
01-24-2015, 06:56 AM
I do most of my writing on synthesisers and computers. A lot of techno, industrial and electro(funk), mostly. I dabble with poetry but yeah. Did a year of viola, a couple years of choir, mother taught me piano and had a few moments where I was taught composition.

Ona Mission
01-24-2015, 07:11 AM
I can keep a tune (barely) with singing. I've dabbled in guitar. But I'm a classically trained flutist.

brasiliareview
01-24-2015, 05:26 PM

Thanks. When I push myself out of my comfort zone, good things can happen. And if they don't, it's a learning experience! Btw I suggest you get started on the sitar asap. Didn't George Harrison say it takes like 20 years to get good at it?

I play guitar, jazz and latin/Brazilian, and write songs every now and then—I even used to be in a salsa band. I'm also a deejay.

What kind of Brazilian music do you play? Any favorite artists?

greendragon
01-28-2015, 11:44 PM
I take photos (mostly Scotland, England and Ireland), paint in Photoshop with a mouse, and make jewelry out of tiny seed beads, sewing them on one by one with needle and thread. My website has all three in different galleries: www.greendragonartist.com. I've attached one of my necklaces. This necklace is about 14 inches across, made with size 11 seed beads (11 to an inch). http://www.greendragonartist.com/Galleries/Small%20Images/Jewelry/Wolf2.jpg

scifi_boy2002
01-28-2015, 11:59 PM
I play drums in a band and write songs.