Do you share places you submit and contests with other writers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I have always told my writer friends about where I submit and upcoming things like contests, conferences and grant opportunities with my writer friends, and for the most part that do the same. But some people see everyone as too much competition and think they will have a better shot if their friends aren't submitting to the same things.

Last year I applied to Tin House's conference, but did not make the cut. (It's okay because I really could have afforded it at the time.) My friend did get in and went. She said it great, and I think her writing did improve. I was the one who originally said we should both apply. While I am a little jealous, I am still happy for her. And it was fun to apply together and make sure we both met the deadline. She has been very helpful with telling me about some of these things. And I want to do the same for her. I don't think we view each other as competition as much as we do friends. And I believe there is space in the literary world for both of us. I believe she feels the same way.

Recently, a different friend told me about a contest he was going to enter. I checked it out, and decided to submit something. After the deadline passed, he told me that he wasn't able to finish his piece on time. I told him I entered, and he seemed a little mad at me. I would like to think I could win, but all writing competitions are tough. I don't think he has any reason to be mad at me, but I doubt he will tell me about things like this in the future.

Why are some writers willing to share leads and contacts and others aren't? Which type of writer are you? And do any of you think I did something wrong by submitting to a competition another writer told me about? This all seems very childish to me. Am I missing something?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I seldom enter contests because very few off them have any meaning at all, but of course I tell my writer friends about contests, anthologies, magazines, and anything else I find. Why wouldn't I?

It is true that writing is a competition, in the sense that there's only one winner in contests, and a magazine or anthology can only take so many stories, but if I'm not good enough to win that competition against the best, I don't want to do it at all.

Contests, magazines, and anthologies are open to all who are eligible, and if yu don't want me to enter, don't tell me about it. But I'm happy to tell everyone I know. If one of their stories beats out one of mine, good for them. It just means I have to write a better story next time. Be happy for your friends.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I share. Given how many entries big contests, conferences, anthologies and mags get, what are a few more?

A friend who doesn't want you to succeed isn't much of a friend. Being envious is all right, though, as long as you don't tell anyone about THAT.

;)

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I think you were right to enter the contest. Your friend has no legit reason to be mad at anyone but himself and only for failing to submit. I think it would be silly to not tell friends about contests. You're not the only one who knows about it, and the likelihood that you and your friend are the only ones in the whole competition with hopes of placing are really low. Friends are not your competition; they're your support. Besides, for me the social aspect is a big part of the contests. Why wouldn't I want to involve friends?

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
idk... Is there any chance your friend thought you were bragging about your entry, after he'd told you that he didn't enter?

See, I'm not a very trusting person. I'm used to people exploiting other people for their own purposes. So if it were me and my friend, I'd be a little suspicious that they wanted something else from me or that they didn't care about my goals at all.

Is this a rational fear? No, not really. Is it something you should be sensitive about? Maybe. You know your friends better than we do.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
idk... Is there any chance your friend thought you were bragging about your entry, after he'd told you that he didn't enter?

See, I'm not a very trusting person. I'm used to people exploiting other people for their own purposes. So if it were me and my friend, I'd be a little suspicious that they wanted something else from me or that they didn't care about my goals at all.

Is this a rational fear? No, not really. Is it something you should be sensitive about? Maybe. You know your friends better than we do.

There was no bragging. What would I possibly have to brag about? That I am about to lose another competition? I don't even understand how or why someone would brag about this. All I did was enter, put my hat in the running, took a shot (long shot) at something. And I'm not in any way using any of my writer friends. I think I let them know about just as many things as they let me know about. And, really, it's not like I stole the win from him. He chose not to even enter. I had no idea he would be upset about me entering. It's all very petty in my opinion.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Yes

we are not in competition (except in er competitions, and even then, hey who wins wins)

I recc people to other people all the time -- writers to agents etc. Why not?

A little jealousy when someone else gets what you want is normal

The trick is not to let the green enter your work. They are them and you cannot be them, Be you.

This can be harder than it sounds. But you gotta or you'l shrivel like a prune with it.

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
There was no bragging. What would I possibly have to brag about? That I am about to lose another competition? I don't even understand how or why someone would brag about this. All I did was enter, put my hat in the running, took a shot (long shot) at something. And I'm not in any way using any of my writer friends. I think I let them know about just as many things as they let me know about. And, really, it's not like I stole the win from him. He chose not to even enter. I had no idea he would be upset about me entering. It's all very petty in my opinion.

Just because you didn't mean it as bragging doesn't mean he didn't take it like that. I walk on eggshells around my friends because there are just some things that they're sensitive about.

If he's a jerk about it, then stop being his friend.

Last edited:

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
NO

I'M NOT HERE TO MAKE FRIENDS

I'M HERE TO WIN

[/everyrealityshow]

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I always let my buds know. If I'm going to lose out, it's better to lose to someone who I adore and who rocks it hardcore. :)

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's fine, and I'm sure I'd probably share info. Most of my experience with contests comes from college, where there writing community was self-contained and it was more or less a given that if you were an English major or were involved in writing classes/groups, you'd know people who were submitting stuff to the contests.

The only other contest I've ever entered was one that was promoted on here a few years back, and I'm sure I wasn't the only AWer who submitted something. When you're socially connected to other writers, I think it's have to avoid occasional "competition" between you and people you know.

Motley

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I share where I submit with other people when I think someone else would be interested. The competition aspect of it actually never crossed my mind. I'm oddly non-competitive in everything.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Motley said:
I share where I submit with other people when I think someone else would be interested. The competition aspect of it actually never crossed my mind. I'm oddly non-competitive in everything.

That's pretty much how I am. Some people just can't stand for anyone near them to have something they don't, and they don't know how to handle it when they lose and their friend wins. They need to be the best in their social group, and the idea of being sad that you lost but happy your friend won, all at the same time, is just too much cognitive dissonance for some people to handle.

I really try to avoid surrounding myself with those people.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

I'm extremely competitive, but this in no way means I don't want my friends to do well. Competitive just means I want to win, and I'll work hard to achieve this.. Who doesn't want to do well and succeed?

It also means I want to beat the best, not win because someone else didn't try.

Status
Not open for further replies.