PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever come across an exhaustive checklist of writing skills?

johnhallow
01-20-2015, 03:52 AM
Has anyone ever found something like this? I've never seen a list with practically every skill a writer needs in one place (they're usually quite broad -- character, setting, etc), and I figured it couldn't hurt to ask :D

thothguard51
01-20-2015, 04:02 AM
No. Why?

Because different writers with differing background are going to tell you different skill sets are needed. The same with writing programs at colleges or universities. They all generally have different definitions for what skills makes a good writer.

Or so is my experience...

blacbird
01-20-2015, 04:51 AM
Has anyone ever come across an exhaustive list of life skills?

Now go write a good story, and stop worrying about such claptrap.

caw

Usher
01-20-2015, 05:06 AM
Pretty much what the other said: Park your backside get writing and keep writing until it is finished.

Emermouse
01-20-2015, 05:16 AM
Pretty much the only writing advice you need is this:

1. Read
2. Write
3. Rewrite

It's like that Rabbi who summed up the Torah as this: "Love God with all your strength and all your heart and love your neighbor as yourself. Everything else is just commentary." That's about how it is with writing advice: outside the three steps, everything else is just commentary.

Jamesaritchie
01-20-2015, 12:19 PM
Has anyone ever found something like this? I've never seen a list with practically every skill a writer needs in one place (they're usually quite broad -- character, setting, etc), and I figured it couldn't hurt to ask :D

I find this an interesting question. I'm not at all sure I consider such things as character, setting, etc. broad, though. These seem pretty narrow and well defined, to me. Grammar, punctuation, characterization, description, dialogue, pace, flow, mood, tone, and story seem to sum it up. I think a good writer need to be reasonably skillful at all these things.

I'm not at all sure how you could narrow them down more than this? These are the skills you need.

chompers
01-20-2015, 12:27 PM
I think some author had made some checklists and put it up on her blog, but I can't remember who it was. I think it was called like pillars of writing, or something like that?

JustSarah
01-20-2015, 05:53 PM
I don't currently follow such blogs, so I wouldn't know. I think it would be impossible to determine individually whether one has the skill or not. Though (in my experience bare in mind) is just as unreliable. By the tendency of different readers interpreting work differently. (Which isn't a bad thing.)

kuwisdelu
01-20-2015, 06:19 PM
I don't even know what that means.

Kylabelle
01-20-2015, 06:49 PM
I googled "exhaustive checklist of writing skills" and came up with this thread.

:e2dance:

So, I guess, no one has compiled such a checklist. So, the field is open. :D

atombaby
01-26-2015, 09:10 AM
Anything goes, including meowing!

Neegh
01-26-2015, 10:15 AM

The most important skill any writer can employ is their own experience.

*Course, a good concept of how to use language helps.