PDA

View Full Version : The Sparkle Wars: Taking Our Lumps--and April Fools' Day, early

MacAllister
04-01-2006, 04:19 AM
Mods with too much time on our hands are sort of like a classroom full of very bright and unruly teenagers.

April Fools, a day early--and please feel free to be cranky at us for our collective sophmoric sense of humor.

Forbidden Snowflake
04-01-2006, 04:21 AM
:rant:As a newbie you just make yourself small and wonder what's going on in a very shy manner. Not nice. :D

MacAllister
04-01-2006, 04:22 AM
:) I know. I'm sorry. That's why I'm blowing the whistle, early.

Birol
04-01-2006, 04:24 AM
Sorry. In the mod room, I'd said I wasn't going to participate, and then I ended up being one of the biggest ducks in the puddle.

I throw myself on the community's mercy.

jdkiggins
04-01-2006, 04:26 AM
Sorry, Forbidden. We don't act like this all the time. :D

Dawno
04-01-2006, 04:28 AM
Me too. Actually I can take the entire burden of this - I started the conversation and encouraged the joke along. I've also been handing out sparklies to anyone that asked.

So, please, Blame Dawno! (the sparkly AV returns when I can get to my other computer)

Forbidden Snowflake
04-01-2006, 04:29 AM
Sorry, Forbidden. We don't act like this all the time. :D

I hope, it was way too crazy. ;)

jdkiggins
04-01-2006, 04:32 AM
And my sparklies are gone.

Tilly
04-01-2006, 04:33 AM
So no one is really banned?

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smilehooray.gif

I. Am. So. Gullible.

And you guys are evilhttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoticonwag.gif

Birol
04-01-2006, 04:34 AM
You want your rep point back, Tilly? I'll have Charlie edit my point total down if you do.

rekirts
04-01-2006, 04:34 AM
You know, you guys were brilliant. It reminded me of an April fool's joke I saw on the BBC years ago. These diplomats were supposed to be meeting to discuss the construction of the tunnel from France to England. There was some disagreement about the direction it was taking and where the two sides would meet up. At first it all seemed very real, but when they resorted to fisticuffs we kind of caught on that it was a joke.

(And y'all are gonna BURN)

jdkiggins
04-01-2006, 04:36 AM
:D :2angel:

Perks
04-01-2006, 04:38 AM
Talk about trial by fire. Did I pass initiation? Sheesh.

I have a few sympathizers I have to thank and apologize to...

Tilly
04-01-2006, 04:39 AM
You want your rep point back, Tilly? I'll have Charlie edit my point total down if you do.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteROFL.gif Nope.
I really should have realised at the point GoodWord was accusing Mac of something to do with an Arabian mare, but it's late and my brain was overloading.

Birol
04-01-2006, 04:40 AM
(And y'all are gonna BURN)

Uh oh. Our TIO peeps are plotting revenge.

Dawno
04-01-2006, 04:40 AM
where was that??!! I missed that one!

Birol
04-01-2006, 04:41 AM
It's Last Hurrah's deleted post.

jackie106
04-01-2006, 04:42 AM
The mods are so sneaky. I think I'll have to put all of you on my ignore list! ;)

Jackie

Cathy C
04-01-2006, 04:45 AM
We're all great pals in the Mod Room. Promise! No snarky emails or PMs going back and forth (that I'm aware of anyway!)

APRIL FOOL! GOTCHA! :D

Tilly
04-01-2006, 04:46 AM
Actually, reading back through, there are so many points at which it should have twigged, but somehow...http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/e2hammer.gif

awatkins
04-01-2006, 04:57 AM
:Hug2: everybody.

<-- See? No sparklies. :)

arrowqueen
04-01-2006, 05:01 AM
I have one word for you:

psittacosis.

ChunkyC
04-01-2006, 05:14 AM
I really hope nobody is too upset with us. We've been planning this for a week, and couldn't figure out what specifically to fight over until ATP started the 'sparklies' thread. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

I've been lurking all day, and nearly spit tea all over my monitor when aka eraser insinuated that all this started when Jenna handed the reins over to me. (don't put your shoes on without looking in them first, Frank http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif)

Forgive us? Pretty please?

Susie
04-01-2006, 05:24 AM
Well, I for one didn't think it was funny and you should all be whipped with a wet noodle! :D: :D: :D: :D: :D: :D: Here's :Cake: and :popcorn:

APRIL FOOL'S!!! heheheheheheheheheheheheheheh.

Good Word
04-01-2006, 05:24 AM
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteROFL.gif Nope.
I really should have realised at the point GoodWord was accusing Mac of something to do with an Arabian mare, but it's late and my brain was overloading.

I didn't even think it was up long enough for anyone to see.

Especially Mac.

jdkiggins
04-01-2006, 05:25 AM
:Hug2: to all for being such good sports.

Yeshanu
04-01-2006, 05:38 AM
I missed Last Hurrah's post, and also don't know where Frank said it all started when Jenna handed over the reins to CC. I couldn't be on as much today as I normally am, 'cause I have a super-duper type cold.

But when I was on, it made me forget for that time that I was sick... :D

I don't think I've had this much fun in a long, long time. Thanks for putting up with it.

And I brought back my sparklie avatar until tomorrow because I like it better than the one without sparklies, not because I think folks with non-sparklie avatars are in any way inferior. It's more true to the film than the plain picture. (And many thanks to Dawno, who's the one who made it sparkle for me.)

ATP
04-01-2006, 05:46 AM
Hmmm... droll, very, very droll.

ATP

jdkiggins
04-01-2006, 05:50 AM
And big hugs :Hug2: to ATP for starting a thread that we so humbly took the advantage of using for our war.

AmyBA
04-01-2006, 05:50 AM
That was brilliant! Totally replaces my former "best April Fool's Day story," which was when my brother dipped all of our toothbrushes in vinegar.

Birol
04-01-2006, 05:51 AM
Ewww.

AmyBA
04-01-2006, 05:55 AM
Yeah, it was pretty gross. Then the was the year he smushed all of the toothpaste to the sealed end of the tube and filled the rest with water... I'm always a bit wary on April 1, even though we live more than 200 miles apart now.

jdkiggins
04-01-2006, 05:55 AM
Double Ewww.

Celia Cyanide
04-01-2006, 06:05 AM
AAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! OMG, you guys are BRILLIANT!!!!

How the hell did you keep all the soap opera plots straight the whole time???? Apparently, there was some sort of nasty PM war between Cathy C and Ray, and Aconite had some sort of ongoing fight with Roger about Aconite's crappy internet connection, and Dawno was some sort of cult leader??? You really had me thinking that "sparklies" were all a code for some other thing that was going on between mods that we weren't supposed to know, and then every now and then, I would think, "uh, what if they really ARE upset with Dawno for her sparkly ears?"

Poor Perks and Rhymegirl, though, they really did seem upset!

Yeshanu
04-01-2006, 06:08 AM
AAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! OMG, you guys are BRILLIANT!!!!

How the hell did you keep all the soap opera plots straight the whole time???? Apparently, there was some sort of nasty PM war between Cathy C and Ray, and Aconite had some sort of ongoing fight with Roger about Aconite's crappy internet connection, and Dawno was some sort of cult leader??? You really had me thinking that "sparklies" were all a code for some other thing that was going on between mods that we weren't supposed to know, and then every now and then, I would think, "uh, what if they really ARE upset with Dawno for her sparkly ears?"

The corresponding thread in the Mod Squad room went from six pages to twelve pages in the space of a few hours...

Dawno
04-01-2006, 06:08 AM
Oh, Celia, they were in on it...I do think there is some underlying jealousy about my darling ears. ;)

Yeah, and it had the most posts of any I've seen on the first several pages...

Jcomp
04-01-2006, 06:10 AM
I just wish I would've fell for it. You guys sold it pretty well. Why am I so damn cynical?

Anyway, no harm no foul. What's April Fool's day without the jokes being played?

maestrowork
04-01-2006, 06:10 AM
I HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT... :) ;) :) ;)

Peggy
04-01-2006, 06:11 AM
Forgive us? Pretty please? Forgive, yes - but forget, never! (Well done)

Dawno
04-01-2006, 06:11 AM

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. I'll believe that and buy that bridge you're selling, too.

Cathy C
04-01-2006, 06:14 AM
:roll: No, not a bit...

Yeshanu
04-01-2006, 06:14 AM

*cough*

*hack*

*cough*

I just wish I would've fell for it. You guys sold it pretty well. Why am I so damn cynical?

You quote Lucy in your sig and you wonder why you're cynical?

JComp, it's just you. We need your type in the world, too. :Hug2:

(And you can always enjoy laughing when somebody else falls for it...)

Perks
04-01-2006, 06:15 AM

We were in a great position to play victim seeing as we had less than a day to learn the stupid, secret handshake and memorize the dippy bylaws.

rhymegirl
04-01-2006, 06:23 AM

Great acting skills! :thankyou:

jdkiggins
04-01-2006, 06:28 AM
Yeah right!!! And you drug me into your PM war with Cathy! LOL

Great acting Perks and Kathy! You did well for your first day on the job.

Haggis
04-01-2006, 06:31 AM
Oh, sure. Let a guy think he's got a shot at becoming a moderater. Then pull the rug right out from under him. I even went out and bought my own red "banning button too." http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoticonwag.gif

Dawno
04-01-2006, 06:32 AM
We were in a great position to play victim seeing as we had less than a day to learn the stupid, secret handshake and memorize the dippy bylaws.

Dippy by-laws??

What is it with young people today. Why when I was a young mod we had to memorize the whole charter and all the amendments in addition to the bylaws.

And walk up hill to the mod room barefoot in the snow. I once had to kill a grizzly with nothing but my 3-ring binder!

hmph. Young whipersnappers.

Good Word
04-01-2006, 06:39 AM
I usually never swear.

Roger J Carlson
04-01-2006, 07:31 AM
Me too. Actually I can take the entire burden of this - I started the conversation and encouraged the joke along. I've also been handing out sparklies to anyone that asked.

So, please, Blame Dawno! (the sparkly AV returns when I can get to my other computer)Now, now. You can't take all the credit -- er -- blame. I distinctly remember Ray suggesting we have a cat fight, but *I* suggested the Sparklie War. To wit:

We still have to come up with something to have a mod-blowup over that will get us all banned. Maybe it could be a war between the sparklies and the non-sparklies. (Like something out of Dr. Seuss). We could start by swiping at each other's avatars in the OP threads.
Really, when you think about it, how silly is that?

Oh, and like Good Word, I never swear on the boards so for the record, the post that got me "banned" was really:

Oh, go ************ (congratulate) yourself. You're as bad as Jenna. I get so tired of all the self-righteous, mealy-mouthed ****** (wisdom) around here!

Perks
04-01-2006, 07:36 AM
Just for the record (and a warning) I swear a lot.

JenNipps
04-01-2006, 07:39 AM

You know, I can say that with a straight face and mean it. :)

I don't do April Fool's anymore.

awatkins
04-01-2006, 07:44 AM
I have one word for you:

psittacosis.

I think I'm immune. Or else I've been so affected *twitch* by it *twitch* that I barely notice *twitch* anymore. :D

Shadow_Ferret
04-01-2006, 07:53 AM
You know, I thought about this after I left work and I did notice one thing, no regular posters were banned, only the Mods. So I suspected it was an April Fool's Joke, I just haven't been able to post until now.

But I have no way of proving I thought that. So nevermind.

It was fun.

I guess those scab mod jobs are out now?

Jean Marie
04-01-2006, 08:30 AM
The one thing I was absolutely certain of was, that it was Dawno's fault http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

robeiae
04-01-2006, 08:35 AM
I think this whole thing sucks.

Brokenfingers and I had planned a complete takeover after the bloodbath. Now, what am I gonna do with 31 AK-47's and a crate of hand grenades?

As to assigning blame, it CRYSTAL clear to me that Mac and Birol need to be punished. Have 'em both shipped to me via UPS or FedEx. Then, I'll have them flogged on South Beach.

And Jenna, if you'd like to watch, come on down. Just lose the Hooters shirt first--then you can join me in a Pina Colada (and I do mean in, I've got a really big glass...).

And for future reference--Dawno and Sara having a fight is about as convincing as Celia and LJ having one.

Rob :)

astonwest
04-01-2006, 08:43 AM
Ah, all the fun sh*t I miss being offline for a few days...

Now, someone make me up an afterburner animation...

tiny
04-01-2006, 08:44 AM
Brokenfingers and I had planned a complete takeover after the bloodbath. Now, what am I gonna do with 31 AK-47's and a crate of hand grenades?

Two timing slut.

robeiae
04-01-2006, 08:45 AM
Two timing slut.We were gonna use you as a decoy.

tiny
04-01-2006, 08:47 AM
I'll get you both.

Serenity
04-01-2006, 08:55 AM
I think this whole thing sucks.

OOooooOOOoooOOooOoOooo!!!!! :guns: AK-47's and hand grenades... I'm coming to your house for 4th of July this year... wait, cinco de mayo is sooner.

Yeah, that's it, I'm coming to your house for cinco de mayo! (checks flight plans) Hmmm... then again, how's tomorrow for ya? I likes to blow s#$% up! (Figuratively speaking, of course.) I actually- well, with help- have blown up two ships, two planets and a small motorhome in various works.

Eh... it's something to do during the 'downtime'.

CaoPaux
04-01-2006, 09:06 AM
I'm relieved it was a joke.

rekirts
04-01-2006, 09:07 AM
Now, now. You can't take all the credit -- er -- blame. I distinctly remember Ray suggesting we have a cat fight, but *I* suggested the Sparklie War. To wit:

Really, when you think about it, how silly is that?

Oh, and like Good Word, I never swear on the boards so for the record, the post that got me "banned" was really:

Oh, go ************ (congratulate) yourself. You're as bad as Jenna. I get so tired of all the self-righteous, mealy-mouthed ****** (wisdom) around here!You know I did notice that there were too many asteriks for it to be any reasonable swear word, but then I don't claim to be familiar with every obscenity in the world so it didn't clue me in at the time.

JennaGlatzer
04-01-2006, 09:34 AM
DAM! DAM! DAM! I WAS LATE!

I'm so mad I missed today's "escalation." I thought we were ending it at noon tomorrow. I've been out all day/night. But that was a freakin' riot. How much did you want to hug KTC for the sweet post?

You guys and gals are THE BEST. All of you. I didn't think we'd fool too many people because I think most of you know there's a great mod lovefest... but I think the acting jobs were superb, and I might have been fooled myself had I not known about it.

Um... April Fool's! :D

Give Momma a hug! :e2arms:
P.S. Some of the other ideas we considered: Telling you that I'd sold AW to PublishAmerica, that Uncle Jim was taking a job with PublishAmerica, that Lori was having Roger's lovechild, that Sara was having Ray's lovechild...

Dawno
04-01-2006, 09:51 AM
Good Word and I could snap at each other in a tatting vs. bobbin lace thread if you'd like...

;)

oswann
04-01-2006, 10:08 AM
Nice work everyone. I couldn't have thought of a better end to all the silliness. When I read Roger Carlson's post to Aconite I nearly PM'd to say I hope I wasn't going to far as if I was really sowing seeds of discontent. Bravo.

Os.

AdamH
04-01-2006, 10:19 AM
:Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail:

For the mods of cool. :cool:

Well played....well played....and Charlie (shakes head)...how can I ever trust you again???? Oooooh, how can I get upset at that wide-eyed blinking worm avatar? You're forgiven.

reph
04-01-2006, 10:21 AM
Has someone clued in XThe NavigatorX? He stomped off in disgust.

My-Immortal
04-01-2006, 10:28 AM
Hm. Missed some 'fun'....lol

Prosthetic Foreheads
04-01-2006, 10:29 AM
Has someone clued in XThe NavigatorX? He stomped off in disgust.
Yeah, why is he still banned?

tiny
04-01-2006, 10:34 AM
Yeah, why is he still banned?

He's not, it's just his user title. He's still in the member's list. I think he figured it out and played along.

JennaGlatzer
04-01-2006, 11:19 AM
Exactly. :D That wasn't "stomping off in disgust," it was "I wanna play, too!"

P.S. I think we decided that MaddWriter was the first to become suspicious (though Charlie apparently fixed that... mwahahaha!), and XTheNavigatorX was second. Someone told Nav along the way because he was outing us too well.

ATP
04-01-2006, 11:38 AM
You all had better pray that it doesn't back-fire, eh??

ATP

Medievalist
04-01-2006, 11:39 AM
I didn't even think it was up long enough for anyone to see.

Especially Mac.

Mac is all seeing . . .

reph
04-01-2006, 11:51 AM
Not having followed the threads involved, I first heard about this game after the mods confessed it. I didn't see Nav's posts, only his "reasons" for deleting them.

Forbidden Snowflake
04-01-2006, 03:05 PM
P.S. Some of the other ideas we considered: Telling you that I'd sold AW to PublishAmerica.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteROFL.gifThat would have been way harder to believe.

aruna
04-01-2006, 04:05 PM
Mods with too much time on our hands are sort of like a classroom full of very bright and unruly teenagers.

April Fools, a day early--and please feel free to be cranky at us for our collective sophmoric sense of humor.

Missed everything. Where was this fight????

Tilly
04-01-2006, 04:11 PM
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30062

Aconite
04-01-2006, 05:18 PM
If anyone was truly disturbed by the practical joke, allow me to apologize. It was all meant in good fun, and I hope you got a lot of laughs out of it.

aruna
04-01-2006, 05:37 PM
If anyone was truly disturbed by the practical joke, allow me to apologize. It was all meant in good fun, and I hope you got a lot of laughs out of it.

I'm so glad that I found it AFTER the war, however; I'd have been deeply distressed otherwise.:cry:

Good Word
04-01-2006, 06:25 PM
Good Word and I could snap at each other in a tatting vs. bobbin lace thread if you'd like...

;)

Don't make me get up and come over there. I might have to flail you with a pierogie or something equally ethnic.

robeiae
04-01-2006, 06:36 PM
P.S. I think we decided that MaddWriter was the first to become suspicious (though Charlie apparently fixed that... mwahahaha!), and XTheNavigatorX was second. Someone told Nav along the way because he was outing us too well.
We decided? What, is ESP a mod power now?

Roger J Carlson
04-01-2006, 06:38 PM

Rob :)Well duh! Of course. Always has been.

Birol
04-01-2006, 06:40 PM
What surprises me is no one picked up on the changing 'Banned' titles. The throwaway identities the mods made to 'come back' were really banned, but the mods faked their own bannings by changing their titles. In the mod room we were having conversations like this:

Mod#1: Eek! You used all UPPER CASE. Quick! Change it to upper and lower or it won't look real.

Mod#2 hurried off to make the change. Their title changed from BANNED to Banned.

Mod#3 I just changed my title but I don't remember where the invisible option is. HELP!

A flurry of posts tell Mod#3 where the invisibility controls are located. Five minutes later, the banned mod disappeared from the boards.

Also, when someone is really banned, the 2nd title line disappears. I was surprised no one picked up on that.

Meanwhile, I was posting things like: Who made posts that I need to delete again? And where the heck are they? And can someone give me a list of the alternative id's that need to be banned? Is HiveHome a cast off id or a genuine new poster?

It was as chaotic as backstage at a live production.

CaroGirl
04-01-2006, 06:44 PM
From another newbie, I also just sat back and watched, waiting to see what would happen. I am also a gullible, naive dupe. I'll chalk it up to not being on here long enough to know the individuals involved. Good joke, I guess; I believed it.

Oh well. Live and learn.

robeiae
04-01-2006, 06:54 PM
What surprises me is no one picked up on the changing 'Banned' titles. The throwaway identities the mods made to 'come back' were really banned, but the mods faked their own bannings by changing their titles. In the mod room we were having conversations like this:
What doesn't surprise me is that the mods were actually worried about stuff like this, like we've got nothing better to do than search the boards for discrepancies in their user titles...:D

Rob :D (and so what if we don't!)

Sarita
04-01-2006, 06:57 PM
And for future reference--Dawno and Sara having a fight is about as convincing as Celia and LJ having one.:tongue Hey! I've had my fair share of fights with er- people on the boards! I can be a real b!tch if I want to. No really, I can! REALLY!

Roger J Carlson
04-01-2006, 06:59 PM
It was as chaotic as backstage at a live production.It came off surprisingly well, considering we didn't have a script or much of a plan. Everything was off the cuff. It did progress faster than any of us anticipated. We really wanted to wait till today, but it unraveled too fast. Probably started too early, but I needed to get banned right away as I had a ton of work to do. (work -- you know, that stuff that employers want you to do all the time)

I also want to add my apologies to CaroGirl and other new members who wondered what sort of madhouse they'd wandered into. We're not usually like that. It is a madhouse sometimes, but a different sort of madhouse. I hope you'll stick around and see for yourselves.

SpookyWriter
04-01-2006, 07:06 PM
:tongue Hey! I've had my fair share of fights with er- people on the boards! I can be a real b!tch if I want to. No really, I can! REALLY!
Ah, you're too sweet to try and convince me otherwise.

rhymegirl
04-01-2006, 07:11 PM
What doesn't surprise me is that the mods were actually worried about stuff like this, like we've got nothing better to do than search the boards for discrepancies in their user titles...:D

Oh come on, Rob. We know how intelligent and attentive AW members are. Surely somebody out there will pick up on boo-boos made by Mods.

ChunkyC
04-01-2006, 07:20 PM
Oh come on, Rob. We know how intelligent and attentive AW members are. Surely somebody out there will pick up on boo-boos made by Mods.
I think he's just ticked he didn't catch that. Or that I was supposedly MIA, but had been logged in all morning before I realized I hadn't set myself to invisible mode. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

rekirts
04-01-2006, 07:21 PM
Sometimes you notice little things, but they just don't fall into place right away. At one point I figured mods where banning themselves to be funny, but the acting was so good that I got sucked in after all. I mean, I've seen message board fights like that where people's reactions escalated all out of proportion to the issue that started it. Not that I thought it had anything to do with sparklies.

(This post is too long to put into dialect. Sorry.)

Sury
04-01-2006, 07:24 PM
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gifhttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gifhttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
Very well-executed. Huge round of applause to all the culprits and masterminds. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteClap.gifhttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteClap.gifhttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteClap.gif

Sury

AdamH
04-01-2006, 07:25 PM

You should see what happens when you get them mad. Last week, one of them set fire to the curtains in my room a la Carrie for something I said. Don't tempt them!

robeiae
04-01-2006, 07:26 PM
I think he's just ticked he didn't catch that. Or that I was supposedly MIA, but had been logged in all morning before I realized I hadn't set myself to invisible mode. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Attached Images
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=654&stc=1

:e2point:

Bufty
04-01-2006, 07:30 PM
Hmmmm. Forgive you? Of course - of course - of course - need you ask? :roll:

I enjoy being taken for a ride down Dumbo lane. :rant:

Be afraid, guys, be afraid. Us ordinary non-Mod members aren't so dumb we ain't going to figure out a way to kick your butts for this. And we got a whole year to plan it, too.:idea:

jenngreenleaf
04-01-2006, 07:35 PM
All I can really say is . . .

:Jaw: :Shrug: :ROFL:
. . . I was wondering if I was going to be an April Fool this year. Guess that question's been answered! heehee

Roger J Carlson
04-01-2006, 07:36 PM
(note to mods: keep an eye on bufty.)

rhymegirl
04-01-2006, 07:42 PM
I was just telling my husband about the rep comments I received about my "acting job" yesterday for the April Fool's joke.

I said to him, "Hey, do you think I should have become an actress?"

He said, "That's how you hooked me."

Now what does that mean????

awatkins
04-01-2006, 07:42 PM
You should see what happens when you get them mad. Last week, one of them set fire to the curtains in my room a la Carrie for something I said. Don't tempt them!

We told you not to mention that. Didn't we tell you not to mention that? Huh?

Bwahahahaha!

ChunkyC
04-01-2006, 07:44 PM
Attached Images
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=654&stc=1

:e2point:
Rob, I asked you not to show our vacation pictures to anyone!

Roger J Carlson
04-01-2006, 07:53 PM
Rob, I asked you not to show our vacation pictures to anyone!I wanna see the pictures of Rob!

jdkiggins
04-01-2006, 07:56 PM
I was just telling my husband about the rep comments I received about my "acting job" yesterday for the April Fool's joke.

I said to him, "Hey, do you think I should have become an actress?"

Now what does that mean????
Before you ask, "What does that mean?", be very, very sure your skin is thick, Kathy.:ROFL:

robeiae
04-01-2006, 07:57 PM
You were a hooker????

Elincoln
04-01-2006, 08:08 PM
Considering I have Dayquil IVed to my veins, I was completely lost for the whole thing. But I KNEW something was up when Joanne and Kathy were going toe to toe. That was just too off in left field to be real.

aka eraser
04-01-2006, 08:15 PM
I'm glad to see Dawno took the blame. It was the right thing to do.

0 :)

jdkiggins
04-01-2006, 08:19 PM
http://65.214.37.88/ts?t=5609102471502332514.jpg
What! We didn't look like we were in a "real" cat fight?!

Hivehome
04-01-2006, 08:20 PM
yay! im unbanned. just wanted to say that you guyz dont suck at all. i think ur all cool!

7h1$ p|4c3 r0c|<$

--Hivehome

SpookyWriter
04-01-2006, 08:21 PM
You were a hooker???? Or bait.

Dawno
04-01-2006, 08:22 PM
I'm glad to see Dawno took the blame. It was the right thing to do.

0 :)

Of course! Everything since 1957 is Dawno's fault. Happy to be of service.

jdkiggins
04-01-2006, 08:24 PM
We're still waiting for you to bring back your sparkly ears, Dawno. :D

SpookyWriter
04-01-2006, 08:26 PM
Of course! Everything since 1957 is Dawno's fault. Happy to be of service.
Including the Kuba missile crisis?

http://www.paquettes.com/zukovega/hello/314698/640/07-04-2005___7-2005.07.14-17.21.38.jpg

SpookyWriter
04-01-2006, 08:32 PM
I'm not going to bother to read this thread. I will just say that I think what you did was deplorable.Me??? I missed it or whatever everyone is talking about. Darn.

Dawno
04-01-2006, 08:33 PM
Including the Kuba missile crisis?

It's my burdent to bear. Is that Kuba? Did he burn his fingers?

SpookyWriter
04-01-2006, 08:36 PM
It's my burdent to bear. Is that Kuba? Did he burn his fingers?
Hint hint...
http://www.fredstein.com/images/Castro.jpg

brokenfingers
04-01-2006, 08:59 PM
Personally, I don't think it was a joke. I think it all really went down like we saw it and today they're pulling our legs and just acting like it never happened and they're all one big happy family - all for April Fool's Day.

Tomorrow, the bannings begin anew. They can't fool me!

No sirree.

Nope.

Not BF!

No way, Jose!

Wasn't born yesterday, dangnabbit!

I'm on to you guys!!

Sven_the_Viking
04-01-2006, 09:02 PM
After all the problems you had with the moderators yesterday the management of Absolute Write has asked me to come and oversee the behavior of the moderators who were so unruly yesterday.

I will treat everyone with typical Viking fairness.

The Black Knight
04-01-2006, 09:03 PM
Cod-less knave! Thou cannot even read English!

The Black Knight

Sven_the_Viking
04-01-2006, 09:05 PM
While this is true - I can ban you if you anger me. Let us discuss this like warriors over some mead. I've been asked to be 'reasonable'

Jean Marie
04-01-2006, 09:06 PM
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gifhttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gifhttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
Very well-executed. Huge round of applause to all the culprits and masterminds. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteClap.gifhttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteClap.gifhttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteClap.gif

Sury
Oh, please, I beg of you--never, ever even hint that Dawno may even, um, fall into the, um, latter category. See, I couldn't say it http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif It got stuck in my throat, it did. Now, culprit, that's another story. Feel free. Free as the wind...

Dawno
04-01-2006, 09:21 PM
Hmph. I can too be a mastermind.

::stomps tiny foot and pouts::

Jean Marie
04-01-2006, 09:27 PM
Hmph. I can too be a mastermind.

::stomps tiny foot and pouts::
Will it make ya feel better if I call ya a serial culprit http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteHug2.gif

rhymegirl
04-01-2006, 09:37 PM
Personally, I don't think it was a joke. I think it all really went down like we saw it and today they're pulling our legs and just acting like it never happened and they're all one big happy family - all for April Fool's Day.

Shhh, Jenna! Don't give it away.

jdkiggins
04-01-2006, 09:49 PM
:ROFL: Kathy. I just lost a mouthful of coffee when I noticed your sig line.

"I'll try my best to pay attention,
It could all be gone, in the blink of an eye."

Boy, had I noticed it yesterday, I could have used that in our cat fight, along with telling you to keep up. LOL

rhymegirl
04-01-2006, 09:52 PM
:ROFL: Kathy. I just lost a mouthful of coffee when I noticed your sig line.

"I'll try my best to pay attention,
It could all be gone, in the blink of an eye."

Boy, had I noticed it yesterday, I could have used that in our cat fight, along with telling you to keep up. LOL

Coffee??
Actually my sig line is a line from one of the songs I wrote.

But, ah ha, yes, you could have ribbed me on that.

jdkiggins
04-01-2006, 10:11 PM
Great line. I'll bet the song is awesome!

Eveningsdawn
04-02-2006, 12:57 AM
...can someone tell me what's going on here? I don't come online in two days, and then something interesting happens...

jenngreenleaf
04-02-2006, 12:59 AM
...can someone tell me what's going on here? I don't come online in two days, and then something interesting happens...

LOL You have a lot to catch up on . . . !!!

Eveningsdawn
04-02-2006, 01:11 AM
I just went and looked.

Dude, you people win the April-Fools-Joke Award.

astonwest
04-02-2006, 11:52 PM
What's most entertaining about all of this is the response many had to a certain past figure faking his own death, versus being heavily involved in this particular prank...

I was actually contemplating convincing everyone I was divorcing my wife and heading out to meet with any one of a number of AW ladies (or Rob), but I had some other business to take care of...

MrAlex'sMommy
04-03-2006, 02:48 AM
Well, I stayed up until after 2am my time trying to follow everything -- and I had to get up at 6am the next day! I seriously thought you had all gone mad!

I confess to lurking more than posting, mostly because I don't feel I have anything of value to add, and I'm terrible at padding my posts. However, I do read A LOT of the posts, and I was completely shocked at how crazy some of the people I look up to on here were acting.

Shame on you all!!! http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/tongue.gif But, I admit, it was a really great April Fool's Day joke.

SpookyWriter
04-03-2006, 02:51 AM
Shame on you all!!! http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/tongue.gif But, I admit, it was a really great April Fool's Day joke.
Welcome and hope you enjoy the crazy ride. Glad you enjoyed because I was snoring whilst they were having funnies...boohoo...I missed all the fun!

Yeshanu
04-03-2006, 03:22 AM
Well, I stayed up until after 2am my time trying to follow everything -- and I had to get up at 6am the next day! I seriously thought you had all gone mad!

:ROFL: :roll: :ROFL:

I admit to having a lot of fun on Friday, and I was really sorry to have to go to bed last night before everyone's avatar was finally changed, but the cola and toothpicks weren't working.

I think April Fool's should be declared a special AW Cooler holiday, and last for at least three days...

jdkiggins
04-03-2006, 03:39 AM
I had loads of fun yesterday and Friday and I'm still racing around the threads. :D

jenngreenleaf
04-03-2006, 07:30 PM

I thought it was, too! I lurked more than anything else because I was worried about getting banned for adding anything to the conversation. LOL

CaoPaux
04-04-2006, 12:36 AM
If anyone was truly disturbed by the practical joke, allow me to apologize. It was all meant in good fun, and I hope you got a lot of laughs out of it.Heh. If I'd been able to follow with my full attention, I'd have probably clued in. As it was, I spent most of the day with a sour stomach thinking AW was going the way of far too many boards.

I'll forgive y'all.

Eventually. http://deephousepage.com/smilies/eviltongue.gif

louisgodwin
04-04-2006, 10:04 AM
I just can't believe I actually fell for it. I didn't fall for William's April Fool's day thread, or Ray's. And I certainly hope nobody fell for mine.

The mods here are evil. Jenna come back!

ETA: The first time I saw The Sixth Sense, I knew something was odd about the way Bruce Willis always wore that damn blue shirt everyday, but I just didn't make the connection. Now I look back at that thread, and think, "I should have seen it. Why didn't I see it?!" I mean, like, when Good Word called Dawno a "P*ssy"!!! My God, how could I NOT have seen it?!

Dawno
04-04-2006, 06:55 PM
that was pretty good, wasn't it. We kept sending rep pts to each other saying stuff like "I don't mean it!" "was that over the top?" :)

oswann
04-04-2006, 08:24 PM
that was pretty good, wasn't it. We kept sending rep pts to each other saying stuff like "I don't mean it!" "was that over the top?" :)

I received rep points from people saying they were out to get me.

Os.

Unique
04-04-2006, 08:28 PM

Os.

D***. Missed again!

oswann
04-04-2006, 08:29 PM
D***. Missed again!

I'm slippery like that.

Os.

Dawno
04-04-2006, 10:48 PM

Os.

Surely this wasn't a surprise? And how was that different from most days?

MrAlex'sMommy
04-05-2006, 01:00 AM
I thought it was, too! I lurked more than anything else because I was worried about getting banned for adding anything to the conversation. LOL

Ah. . .that's exactly how I felt. I was telling my grandmother about all the shenanigans, and how ridiculous I felt about not catching on. She told me about an April Fools Day joke played on her about 20 years ago, when her sister had a man call claiming to be from Publisher's Clearing House. Poor granny was smart enough to take down a phone number to "confirm," but forgot to call it before she had called everyone in the family shrieking about how she had won one million dollars. I didn't feel so bad after that.

Then again, this is the same woman who called me last month to say she had won a European lottery she had never entered. It was a very lucky win -- all she had to do was provide the "committee" with her bank account details. Good stuff. She often makes me feel a little better about myself. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Yeshanu
04-05-2006, 03:54 AM
Then again, this is the same woman who called me last month to say she had won a European lottery she had never entered. It was a very lucky win -- all she had to do was provide the "committee" with her bank account details.
Hey! My mom got one of those letters too!

(How come I never get any?)

(Oh, yeah. No credit card, no money in my bank account...)

Hyperbole
04-06-2006, 10:10 AM
Good grief.

I'd never entered the office party before the infamous sparklie debate. Then I sneaked out just before I was certain my head would get guillotined. Come back after a week's vacation and I discover I'm the dork I'd always suspected.:e2bike2: :e2bike2: :e2bike2: :e2bike2:

You're all evil.

So then, are sparklies fair game til next April? I'm up over 50 posts now and even have some hard-earned rep points. Hate to have to start over as "Minesweeper" or "007".;)

But then, there is my bling-needing pooch to consider...