Not open for further replies.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
I'm single. Again. I hate it.

For all you married writers out there, and all you non-single writers out there, where did you find your mate?

How did you get them to get over the fact that you were a writer?

badducky

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
The worst thing about me -- per my public profile -- is that I require a swimming pool of caffiene to function in society.

So, are you with someone, Perks? How did you meet them?

Daughter of Faulkner

Always a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mysite.verizon.net
Some authors / artists marry

their agents, editors, producers, publishers AND other writers and go on to have very happy lives working as a team. I have seen this time and time again and it seems to work beautifully unless one has a HUGE ego when the other is getting all the attention.

Then, others marry exact opposites. Whatever works, huh?!

Keep writing!

:e2BIC:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
badducky said:
The worst thing about me -- per my public profile -- is that I require a swimming pool of caffiene to function in society.

So, are you with someone, Perks? How did you meet them?
Before I realized I wanted to write. The old bait-and-switch. Hmmm. I guess I see your point.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I've been married, like, forever to a guy I met in university, before I decided that fiction writing would be my passion. He's my opposite: an engineer (huh?). And, in order to maintain this marriage thingie, I have to work at a job I hate: Tech Writing. Ah, the sacrifices we must make.

What do you enjoy doing? Tennis, hiking, swimming, what? Join a club for *insert interest here* and meet like-minded people. Take a course, or several, in support of your hobby, whatever that might be. Good luck. Life mates don't simply fall into one's lap.

badducky

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
I tried the engineer in college thing. Didn't work out.
Incidentally, I would have KILLED SOMEONE to join the Society for Women Engineers... I hate that male engineers can join but the rest of us can't!

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
My ex-wife was an accountant. We went to college together and lived a happy life for nearly twenty years. Times and people change, so I am and have remained single for seven years. My choice is to be alone -- not because I am fat/ugly/poor but because I did my relationship with such gusto I don't have the energy or desire to go through that again.

Besides, all this freetime gives me the opportunity to writer, travel, and not worry about a companion.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
My better half is a programmer. We both have the same intensity in what we do. It works for us.

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
Hi badducky.
smile.gif
I know people always say things like "it'll happen when you least expect it" -- but sometimes, it doesn't hurt to help it along a little.

Here is a thread about how people on AW met their significant other:
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25534&highlight=meet+significant

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
There is a quote from a famous writer, who said that a writer should find and marry a wealthy woman.

In more contemporary times, you might try for a particular market. Are you in your 40s, or 30s or 20s? This makes a difference in terms of your potential mate demographics.

Older (western) writers are likely to find single, divorced women in their 30s, and who likely have a child, and are of some if not full means. If you're a character of savory habits, but limited means, there is an improved probability that this type of woman will be willing to make a compromise. Age and experience has generally made them more practical and less air-headed about their 'list' of potential mate characteristics. (And women everywhere always have a 'list', and usually a long one).

You might have to lift your game a bit. Excessive coffee drinking is no good for the health or your demeanor it seems. Are you fit and healthy? Not overweight? Though, if you are an older writer, living in the US, based on the current US population figures as regards weight, there is a very good chance that you are overweight. Younger US women are less likely to be accepting of this factor.

If you're fit, healthy, not overweight, not shabby in presentation, then you might start hanging out at gallery openings and exhibitions. Seems a lot of women (older, single divorcees) spend quite a bit of time in the arts field (besides women generally). It takes effort, this mate seeking business. You should have numerous possibilities as to how to obtain your objective, and as a writer, it need not cost an arm and leg.

One of the things I would suggest you do is go and read some of the hundreds of books written by women for women on how to get a mate. No, really. For all our simplicity that equally so intrigues and exasperates women, we men generally have too few avenues or ways to put ourselves out there.Other than the regular tried and true 'male' ways. But, women have been doing it for centuries, and have learned more ways than men.If nothing else, reading about this from a woman's perspective will open your eyes, and perhaps give you an insight of how to do things differently.I would strongly suggest you go to a public library for this material, being in keeping with what I presume are your limited means.

Being a writer of limited means is not looked upon so kindly in numerous countries - you're a bit behind the eight ball already. A little change in the packaging and presentation, and repositioning, might both be necessary and work wonders.

Good luck!

ATP

ETA: The alternative, the so-called masculine way, is to learn to 'just get on with life', and 'take it on the chin', and not worry so much about one's independence. This might be a good thing, learning to live within one's own skin, as one is. It takes time, but it can make for a surer character. And certainly, it can help in putting out the correct vibe. As a friend, more successful with the ladies than me, once said, women can 'smell' your loneliness and/or desperation. There is a grain of truth to this. Women also experience this, but they are generally better at disguising it.

Last edited:

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
Cat Scratch said:
You say writer like it's a bad thing?

Try my route--marry a musician.

I agree, I married a bass player. Mellow to the core. I don't bother him when he is (ummm) composing and he gives me plenty of space and time to myself. Met him at a friends wedding party. He was in the band.;)

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
Find someone with an equally nuerotic time-consuming habit. Worked for me. I married an engineer-turned model-airplane designer. My house is covered in blue foam more often than not, but as long as I can ignore the engine noises, I can write all I want.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
How about the racetrack? It's a long shot at best, so why not try for the trifecta?

badducky

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
ATP said:
There is a quote from a famous writer, who said that a writer should find and marry a wealthy woman.

In more contemporary times, you might try for a particular market. Are you in your 40s, or 30s or 20s? This makes a difference in terms of your potential mate demographics.

Being a writer of limited means is not looked upon so kindly in numerous countries - you're a bit behind the eight ball already. A little change in the packaging and presentation, and repositioning, might both be necessary and work wonders.

Good luck!

ATP

Oh, I'm a total catch.

I'm in great shape now that I'm not sitting around Europe in the middle of winter. I speak one-and-a-half languages. I play three musical instruments.

I'm only 26. I am actually succeeding at writing, despite my age, with one novel sale, multiple fiction and poetry publications, and a great literary agent.

I just finished my second novel, and I'm writing my third. (At least I should be... Um, I will be as soon as I'm done here.)

Anyway, I don't get it. I blame the city. I live in the kind of town where evolution is still open for debate, and there are more churches than restaurants.

It's scary.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
by reading your blog, I can suggest meeting girls at your church;
if you like religious girls.

You have a funny wit about you, that's a definite plus. You don't smoke, that's a definite plus.

You are college educated, another plus (definitely.)

As far as how I met my husband, I met him at work..........about ...........20 years ago (I'm 42, he's 41.)

But we didn't start dating for almost 10 years.

Even working with hundreds of people, finding someone you like enough to date is hard. VERY HARD.

Sometime, I'm gonna write a book about all the losers I dated in my lifetime. The problem is: my husband will want to read it and there's no way I want him to.

So - write everything you want now, before you meet your future wife.

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
ATP said:

Bingo. I knew if I was patient enough I would come across some good advice.

Step 1 - Find the wealthy women. To begin with, I'm going to...I've got nothing.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
badducky said:
I blame the city. I live in the kind of town where evolution is still open for debate, and there are more churches than restaurants.
If you need an intellectual companion for a mate, you're better off living near a university. Second best: "meet" someone at a distance (Internet?), and later one of you moves to the other's location, or both of you move to a new location.

Status
Not open for further replies.