Stopping for the school bus

When do you stop for the school bus?

• If I can see the flashing lights, they're meant for me. I always stop.

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Let common sense reign. I would probably not stop in that situation.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • It's a jungle out there, baby. Or more like a game of Frogger.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I am going to go find what our local regulation is, but this question is about how, in practice, you'd react to the situation if you didn't know what the rule was (as it seems me and most of my neighbors don't.)

I live off of a two-lane road (one lane in each direction) that connects to a five-lane road (two lanes in each direction with an extra wide turn lane running down the middle.)

On the two-lane road, obviously, all traffic stops in both directions when the school bus slows down and turns on all the flashy stuff. Easy peasy.

But it's chaos on the five-lane road. Of course, everyone stops behind the bus when they're going in the same direction. But because the bus is two or three lanes away when it's on the far side of a very wide road, nobody seems confident as to whether the flashy stuff is meant for them way over there.

So some people stop, most people don't, and then there are the ones who can't commit either way and just slow down to a crawl to the danger of both the stopped and the unstopped.

It's readily apparent that the bus doesn't pick up children from the far side of a five-lane main road, so given the number of fender benders on the morning commute on that road, I don't think it's the kiddies who are in danger. What a mess!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here, you're supposed to stop, even if it's a five-lane highway.

There is a section of highway near me that is an accident waiting to happen. The buses stop at a low point (dip) on a five-lane highway. People come over the rise and all of a sudden see a school bus with a flashing light. There is barely time to react. People slam on their brakes, which often comes as a surprise to the people behind them who haven't seen the bus yet.

Last edited:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
There's a spot kind of like that here on this road I'm talking about, too. I have to say that the speed limits in Asheville are really not just a suggestion. With all the curves and hills on these mountain roads, you shouldn't go much faster than the posted speed . They've been calculated pretty fairly in most all spots.

But "shouldn't" isn't the deterrent it could be.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
It's always been my understanding that unless there's a physical divider between the lanes, both directions are supposed to stop for school buses, and pull over and stop for emergency vehicles, no matter how wide the street may be.

We have the same setup on a road near our house, and I always stop if I'm dumb enough to try and drive down that street before school.

Last edited:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Yeah, I think the confusion here is the turn lane. In some places it's a concrete median strip, but then the rest of the lane is open.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's the way it is here; if there is no median you are supposed to stop.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
We have the same setup on a road near our house, and I always stop if I'm dumb enough to try and drive down that street before school.

I've got no choice. I'm driving to the school. There are so many accidents on that road. I think the school bus thing is just one of the booby traps.

It's weird. It's a wide, smooth, well-signed road and so many people get it wrong. I think the trouble is with the lay of the land here. It just isn't very forgiving of aggressive driving.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, it's the same here; I just looked it up, and Texas law states all traffic must stop on both roadways unless there is a barrier or other impediment to vehicular traffic (such as a median), and the law is specific in stating that a left-turn lane such as you describe is not considered a barrier.

I've seen people almost rear-end cars stopped in the lane immediately to the left of a stopped school bus. o_O

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Ah, here is it. Here in NC, the turn lane is considered a divider. So, the non-stoppers are correct here. Intuitively, on this particular road, it doesn't feel like it makes sense to stop. But intuition is not the last word in traffic management, for sure.

(c) Notwithstanding subsection (a) of this section, the driver of a vehicle traveling in the opposite direction from the school bus, upon any road, highway or city street that has been divided into two roadways, so constructed as to separate vehicular traffic between the two roadways by an intervening space (including a center lane for left turns if the roadway consists of at least four more lanes) or by a physical barrier, need not stop upon meeting and passing any school bus that has stopped in the roadway across the dividing space or physical barrier.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here in AZ the turn lane does not count as a barrier. If the bus is stopped, you stop.

MM

paulcosca

The Paulest of all Coscas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paulcosca.com
I was a driving instructor in Illinois, so I can only really speak to that.

If there are four lanes, with a large lane or divider in the middle, only traffic travelling in the same direction as the school bus would be required to stop.

Bus routes are set up so that children never have to cross more than two lanes in the road to reach their stop. In some districts, they are set up so that children don't cross any roads at all. Because of that, it is presumed that children will never be crossing across such a road.