A Nice... Problem?

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
So, a weird thing happened. Not sure how to handle it. Any advice much appreciated.

I'm based in the UK (salutes you all with a cup of tea), and represented by a small UK agency. I'm happy with them, too. My literary novel is on sub right now to UK publishers (wipes sweat from brow after just thinking about it) and it's getting on the right desks.

Last night, an editor that published a short story of mine wrote to me saying a US agent had contacted her about my story, and asked her to ask me to get in touch with the agency.

I looked this agent up. I think he's kind of a big New York deal. Possibly really big. Much bigger than my lovely little UK agency for sure.

So what is the etiquette here? I'm under contract with my current agency, and they have their own foreign rights people. And, I'm happy with them for now (although no sales yet; we're early in the process). Plus the US agent seems to have a fondness for crime-type stories, and the story of mine he liked is one of my few crime stories (although it was on the literary side).

Obviously opportunities like this rarely come up in the writing game (or at least they don't come up for me often), and I don't want to just ignore the big agent. Realistically though, there's nothing I can do. Should I even send an email to him?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
There's no harm in writing a thank-you note saying that you'd heard the compliment. Tell them you're agented (you can't hide it) but if circumstances ever changed and you had a crime story to tell, you would love to the chance to sub to him.

In all fairness, your current agency has spent many person-hours already on your current novel, so give them the chance to recoup some money. See how the novel goes (many small-time agents are only a deal or a blockbuster away from being huge, I guess). If things don't work out, you can always get back to the US guy with a "remember me?"

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
There's nothing to stop you finding out what the US agency wants. They might not be about to offer you representation, it could be that they need to talk to you about something else. Send them an email. Perhaps copy your agent in on it.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys, helpful as always. I should have been clearer, the agent definitely is "interested", I know that much. I doubt he'd offer representation based solely on a short though. do some folk have US and UK agents simultaneously?

InkStainedWench

It's a dirty job, but...
Registered
Reaction score
Not quite clear on what the US agent wants. Does he want to poach your literary novel? Turn your published short story into something bigger? Represent your future work?

As Old Hack says, it wouldn't hurt to find out as long as you're up front abut it.

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
Coincidentally, I just had a short story come out in a literary journal here in the states, and a NY agent recently emailed me inquiring about whether I had representation. If you'd like to PM me, we can see if it's the same person. (Because I know a little about this agent.) I'm in the same position: love my agent and she's working hard with me on my novel.

Congrats on the interest. What a wonderful compliment in any case. :)

Witch_turtle

hanging around for a spell
Registered
Reaction score
Coincidentally, I just had a short story come out in a literary journal here in the states, and a NY agent recently emailed me inquiring about whether I had representation. *snip*

Wow, I had no idea this was a thing that even happened. More motivation to publish short stories, I guess! :D

PD, I'd second Treehouse and Old Hack's advice. I'd certainly want to find out what the US agent had to say. This could be an opportunity for a positive connection which might not necessarily be useful to you at this point in your life/career but which might come back around to benefit you in the future. Never know. IMO it's always good to have contacts.

Good luck and congrats on the nice compliment, at any rate :)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Talk to the New York agent. You can always say no after hearing what he has to say, but you may also find he's offering a key to the vault.

There is nothing at all wrong with leaving one agent for another, if it makes good business sense. Your contract should have an out, be it with a thrity or sixty day notice. If not, make sure your next contract does.

You don't have to make a commitment just because you talk to the New York agent, but I think not talking to him would be a big mistake.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Just chiming in to say, it never hurts to see what they're after. I had an inquiry on film rights to a short story which meant my agent talking to a different agent. It's not always a situation where you have to say "No thanks." And, when in doubt, reply to the email with a polite "Thank you for your interest. I'm currently represented by <Very Cool Literary Agent>. If you have any questions about the rights to my work you can contact him/her at <Contact Information>."

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with having multiple agents that represent different things, especially in the situation described where you have agents in different countries...

But, once you hear from the US agent, you need to talk to your UK agent and find out how they feel and if they want to get on board. Lots of US agents work with agents in other countries...