Bad Grammar in Public Places

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat Scratch

The Peacock Next Door
Registered
Reaction score
I thought it'd be fun to have a thread where we list typos, errors, and other grammatical mistakes we see in print.

For instance, yesterday I was watching Lost and they put "you're" instead of "your" in the subtitles when the dialogue they were translating definitely called for possessive. The character was saying something like "Is that your baby?" but it read "Is that you're baby?"

A million-dollar show; could they not afford an editor?

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
On my MSN Messenger dialog box, the following ad appeared:

It is illegal to visit any country with a criminal record.

Now, I don’t know about you, but I don’t know of any entire countries with a criminal record. And how am I supposed to know for sure before I visit a country whether it has a criminal record? I don’t want to break the law.

Oh dear, I might never travel again (not that I have the money to travel anyway…).

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I notice it in newspapers all the time, and it drives me insane. There's one local reporter who consistently mixes up his There, Their, and They'res, and his editor apparently doesn't know the difference either.

My editor and I have a weekly chuckle over it.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I almost ate in the PUBIC area of a restaurant's patio area, but then thought better of it.

Torin

Wandering vaguely
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cebarrett.com
My ex used to publish a tiny local paper, but he's never mastered the difference between "were" and "where". Drove me crazy...still does. I have issues reading emails when he sends them to me.

Cat Scratch

The Peacock Next Door
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen this commercial a few times: a woman is talking about a new drug, and she says: "I'm so glad it gives me a low risk of sexual side effects."

Really? You're glad about that? I'm sure she means that it only gives her a low risk, but that sure isn't what she says.

AmyBA

I'm a believer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amyba.com
Tonight I was driving past a liquor store on a main street in my town and saw a huge sign in the front window that read "RUM'S"-- I almost hit the car in front of me.

Cat Scratch

The Peacock Next Door
Registered
Reaction score
Nearly every menu in my town lists "omelet's." I think one menu did it and they all started copying. And when my town had a street fair people had to buy "scripts" to make purchases. But they meant scrip. I think bad grammar is in the water or something.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yahoo headline: "Woman mauled by mountain lion in fair condition." I hope if I'm ever mauled by a mountain lion, I get one that's been working out.

Cat Scratch

The Peacock Next Door
Registered
Reaction score
I just returned from a Writers' Conference and a presenter messed up your/you're on the white board. And then my eyes started to bleed.

DTNg

Going through the motions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writersrow.com
There used to be a store on Queens Blvd. with a large hand painted sign in the window reading "Italian Lacker Furniture."

It was around the corner from the magazine and lotto shop with "Congratulation to our three lottery winner" in the window.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
The local paper always reports that things were "busted" i.e. The water faucet downtown was busted off. Local police are investigating.

Ahhh...makes me want to strangle someone...can't they find a better word for this? Is "broken" really that hard to spell?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hand-lettered sign in a hardware store, over a basket of plastic key covers. (You slide a different brightly colored and somewhat textured cover over the head of the key so you can quickly identify the key you want.)

CAN'T FIND THE RIGHT KEY?
TRY THESE--WA! LA!​

Okay, voila is French, and not everyone at a hardware store can be expected to know French, but still...

Maryn, who knows no French but knows that word

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
"Ice tea .99 cents"

Also, "Monitored by close circuit TV"

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
'Modern en-suite bedrooms' - That mean they provide huge bathrooms with an attached closet containing a bed?

Cheryll

Registered
Reaction score
Cat Scratch said:
Ah, yes. The restaurant I used to work in offered both ice tea and whip cream.

Don't forget the scramble eggs. ;) I saw that typo this past weekend in a local diner.

Cheryll

Akuma

Rare Writer Pokemon
Registered
Reaction score
It wasn't in print, nor was it grammar, but it was pronunciation, which I suppose can be just as dangerous.

I'll never forget it:
Several months ago I was watching television and a commercial came up, loudly proclaiming great deals on suites. Bedroom suites, professional suites, any relazing and extravagant suite you could think of. The announcer kept saying it over and over, excitedly, just as they usually do.

However, he pronounced suite as "suit" when it should be like "sweet".

I don't know, that's all I got but it cracked me up. How did that get past so many people only for a 16-year-old kid watching tv to notice it?

Oh yeah, and "All gift raping paper for .79 cents" and "Good writtens" are also pretty funny to find.

Last edited:

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Is it?

Home in NZ a few days ago I heard the news on TV3. Two things caught my ears:

The company dealt to the problem...

The rain impacted the fruit harvest in...

This being NZ I could ring the newsroom and complain. I did. The response was that TV3 is part owned by an American company and the two examples I complain about were American usage. Apart from my indignation at having bad American English foisted upon us when we have our own wondrously weird Kiwi English to use instead I did wonder.

I deal cards to people and deal with problems.
As I see it the heavy rain would have an impact upon the fruit harvest.

Are the two examples I heard good grammatical American English or just more mangling?

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
pdr said:
The response was that TV3 is part owned by an American company and the two examples I complain about were American usage.
Oh, right, blame the Americans.

As one of "them," I can tell you that I've never seen "dealt" used that way. Unfortunately, I've seen "impact" as a verb way too many times. It's bureaucratic (government, business) jargon of recent origin.

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
I can overlook almost any bad grammar, but the one thing I can't forgive is when a needlessly big word is used inappropriately, or mispronounced. I mean, simple is best, most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.