'had enough' or 'had enough of'

JadedSidhe

Registered
Reaction score
In a scene I'm writing, I've given a basic description of the protagonist's apartment, essentially spartan with wide open spaces. This leads up to why he prefers this style.

Which sentence is correct?

He'd had enough living in cramped quarters during his stint with the Marines

He'd had enough of living in cramped quarters during his stint with the Marines.

Or is there a better way to say it?

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

He'd had enough of living in cramped quarters during his stint with the Marines.

The better grammar is "enough of"; however, the already colloquial POV of your former serviceman seems fitting enough in the sentence without "of."

A better way to write it? Ha ha ha, you just had to poke that wasp's nest, didn't ya? :popcorn:

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Either could be correct.
I had enough to eat.
I had enough of his foolishness.
etc.
It depends on what you are writing.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
"I've had enough chocolate."
"I've had enough of chocolate."

Two different things. Presumably you mean something like the latter.

JadedSidhe

Registered
Reaction score
The better grammar is "enough of"; however, the already colloquial POV of your former serviceman seems fitting enough in the sentence without "of."

Either could be correct.
I had enough to eat.
etc.

Thank you for the advice :)

A better way to write it? Ha ha ha, you just had to poke that wasp's nest, didn't ya? :popcorn:
Jaded hides her big stick... Umm... Me? No, I wouldn't do that. Well...maybe. Just a little.:2angel:

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
Either.

To my British ears (eyes?), "had enough of" sounds more correct. But "had enough" sounds more like what I'd imagine a US marine to say. Not that I know many US marines.

What writing style are you using for the rest of the piece? As Chase said, the second version is slightly more colloquial. There's nothing wrong with that if the rest of the writing is equally colloquial.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another out-of-context snippet, but nothing wrong with either version.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
"Enough" and "enough of" are quantifiers describing the noun that follows. So, yes, there is a difference; it may seem subtle, but it isn't exactly. There is an implied meaning, and you have to decide which meaning you want to convey to your reader. If it helps, think of "enough of" as the experience of X.

In King Neptune's response, the example "I had enough to eat" implies I am full; I don't need to eat any more. The example "I had enough of his foolishness" implies I am not putting up with it anymore or for all time.

Either could be correct.
I had enough to eat.
etc.

"I've had enough chocolate."
"I've had enough of chocolate."

Two different things. Presumably you mean something like the latter.

In morngnstar's examples: "I've had enough chocolate" implies I need to stop eating chocolate and eat something else for now, or I can't eat any more chocolate right now. The example "I've had enough of chocolate" implies I've had enough of the experience of eating chocolate (and all that entails).

In a scene I'm writing, I've given a basic description of the protagonist's apartment, essentially spartan with wide open spaces. This leads up to why he prefers this style.

Which sentence is correct?

In your examples, the meaning is slightly more subtle. But, as others have said, context is everything. If you wish to convey that he'd had enough living in cramped quarters and he certainly isn't going to do that now, use your first example. If you wish to convey that he has had enough of living in cramped quarters and will never do it again, use your second example as it refers to the experience he intends to never repeat.

Last edited:

guttersquid

I agree with Roxxsmom.
Registered
Reaction score

He'd had enough of life in cramped quarters during his stint with the Marines.

He'd had his fill of living in cramped quarters during his stint with the Marines.

He'd done enough living in cramped quarters during his stint with the Marines.