PDA

View Full Version : Nostalgia Critic = Synopsis Genius?

Tazlima
01-09-2015, 10:11 PM
So the other night I was doing a really boring task and I watched a ton of Nostalgia Critic videos to keep my mind occupied. So I'm sitting there being amused when it hit me. He does a synopsis in every single video and they're terrific!

He does what everyone in QLH strives to do: boiling the story down to the major events, introducing the characters in succinct yet memorable ways to avoid confusing viewers, and keeping it punchy and interesting throughout.

Has anyone else noticed this or am I just overestimating his skills because he has video clips and jokes to make the synopsis more interesting?

Osulagh
01-09-2015, 10:27 PM
I find that it's fairly easy to summarize a story when you're not the creator of it.

It's also a skill, and a lot of the queries you come across in QLH are written by people refining this skill--they will suck because they're learning. Given enough time, you'll learn this skill as well; given that your main job is to entertain, you'll craft things in a entertaining fashion. He's good at what he does because he's done it enough.

Tazlima
01-09-2015, 10:34 PM
a lot of the queries you come across in QLH are written by people refining this skill--they will suck because they're learning.

Eep! I hope my post didn't come across as bashing QLH. I definitely didn't mean it that way.

Osulagh
01-09-2015, 10:57 PM
Eep! I hope my post didn't come across as bashing QLH. I definitely didn't mean it that way.

No, not all. Actually, I'm the one saying people suck! :)

I'm just saying that people trying to learn will suck because that's a part of learning, and those who already know what to do will excel.