When a man has a history of not getting medical help....

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
...and is beginning to go deaf cos of age, how do you talk him into getting his hearing checked?

He is driving me mad at the moment. The TV is too loud. When I speak to him he says 'eh?' When I repeat it, he says 'stop mumbling, I can't hear you.'

But losing his hearing? Of course not! It's everyone else's fault!

I swear, I can't be doing with years of this. I'm gonna end up killing him.....

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
You remember Andy Capp's wife, Flo?

Find your rolling pin and do your best impression.

More seriously, I have no idea. When my Old Man had chest pains/went grey/couldn't breathe (and history of heart problems in his family) it took me, a nurse, his Dad AND his Mum insisting before he'd even get looked at.

Last edited:

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It may be age related, or not. Several of our elderly relatives were experiencing that same thing. It was ear wax. Over here you can buy a kit at the pharmacy (no prescription needed) to help. There is a liquid you dribble into the ear canal and a suction thing for getting it out after the wax softens.

It helped all of them. Of course, they had the age related stuff too, but this was a help.

MM

Rotes

Crazy Opossum Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Do you know of any men who do seek medical help when appropriate?
I mean, seriously.
If you do, I want his number. Just saying.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It was hard to get my guy to get his hearing checked too. I think he genuinely thought it was everyone else so he didn't want to bother with an appointment that he obviously didn't need.

Last edited:

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...and is beginning to go deaf cos of age, how do you talk him into getting his hearing checked?

He is driving me mad at the moment. The TV is too loud. When I speak to him he says 'eh?' When I repeat it, he says 'stop mumbling, I can't hear you.'

But losing his hearing? Of course not! It's everyone else's fault!

I swear, I can't be doing with years of this. I'm gonna end up killing him.....

You make the appointment. Two appointments, in fact. For both of you. Without telling him.

Then you take him out to lunch, then browse the local hardware store for that box of tacks you can't live without, then you take him to the audiologist. And once inside, you inform him that you both are getting your hearing checked. Because, you tell him, maybe it's YOU, and yours is too sensitive, and so you are whispering and mumbling. Only one way to find out.

Once he's inside the clinic, and he sees you are doing it too, and he's got an audience, he's less likely to have a tanty and stomp out.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Do you know of any men who do seek medical help when appropriate?
I mean, seriously.
If you do, I want his number. Just saying.

*hides Mr. Maxwell under a tarp* No. Nope. Can't say I do. Nnnope.

Seriously though, he's better at going to the doctor than I am. I'm the stubborn ass who'll make excuses and stay sick until I'm near dragged to the doctor while he goes as soon as he starts to feel concerned.

Aside from personally dragging him in, Miranda, I can't think of anything aside from wait it out. Us stubborn types, it has to get to a point where we realize it's us and it IS a problem. Hearing's one of the worst because there ARE so many excuses and opportunity for "it's not me, it's everyone else." I hope you can convince him soon, with bloodshed.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Y Because, you tell him, maybe it's YOU, and yours is too sensitive, and so you are whispering and mumbling. Only one way to find out.

Once he's inside the clinic, and he sees you are doing it too, and he's got an audience, he's less likely to have a tanty and stomp out.

Unfortunately, this won't work cos I am a loud person. I mean LOUD. And he knows this having lived with me for years.

And that's how I know he's going deaf cos if he can't hear me.........