PDA

View Full Version : Anyone fluent in Hindi here?

Giant Baby
01-08-2015, 04:45 AM
I have read that the female name "Mandira" is Hindi for "temple". Far less frequently, I've found reference to it also translating to "melody". It's the translation to "melody" that I'm interested in. However, the fact that I find that particular reference occurring so much less frequently makes me wonder if it might be obscure, archaic, awkward, or simply incorrect.

It's for the naming of a character, and I'm hoping to have the character, herself, point out the translation (to the protagonist, whose name is Melody). So, she (and I) will look pretty stupid if the resources I've found were muddled or just plain wrong.

If there are any native or fluent Hindi speakers who could help me out, or point me in the direction of someplace where I might find the answer, I'd be extremely appreciative! :e2flowers

sabindanjoup
01-08-2015, 11:55 AM
I'm not a native speaker of Hindi, but I can read Devnagari.
I looked up a couple of online dictionaries but could not find a single entry that had melody listed as one of the meanings of MandirA. Though, I found a similar looking word, Mandra, a rumbling, bassy sound.
Then, I looked up Melody. Again, no mention of Mandir. The only entry resembling Mandir was Madhur, meaning sweet.
I have a yellowed Bhargav's dictionary on my shelf. It's older than I am.
It lists Madhur as melodious. Mandir is a temple. No mention of MandirA. Mandra is a deep sound.
It also has Mandra listed as a musical instrument.
Anyway, that probably doesn't help much, but it was the best I could do. :)
UPDATE:
Just in case you wanted to change your character's name to Madhur, and you probably know this already, the feminine form of Madhur is Madhuri.

Giant Baby
01-09-2015, 07:51 AM
Thank you, sabindanjoup. Your response is extremely helpful. The connection between the names (Melody and Mandira) made for a nice moment, but nothing that drives the story. I'll miss the line, but not as much as I'd regret getting it wrong!

L M Ashton
01-10-2015, 02:00 PM
My husband, not a native speaker but fluent in Hindi, agrees with sabindanjoup - he knows of no relation between Mandira and Melody. He says Mandir means temple or palace. The female form of Mandir, Mandira, is not used in Hindi to mean a temple, but the name's meaning might mean temple in a name meaning sense, not in a word usage sense.

The husband says that there are several words that are fairly close:

Mandir means temple.
Mantara means chant or spell.
Then Madira means alcohol or some kind of intoxicant.
Madhur or Madhura means sweet, enchanting, or melodious.

Siri Kirpal
01-11-2015, 07:17 AM
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

In Gurmukhi, the Sikh holy language, which is related to Hindi, "Mandir" definitely means "temple." Doesn't mean melody at all, except that temples throughout India are typically placed of music. (As is true of Christian churches, and probably the houses of worship of other religions.)

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Giant Baby
01-11-2015, 09:34 AM
L M Ashton and Siri Kirpal: Thank you both SO much! (And L M, please thank your husband for me!) Your responses, with sabindanjoup's, have given me just what I needed.

I love this area of the board. It's never let me down, not once.
:e2headban