Beards: sexy, Santa Claus, or aggressive patriarchal displays of dominance

Do you think beards are

• Total voters

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
A mild argument over beards erupted in P&CE; I thought this might be a better place for it. And doesn't everyone love a poll?

You may choose more than one option, at least if I can figure out how to post a poll like that, or if, indeed, I can figure out how to post a poll at all. Here goes nothing.

Last edited:

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
A mild argument over beards erupted in P&CE; I thought this might be a better place for it. And doesn't everyone love a poll?

You may choose more than one option, at least if I can figure out how to post a poll like that, or if, indeed, I can figure out how to post a poll at all. Here goes nothing.

Only if we can have Brassieres: sexy, perky, or aggressive matriarchal displays of dominance.

:)

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
If you want me to play you've got to put your whip down.

Fine. I'll put the whip down. I'll be right back.

ETA:

Ah, I feel refweshed.

Last edited:

Hoplite

Return of the Coffee Shield
Registered
Reaction score
I grew a beard once (a goatee). It was over the summer in high school. I did it solely for the purpose of seeing if I could, and to show off to fellow friends. It was gone the first day of classes because I hated how it itched, and I was always sweating underneath it.

Oh, and to intimidate other humans into submission with my manly masculine beard of manliness.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
My husband has a goatee, and I think it's pretty sexy. I can't imagine and haven't seen him without it. I don't like it when he's really lazy, and a beard grows in. He never gets it too long, but it scratches me.

My brother-in-law grew one for the winter and looks like a burly mountain man. Not a bad look on him, but not everyone could pull it off.

My dad also has a goatee, and it looks much better than when he used to only have a mustache.

Other than that...I don't know too many guys with beards, actually.

Honestly, I don't give much thought as to whether or not a beard is sexy. If a man has one, I think it just lends to the "whole."

As for reasons behind them...IDK. I know my BIL grew it for the warmth on his face. I'm guessing my dad and husband grew theirs for looks. Neither one is intimidating.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
It so entirely depends on the beard and the guy.

Viggo Mortensen in Lord of the Rings. Oh, yes, I will take him with that beard. I'll take him either way, actually, but IMO he's more attractive with the beard than without. I dug his shaggy hair in that movie, too. Totally works for him, but not on every man. (Indeed, I usually prefer a man to be more neatly groomed.)

Sometimes beards are cuddly. I personally don't find mid-chest-length fluffy beards sexy, but they can be really cute on some men.

I dislike soul patches, period. Or that stringy beaded beard thing Brad Pitt was doing for a while -- yeah, I wasn't into it.

I once met a guy (a friend of a friend's boyfriend) who had a clean-shaven face, but extremely long, stringy irregular strands of hair growing under his chin. Every woman of his acquaintance told him it was a hideous look and he'd never get a date until he did something about it. But he insisted that any woman who wouldn't date him because of his strange facial hair wasn't worth having, and he was determined to keep the medusa neck beard as a test. I sometimes wonder how that worked out for him. (The mere fact that he had such a ridiculous test was sufficient to rule him out for me.)

Last edited:

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
i'm upset that there isn't any hipster related option in the poll.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
No. I would be embarrassing myself if I were to take up with a hipster.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
In my experience, with the men I've known, it's either can't be arsed to shave anymore so sod it or going for a definite look that takes as much grooming as a clean shave. The first one I understand. As my legs and armpits will bear witness.

The second one.....well... if that's how you roll....

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... a beard is a woman a guy dates or marries to make it seem like he is straight, according to contemporary slang.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
I live in a society where facial hair is a must for many men - orthodox Jews, devout Muslims, for one. And they make up a huge part of the population. Facial hair is common, and I'm grateful for it. I don't like smooth baby skin on a man. Give me a 3 day up to month-old beard :D

I don't like the assumption that beards are a symbol of sexism/patriarchy. To me, a man growing his facial hair is a bit like a woman growing her head hair. Makes them look a bit more "gender-y". Nothing wrong with that.

I picked option 4. Not every beard looks good on every face, though some faces also absolutely need a beard. Except a former friend of mine and his strenuously grown moustache. That thing, with his long-ish, shaggy hair and the huge outdoor jacket, made him look like a serial rapist.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
*strolls in completely hairless and smooth and covered in coconut oil*

I find your body-shaving/coconut oil routine to be an aggressive patriarchal display of male dominance intended to intimidate.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shows of patriarchial dominance are hot. Not that I'd ever do anything but pull such a shower-not-grower to the nearest Cheesecake Factory by his appendage to buy my dinner or anything.

Coconut oil is my boyfriend.

Last edited: