My Agent is Quitting and I'm on Submission

daisywilbur

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm so confused right now. I found an agent, we worked hard together to get my book all polished, she sent out a round of pitches around Thanksgiving, and we've been waiting for feedback. She has another round of pitches ready to go this week or next.

Last night, she told me she's leaving agenting. I don't know the whole story, but it sounds like a personal decision rather than a true desire to leave the business. Regardless, her motivation doesn't change how this is affecting me.

Anyway, she wants to keep me on until we either make a sale for this manuscript or decide to pack 'er in. She gave a tentative deadline of March/April to make a final decision.

Am I stupid to stick with her until then? Do I even WANT her to make a sale for me when I know she won't be around afterwards? How will a new agent react to this?

The fact is, my manuscript is being considered by a fair number of editors right now, and the idea of pulling it from consideration to search for a new agent makes me nauseous. BUT, is not pulling it and sticking with this agent for the next few months a super dumbass move? If it doesn't sell, it's easier to part ways. My mind keeps turning over the hypothetical sale and what would come after for me.

Someone help!??! Words of wisdom and advice??

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
See that would be a big problem for me. If the manuscript sells, she'll have to waive off any subsequent rights that could sell - foreign print rights, film or television rights, special editions, etc. - because she won't be around to negotiate and manage those things. If you don't have that very specifically spelled out, she'll be due her 15% (or whatever her cut is) and you won't have the support expected for that payment.

Also, my agent has been invaluable in the process. I have relied on her throughout the publication process.

I do understand your reluctance to pull the submissions. I think you have to have a frank talk with her about what her expectations are where rights are concerned and how she plans to handle the specifics of what would happen if the manuscript sells on this round of submissions.

Did you have any other offers of representation or nibbles of interest before you signed with her?

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If she's at an agency, are there other agents there who would consider taking your book on?

If not, can she recommend you to anyone else?

As has already been said, if she abandons your book after making just one sale for it, she's not doing her job. And you are very unlikely to find another agent willing to take the same book on for just subsidiary rights sales.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It's a very tricky situation, since she's already pitched the book to those editors. If you leave her for another agent, what happens with those pitches that are out there? Do they stay out there or does she have to pull them? It's unfortunate because either way, there are fewer editors a future agent can pitch to, which makes it harder to get an agent with this book.

If she does sell the book, you probably won't be able to get another agent until you have another book ready. The good news is that the sale of this book will probably help with getting a new agent, but you won't have anyone to represent you for other rights for this book in the meantime.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I think you have to have a frank talk with her about what her expectations are where rights are concerned and how she plans to handle the specifics of what would happen if the manuscript sells on this round of submissions.

This. I think that we, as writers, default to looking at agents as "the boss" in the relationship. It's natural. They (generally) know the business side of things better than we do. But really, it's an equal relationship, and we can't be timid about these sorts of conversations. She stands to earn 15% off your work if it gets picked up. The very least she can do is fully inform you of her vision as the process moves forward.

Good luck. It's an unfortunate position, for sure.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
No matter what, make sure you get a list of those editors. And don't let her sub anymore.

daisywilbur

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. I'm still spinning from the news, but will obviously have to get it together and have that discussion with her. I feel completely in the dark about the business end of things... I have no idea how the author-agent relationship works after a sale.

But I should probably go with my gut... and my gut is telling me that her selling my work at this point is probably not good for me.

I wonder what will happen to those submissions?

:cry:

millymollymo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.millymollymo.com
Do you know where she's subbed to already? If not ask her for a list if you decide to go your own way - then at least you can forwarn the next agent you sign with.
Good luck, and I hope the bad news turns out to be the good news you didn't know you needed.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Thanks, everyone. I'm still spinning from the news, but will obviously have to get it together and have that discussion with her. I feel completely in the dark about the business end of things... I have no idea how the author-agent relationship works after a sale.

But I should probably go with my gut... and my gut is telling me that her selling my work at this point is probably not good for me.

I wonder what will happen to those submissions?

:cry:

Unfortunately, you'll need to either pull those submissions or make sure that your current agent releases all contractual rights, should the current round of submissions result in a sale. See, as the agent on record, she's entitled to whatever the agreed upon percentage of works sold under her efforts, unless she relinquishes that claim. Do you have any idea how many editors have the manuscript from her at the moment? (And definitely tell her not to sub it any more until you figure this out.)

Hang in there. I switched agents in the middle of submissions with my first novel and it worked out just fine. All is not lost. Just don't let her sub it anymore - first order of business! Then get a list of who she's subbed to. This will make all the difference in how to go forward with things.

daisywilbur

Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, you'll need to either pull those submissions or make sure that your current agent releases all contractual rights, should the current round of submissions result in a sale. See, as the agent on record, she's entitled to whatever the agreed upon percentage of works sold under her efforts, unless she relinquishes that claim.

OK, so this is the kind of thing that makes me nervous. I don't know nearly enough about the business side of things to know what this even means. It doesn't seem right that a year or two from now she would be collecting income from a sale when we no longer have a relationship. I understand getting a portion of the initial advance or something, but indefinitely? Which is how the contract reads to me. Which would be fine if we were still working together...

It's out with 16 editors right now, after that first submission round of 18 she sent out. I don't know if that's a lot. It seemed like it to me.

Still :cry:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Agents typically are paid their commission on all the earnings from the deals they make. So if your agent sells this book she'll get a percentage of the advance, and then a percentage of all the royalties the book earns once that advance is earned out.

If the publisher demands all rights to the book and then sells any of those rights on, she will also be paid her percentage of all monies you are paid from those deals.

daisywilbur

Registered
Reaction score
Did you have any other offers of representation or nibbles of interest before you signed with her?

I had an offer from a small press, but for another story. We decided to work on this manuscript because it's stronger. I never queried this particular work, so no, I have no gauge for other interest.

The thing is, she's letting most, if not all, of her other clients go. To me, this means she's confident it will sell. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing anymore.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
The thing is, she's letting most, if not all, of her other clients go. To me, this means she's confident it will sell. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing anymore.

If she's quitting the business imminently, I can't see how it could work out to a good thing. 18 submissions is kind of a lot.

Keep us posted on the talks you have with her and get stuff in writing.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It's 18 + 16, if I'm reading this right, which is really a lot. And...kinda makes me question how good she is at targeting the right editors.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Would you mind letting us know who this agent is? If you'd rather not say in public you're welcome to let me know via PM, in confidence of course.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
It's 18 + 16, if I'm reading this right, which is really a lot. And...kinda makes me question how good she is at targeting the right editors.

And if that's the case, it could be good news if she hit the wrong ones.

daisywilbur

Registered
Reaction score
No, it was that she sent out a blitz of 18 pitches and got 17 requests for the manuscript (we've had one rejection so far). So it's still out with 16. It's only gone one round, albeit a big one.

And her push to get these out by Thanksgiving (which was only 7 weeks ago) makes the pessimist in me wonder about her timing, and when she got news the agency was closing. It sounds very much like this was a sudden thing, but I don't know.

I don't mind divulging who the agent is, but I don't know if anything has been formally announced yet. I'll let you know when someone else spills the beans, but I'd hate for another client of hers to find out HERE that this is happening...

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Send me a PM; please. I won't tell anyone who it is, but knowing who it is might well colour the advice that I can give you.

I'm getting worried by what you've told us, and I'm concerned that you're in the hands of a dodgy agent.

For the record, I've worked in publishing for (OMG) thirty years, and have written a few books, too. I've seen far too many dodgy agents in that time.

daisywilbur

Registered
Reaction score
There's nothing in the contract that says anything about this scenario. It's in effect for 1 year (from last October), but can be terminated earlier "if all possibilities for selling the work have been exhausted." I suppose the agent leaving and the agency closing effectively apply there, but if she wants to keep me, I might be held to the contract??

I'm getting more upset the longer I think about this. I noticed on QueryTracker that she closed to queries and was not accepting new agents in November... about when we went out on sub.

Moonchild

I write fluff and that's OK.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh man, what a horribly frustrating and upsetting situation! I'm so sorry to hear you're going through it! :Hug2:

Others with more knowledge and experience have already weighed in with what seems to me very sound advice and clarifications of what this agent would be entitled to if you decide to stick with her and your book sells.

Given the situation, what appear to be her expectations or assumptions, and the fact that she subbed to so friggin' many pubs in one batch, the whole thing really does give me pause. The way I see it is, she probably thinks your book will sell (which is good) and so, even though she's quitting agenting, she'd like to still have a chance to get a piece of the pie... which is not so good... Also, unfair. I mean... Is she quitting-QUITTING? Or will she continue to handle rights or something on her own? Because, maybe I'm being unfair and/or ignorant/naive, but if she's really getting out of the biz altogether, and will therefore effectively stop being your representative/advocate, I don't see why she should reap any future benefits from work she won't do.

I really think you need to have a very frank discussion with her about this and/or with the head of the agency (unless that's her too!). I don't know about the legal stuff and how binding such a contract would be given the circumstances, but I really do agree with others that you need to get a clear picture of her expectations and what--if anything--does she propose to do for you in the long-term.

tl;dr: I saw an announcement today on Publisher's Lunch, so I have a strong suspicion of who this person might be. If you feel comfortable doing so, I wouldn't mind getting confirmation of her identity via PM (I'm in the middle of querying and I like to keep tabs on agents). If you don't feel comfortable sharing the info, that's cool too.

Best of luck, though! I really am sorry you are going through this crap! :cry:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Agents typically are paid their commission on all the earnings from the deals they make. So if your agent sells this book she'll get a percentage of the advance, and then a percentage of all the royalties the book earns once that advance is earned out.

If the publisher demands all rights to the book and then sells any of those rights on, she will also be paid her percentage of all monies you are paid from those deals.

The publisher can demand whatever it likes, but NO agent worth having will ever give in to such rights. I doubt very much any reputable publisher would demand all rights. I've never known it to happen, and I'd laugh at them if they did. So would my agent.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I'd ask her to pull everything from submission, with an explanation to the editors for why she's doing so.