PDA

View Full Version : Injury to lose an arm

sk3erkrou
01-07-2015, 07:24 PM
In my WIP, I need my MC to lose his arm, preferably from around the elbow down. What are some injuries that would cause this? It is possible that the injury does not remove the arm, but necessitates amputation later on. If it helps, he is currently in the trailer of a semi truck with the rear door open.
Thank you in advance.

Trebor1415
01-07-2015, 09:36 PM
Some sort of crushing injury from an accident would work. That could set up a scenario where they try, and ultimately fail, to save the arm with surgery, etc. That could run for quite awhile if you want. (Multiple surgeries, but they can't overcome initial nerve damage or infection sets in, etc).

There's also the "accident so bad the arm was torn off at the time" scenario. The only problem with that one is someone would have to apply a torniquet quick enough to keep him from bleeding to death.

Personally, I'd go with the bad crushing injury. You can then decide at what point they decide the arm is unsalvageable based on what you need for the story.

As to details of the accident, use your imagination. Hit by another vehicle. Somehow the semi truck door slams down on it and causes an injury which is worse than it looks (comprartment syndrome perhaps) and a resulting infection or other complications result in amputation.

Sometimes the most trivial looking accidents can have that kind of consequence if "everything goes wrong" for the guy.

Michael Davis
01-07-2015, 10:00 PM
A simple cut, if untreated, can turn to sepsis and cause arm lose, even death. Several years ago a young girl scraped her arm rafting and lost arm to invasion. Tragedy hit mainstream media

Darron
01-08-2015, 10:27 AM
Fire is another option and can piggyback on the potential for multiple surgeries, a friend of mine was in a car accident a few years back and his arm and legs were burned to the point the bones were fused together. If you could make a fire happen and have him trapped (my friend was knocked out from the crash) he could be burned as high up the arm as you want.

For my friend they tried over 10 surgeries to graft skin back on, but for his arm they ended up taking the hand off and two inches below his wrist.

Kitsune
01-26-2015, 09:45 AM
Fire would be one option. Not just because of bad burns but burns have an annoying habit of getting infected and it's harder for victims of severe burns to fight off infections then regularly sick people.

Also crush injuries can mean amputation.

In some cases, extensive surgery (of surgery performed wrong or with complications) can result in a thickening of the nerve tissue called a neuroma.

Severe infection that resists antibiotics can result in amputation.

Ravioli
01-26-2015, 12:56 PM
Even a cat bite in the finger can lose you an arm if you let it get infected and don't do anything about it till it spreads all the way up there. So, anything. Strictly anything.

Thewitt
01-26-2015, 01:13 PM
I like the crushing option.... Perhaps the cargo in the truck falls, knocking him out of the truck and it falls on top of him, crushing his forearm...

mccardey
01-26-2015, 01:19 PM
In my WIP, I need my MC to lose his arm, preferably from around the elbow down. What are some injuries that would cause this? It is possible that the injury does not remove the arm, but necessitates amputation later on. If it helps, he is currently in the trailer of a semi truck with the rear door open.
Thank you in advance.

Almost anything, if you're in Australia. Crocodiles. Koalas can be vicious...

WeaselFire
01-26-2015, 10:24 PM
In my WIP, I need my MC to lose his arm, preferably from around the elbow down. What are some injuries that would cause this?

Oops! The chainsaw slipped.
Damn sharks!
Machete Fight!
Didn't your momma tell you not to stick your arm out in traffic?
Wood chippers can be dangerous...
Look out for that grenade!
Mom... I think the dragon bit my arm off...
You know, that plane has a starter, you didn't need to crank the prop yourself.
Watch out for the acid...
Never arm wrestle a Navy Seal.
Where the heck did you find a flame thrower?
Don't try to clear a jam while the mower is running.
Honest Doc, I was just sleeping next to the train track and woke up missing my arm.
Why would you trust a knife thrower with a blindfold?
Zombies?
You should have let the grizzly have the salmon...
Wait! Don't shut the door... Ow.

Seriously? If you can't think of a way to lose an arm you really lack imagination.

Jeff

ULTRAGOTHA
01-26-2015, 11:50 PM
Even a minor injury can do it. (http://www.today.com/health/reporter-miles-obrien-losing-arm-after-accident-mind-boggling-2D79356546)

PBS correspondent Miles O'Brien has spent his career reporting on scientific breakthroughs.

Now, he'll be a participant in them.

O’Brien lost much of his left arm after a seemingly minor injury suddenly put his life in jeopardy.

cmhbob
01-27-2015, 02:47 AM
I know a guy who fell about five feet from a ladder into soft earth, and ended up crushing the bones in his feet so badly he lost his lower leg. So it was broken bones, but the direction of the break (parallel to the bone) was the big issue.

Tinman
01-27-2015, 03:21 AM
True story. I nearly lost my arm in a trucking accident. Something about one of the tires on the drive axle didn't look right; I thought maybe a bubble had formed, so I reached between the tires to feel the spot. The tire chose that exact moment to explode. Caught between the good tire and the exploding tire, my arm was crushed. Eventually (about 24 hours later, if my memory is correct), surgeons had to slice my flesh open from the palm of my hand to the inner elbow joint, and on the top of the forearm from thumb to elbow. They did this to relieve the pressure from excessive swelling.

Of course, it could be crushed by any number of things.

Good Luck!!