Unsophisticated Taste?

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but I just polished off a Godiva chocolate bar with almonds that was given to me in a gift basket (for Christmas)...

It was ok, but IMHO, no better than my favorite Hershey's with Almonds. :Shrug:

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, those are nothing special. They're often sold before you leave the shop and have likely been sitting there for days.

The good Godiva ones are the truffles...they're murderously good...

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
i'm a dark chocolate fiend.

*checks reps*

no. i'm talking about food this time.

*checks reps*

srsly, lavern. i'm like totally taken!

*makes the "call me" sign*

ahem.
what? oh yeah,...chocolate.
i think godiva is a bit overrated. it's not the best out there but it's also not the worst. i'm working on a 72% harry and david dark chocolate bar now and it's really not great at all.

i'm not a fan of hershey's though.

M.S. Wiggins

"The Moving Finger writes..."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Holy Hell! I got one, too. Mine is dark chocolate, though, 72% cacao. I don't have a sweet tooth, so when it comes to chocolate I prefer the dark stuff. Less sweet, less sugary. I was the annoying kid who would sneak the semi-sweet/baker's chocolate out of the cabinet.

M.S. Wiggins

"The Moving Finger writes..."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently, cray and I are related. Excellent. Cray's the one who ate the chocolate.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It's not that you have unsophisticated taste; it's that Godiva isn't much better than Hershey's, heh.

Even your basic British shelf chocolate is better than both, usually, and superiour chocolate is superiour.

If you couldn't tell the difference between a Cadbury milk bar (not one made in the U.S.), and a Hershey bar, or between Callebaut and Godiva, then worry you've an unsophisticated palate. ;)

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
like others here have said, you really can't categorize yourself as "unsophisticated" until you've sampled other brands than just Godiva. try the ones that have been suggested here along with others your local shop has to offer. besides the commercial brands there are also chocolate shops and online outlets of course. try at least a dozen of the "ritzier" varieties and if you still prefer Hershey's then you have gained the right to call yourself "unsophisticated," not to say we will lurve you any less ;-)

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
i'm a dark chocolate fiend.

Well, there you have it. We have something else in common.

Dark chocolate! Yes!!!

I don't think we even have Hersheys here. But we do have (the British) Cadbury's. Awesome stuff.

Dang. Now I'm craving chocolate. Thanks a lot, Lavern!!

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Dark chocolate is da best.

Cadbury makes Caramilk bars, which is one of the few "cheap" chocolate bars that I can stand. I've become a chocolate snob.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Has anyone here had See's chocolates? I think they may be limited to Southern California, but they've always been head and shoulders above Godiva to me.

I do not claim to have a sophisticated palate. Hershey's is just fine with me. Especially with almonds. :D

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
I'm biased. I had uncles who drove trucks for Pepperidge Farm, which is under the same company that owns Godiva. Growing up, before Christmas, my mom would go to the Pepperidge factory store and get 2 lb. bags of Govivas for four bucks apiece. I love the coconut pyramids and the square caramels the best, but the truffles are awesome too.

She sent me a box of Godivas this Christmas, and they are halfway gone already.

Ona Mission

A Bit Squirrelly
Registered
Reaction score
Website
onanewmission.wordpress.com
My mom always got my great grandpa a nice tier box of Godiva for the holidays. She'd treat me and my sibs to a really good box each year, too. We rarely got candy, but when we did it was the good stuff. Liked it back then. Not sure if anyone remembers this, but Bill Blass (yes, the fashion designer) dabbled in candy back in the 80s. I got a box of his truffles one year and gagged. I hated them so much it turned me off of chocolate for years. Shame I can't find them now so I can be turned off of it again.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
I did get an awesome box of chocolates from Dayton, Ohio this year, but threw away the box after I ate half and shared the rest with co-workers. It was a company started by a little old lady. If anyone knows the confections I am talking about, please tell me the name! I threw the box out weeks ago.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I don't eat any chocolate that hasn't come with a certificate of fairtrade, organic authenticity for each individual cocoa bean.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone here had See's chocolates? I think they may be limited to Southern California, but they've always been head and shoulders above Godiva to me.

I do not claim to have a sophisticated palate. Hershey's is just fine with me. Especially with almonds. :D
I consider See's the most overrated out of them all. Godiva doesn't taste too special, although it does a little, but at least it looks expensive, more hand crafted. See's looks cheap and too mass produced to be warranting those prices.

The best chocolate I've had was some French ones. MMmm... Although I will add that I don't really eat much chocolate to begin with, so it's not like there's a huge list to compare with. But I usually get my fill after a few bites, but I didn't want to stop eating those French ones. I only forced myself to stop so I'd have some for later.

Last edited:

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I don't eat any chocolate that hasn't come with a certificate of fairtrade, organic authenticity for each individual cocoa bean.
I'lltakeanychocolateyoudon'twant. **drooool**

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Buying choco on sale after a holiday is something I've gotten into. Got a Lindt milk choco bear, marked down to 1.99 from 4.99, it was *very* good. Got a box of Russell Stover candies, marked way way down because the plastic wrap had been torn though the box was unopened. They tasted like there was bleach in the mix.

I used to like See's. I also used to live near a very small chocolatier shop, Mac something or other, I would buy little boxes in there as gifts. Yummy stuff.

I have NO chocolate in the house at the moment, other than a jar of Nutella, which just doesn't really do it.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
The only chocolates I really indulge in are Belgian chocolates my boss brings back from his business trips to Brussels...and Lindor at Christmas time. Yum.

Although, I also like buying the dark chocolate Dove Promises to suck on every now and then. :D

Or maybe I should say I let them melt in my mouth rather than...suck...on them. Considering my audience.