PDA

View Full Version : So Impressed With Teen Booktubers! Giants of the Publishing Industry!

KTC
01-06-2015, 05:39 AM
I firmly believe that teen booktubers are the ones with the most clout in the publishing industry these days! They are an army onto themselves... And when they speak people listen... Not just reader friends, either. Publishers, booksellers, everyone. They are a new pulse in the industry which cannot be ignored.

Thought I'd start a thread to hear what others think. My reading choices these days come from intelligent thought-provoking YouTube videos posted by teens. I am so impressed.

Thoughts? (-:

Filigree
01-06-2015, 05:44 AM
I'm rarely on YouTube. Do you have links to ones you find especially noteworthy? Do they seem to be reading beyond the YA markets?

juniper
01-06-2015, 05:55 AM
My reading choices these days come from intelligent thought-provoking YouTube videos posted by teens. I am so impressed.

Thoughts? (-:

Um, what's a booktuber? I am out of touch ... again ...

Book reviews on YouTube? Linky to some you like?

KTC
01-06-2015, 06:03 AM
I have many favourites. Jessethereader stands out. Benjaminoftomes. Boysreadbooks. I should say young adults as opposed to teen... Because some of them I have been watching since they were teens but they're now in their twenties. I just love listening to what they have to say.

Surely I'm not the only one.

Yes... Booktubers are YouTube book reviewers/book lovers.

Osulagh
01-06-2015, 06:03 AM
Er... yeah, I'm pretty in tune with Youtube and haven't come across what you're talking about. I've seen some people suggest certain books (aside from their normal content), but no teens having such a strong influence on the publishing industry through their videos on youtube--hell, giant reviewers on youtube barely have pull on any industry, even when that industry specifically asks them for input.

Edit for cross post: Oh, well, haven't seen any of these peeps... or anyone they are affiliated with, or anything regarding them. Probably youtube's recommendation system working against me and for you, KTC.

KTC
01-06-2015, 06:05 AM
Er... yeah, I'm pretty in tune with Youtube and haven't come across what you're talking about. I've seen some people suggest certain books (aside from their normal content), but no teens having such a strong influence on the publishing industry through their videos on youtube--hell, giant reviewers on youtube barely have pull on any industry, even when that industry specifically asks them for input.

Teen Booktubers OWN YouTube. They get hundreds of thousands of hits.

KTC
01-06-2015, 06:07 AM
Here's one... I believe she's in her twenties...

My Top 10 Books of 2014.: http://youtu.be/WHGALb-OV7A

KTC
01-06-2015, 06:18 AM
2014 Wrap Up & 2015 Goals: http://youtu.be/qlY8fdG-2rw

Osulagh
01-06-2015, 06:24 AM

...no... just no, sorry, no. I know you're being very enthusiastic, but youtube is vast. The people who "own" youtube are gamers and the music industry as they hold the most subscribers and views throughout the site. Past that there's sketch comedy, vloggers, product unboxing and reviews and such--I guess you'd mix book reviews with product reviews, but then they would be greatly overshadowed by the tech industry.

It might seem that way because Google personalizes your video feed to enforce you to watch videos that you're more likely to click through--like book reviews from teens because you've watched more ads I mean, book reviews from teens from similar videos. Facebook, twitter, and other sites do this as well.

Most of what I've seen after you named a few are a good group of people hovering over 50K subs and a few rare ones over 100K. Those aren't bad whatsoever, and if you think that youtube has a better subscription service that could broadcast book reviews in a good manner, it seems like a great setup. I'll have to take a good look around--I do like me some top yearly lists.

KTC
01-06-2015, 06:35 AM
Wow. Literal much. Jesus.

Justin K
01-06-2015, 07:28 AM
I'm quite sure a fair amount of booktubers are being compensated to offer 'reviews', most of which don't actually review the book. From what I've seen, it's a 'this is why I like it' kind of review. Nonetheless, these kids will be the difference between hit and miss soon. And publishers... it seems they're taking on more 'new talent' who coincidently happen to have an existing platform. Zoella to name an example.

blacbird
01-06-2015, 07:49 AM
Wow. Literal much. Jesus.

I know what Wow means. Kind of. And Jesus, too. Kind of.

I don't have a clue what a booktuber is. Maybe a kind of underground vegetative growth leading to the emergence of a book?

caw

jjdebenedictis
01-06-2015, 07:55 AM
Booktubers... I was picturing some sort of book/potato hybrid.

I'm not sure whether I'm relieved or disappointed.

On one hand -- no nightmare-inducing books that have mutated into lumpy, dirty tendril-sprouting, multi-eyed horrors.

On the other, no salty, french-fried novels. Mmm; twice the addictiveness!

Filigree
01-06-2015, 08:31 AM
I like salty, french-fried novels, especially dipped in milk chocolate, no, wait, that's potato chips. Sorry for the derail.

I'm happy you're impressed, KTC. I read some of the comment threads off the videos, and I'm happy to see a mix of strong novels outside of the usual YA magnet books.

But YouTube will try to trick you with your preferences, into presenting more and more of what you only like to see. I have fun with Google whenever I'm doing story research, because YouTube will keep trying to find vids I might like. One week it was men dancing the tango, the next it was Croatian tourist guides.

Eh, booktubing is just another review avenue. Time will tell if it gets completely taken over by corporate-funded reviewers. I'm not really into it, because I have limited time. I can read and comprehend a written book review in a few dozen seconds or less. With a YouTuber, I'm held hostage to the speed and efficiency of their delivery. (Why I read the comments instead of clicking on the smiling face in the camera.) But I am pleased to see their enthusiasm for books.

Kylabelle
01-06-2015, 08:34 AM
I'd never heard of booktubers, so, thanks, Kevin, for the information. It does seem like a natural development and I'm always glad to see shared pleasure in reading books take a new form (countering the notion that books and reading are dying out.)

I don't happen to be someone who enjoys videos -- I watch as little as possible and strongly prefer to take information via text. But, yeah, this is pretty neat.

KTC
01-06-2015, 08:40 AM
I actually search these out. I don't even look at YouTube suggestions. I never have. My search for Booktubers usually begins on a blog level. I pay no attention to anything suggested to me. Never have...

Liosse de Velishaf
01-06-2015, 09:25 AM
I've seen these, and some of these folks are quite good. But I generally prefer blog reviews.

Filigree
01-06-2015, 04:00 PM
Same here. For some reason the vlogger reviews that I've seen tend to be at the 'I love this book and you should, too' level. Which is fine, but I more value meatier reviews that tell me *why* that person loved, hated, or was indifferent to the book. Text seems to fit those discussions a bit better, but that's just me.

I do love me some movie and gamer vlogs, and subscribe to them.

Cathy C
01-06-2015, 04:18 PM
Most readers I know . . . well, read. Even the teens that buy my books read reviews. On Goodreads, on blogs, in magazines. I haven't heard of booktubers, and I follow the YA market pretty close. But then, I don't spend much time on YouTube because I don't have an internet connection that allows much video. :Shrug:

kuwisdelu
01-06-2015, 05:28 PM
I'm not a Youtube viewer, but the idea seems cool.

Have to admit I don't get the point of video reviews.

Oh god maybe I'm getting old.

Amadan
01-06-2015, 05:51 PM
I very much doubt that a bunch of kids on YouTube have significant clout. Or that I'd care much what a bunch of kids on YouTube thinks about books.

I also distrust any reviewer who never reviews anything negatively. A bubbling suffusion of squee means they either have indiscriminate tastes, will not warn you when something sucks, or are shills.

Jamesaritchie
01-06-2015, 06:13 PM
Booktubers have so little clout in the publishing industry that they may as well not exist.

Kylabelle
01-06-2015, 09:44 PM
"Clout"?

Who cares? I don't think that's the point here at all. Some people are enthusiastic about this venue for reviews, and apparently have been directed to some good books this way. Why is that a problem?

As far as clout goes, anyone in this thread might as well not exist, for all the effect that would have on the publishing industry as a whole. So what?

As I said, I don't watch videos any more than I really have to as I don't enjoy that, but I don't feel the need to deride video book reviews for that reason. If in fact they are uniformly positive, that would raise a question, but even so, maybe the reviewers just choose not to give time to books they don't care for.

Meh. Tempest in a teacup, y'all.

Amadan
01-06-2015, 09:51 PM
Oh, I think it's great that kids are doing video book reviews, and I'm sure they generate a lot of enthusiasm among those who follow them.

But, it's a niche hobby, and I think the OP got some raised eyebrows and a bit of skepticism because of the claim that this is some sort of industry-shaking trend.

Sheryl Nantus
01-06-2015, 09:56 PM
I prefer Crash Course and Extra Credits.

Along with the Honest movie reviews.

;)

Lissibith
01-06-2015, 10:38 PM
I normally love watching reviews on YouTube or Blip. But however much I try, I just can't get into book video reviews.

With movies, games, even comics it makes sense because there's a visual element, so there's a purpose to making it a visual review.

But with the book reviews, I never really saw the point of not making it just text. And they were almost never so engaging a speaker that I felt like I'd be missing something if I read it instead of listening. I keep trying new ones, hoping this time... but no.

itsmary
01-06-2015, 10:58 PM
I love Booktube. I've heard about so many new books through it, and YouTube is a great site for those of us with short attention spans and/or people who like visuals. I'd rather listen to a review than read one; I don't like reading too much for too long on the computer because my eyes tend to get tired.

Filigree
01-07-2015, 01:40 AM
Fair enough, and good reasons.

veinglory
01-07-2015, 01:57 AM
Good on them but in the larger scale of the publishing world as a whole 100,000s of hits is not a huge influence. That would be a moderately slow weekend for one of the larger genre-specific blogs (which publishers largely ignore) and there is no way of know whether it translates into any actual sales at all. Maybe a few hundred?

robjvargas
01-07-2015, 02:17 AM
I love Booktube. I've heard about so many new books through it, and YouTube is a great site for those of us with short attention spans and/or people who like visuals. I'd rather listen to a review than read one; I don't like reading too much for too long on the computer because my eyes tend to get tired.

AH! Then you need one of these (http://www.propertyroom.com/l/new-usb-electric-acupuncture-magnet-eye-massage-eyes-brain-sinus-massager-eye-care-massager-/9968987)!

:e2smack:

OK, I'll slink away now.:gone:

Bolero
01-10-2015, 08:24 PM
I followed your link and seriously- what people invent. :D. (Could almost be La Forge's eyepiece from Star Trek.)

Aggy B.
01-10-2015, 09:22 PM

Hmmm. I have a friend with a show on YouTube (a spoof on martial arts training in the US). They published a quickie episode entitled "100 Ways to Attack the Groin" and it hit over a million views in the space of a week.

Lots of views could mean any number of things, but I would argue it doesn't equal clout in the publishing industry.

CrastersBabies
01-10-2015, 10:48 PM
Never heard of them. And the people who own YouTube are the Let's Players. Stampylonghead. Google that and get back to me. :)

(It doesn't help that this is my topic of research in my Ph.D. program.)

All sass aside, I'm glad I know about this. My daughter (who is 7) not only watches Stampy, but she loves things like this. I bet she'd really get a kick out of book reviews by kids. Maybe even create a few herself. Thanks for sharing!

I'd also argue (hardcore) that it does have sway in publishing. I'd invite people who doubt this to research YouTube channels for kids to see what they are watching. There is a huge market there. One of my Ph.D. colleagues is studying YouTube personalities and "Haul" videos. It's insane how popular items get when a YouTuber who gets a solid fanbase reviews a product.

I think it would be negligent to dismiss this so casually.

Some person getting 200 hits per video isn't going to make much of a dent. But 20,000? Yes. 200,000? Yes. More? Yes yes and yes.

Aggy B.
01-11-2015, 03:11 AM
But reviewers are looking at what's currently on the shelves. What they're saying is hot right now, is not really what a publisher will be looking at. They have to consider market saturation and holding/falling numbers and where the NEXT trend will be.

With catalogs already filled 6-12 months out (or more), I don't think a publisher is looking for "OMG! This book is so good. I can't wait for the sequels" because they already have the sequels in the queue.

While a single book in an underrepresented genre/category might indicate a coming trend, seeing that hundreds of thousands of readers are looking at reviews of dozens of dystopian YA books right now won't tell a publisher what to publish in two years. (Except maybe in reverse. The anticipation that the market will have shifted to something else by then.)