Preferred praise and worship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddle Jumper

It seems like there are so many different ways churches do music in their services. I was raised in a church that sang three or four hymns during the service at certain times during a very structured order of events. I now go to a church that starts out by doing pretty much nothing but singing for the first 30-45 minutes. There are churches that sing acapella, use just a piano or organ or both, full orchestra's, rock bands, etc...

So I'm curious, what is your preferred style of music for the worship service?

I really like the way my church does it where we sing straight for 30-45 minutes. It's a smaller band consisting of guitars, piano/keyboard, drums, and singers. It's more contemporary but not heavy, Chris Tomlin kind of music. We sing mostly modern songs but occassionally an old hymn will make its way in. Last weekend we sang "Come Thou Fount" during the singing time.

I'm also rather fond of how we sang at camp when I was a kid, and we only had a keyboard. But that was really modern to me at the time.

HoosierCowgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Our church uses an eclectic style, singing for several minutes at the start of the service.

I enjoy it most when we sing hymns a capella because the church itself and many members came from Mennonite backgrounds and we're good at that :)

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
I was raised Catholic, with a very structured and routine order for readings, music, etc., and every Catholic church I ever attended was exactly the same. The past few years I've attended Lutheran services with my dh, and they are almost exactly like the Catholic.

We just recently attended a Methodist service, and I am really enjoying a service that's a little different!

A hymn at beginning and the end, plus the choir sings one song and last time the bell choir played a song. I really liked the service there.

HoosierCowgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone ever wondered why the Methodists have majored in bell choirs? Very cool -- seems like a lot of large Methodist churches have them.

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
HoosierCowgirl said:
Has anyone ever wondered why the Methodists have majored in bell choirs? Very cool -- seems like a lot of large Methodist churches have them.

I wonder that. I've visited other Methodist churches with the bell choirs--and now this new one has it. I like it a lot. :D

Puddle Jumper

HoosierCowgirl said:
Hmmm... the UMC I was raised in didn't have one - we probably weren't big enough. I grew up Methodist, I became rather disenchanted with their beliefs. There's something to be said for a congregation who is high on the list for pastors who support homosexuality.

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
I love bell choirs. A Methodist church in town has this "ringing of the bells" every September and I always ask to cover it. It is so beautiful.

Our church is Pentecostal - we usually start with fast, fun, upbeat songs before going into the slower, worship ones. I love Praise and Worship. It lasts about 30 minutes or so.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
We attend a huge, full-gospel church that's racially-mixed. My wife and I are in the choir, and we likewise do a mixed-bag of music: gospel, Hillsongs, praise choruses, even a Newsboys tune or two. Our son and his wife attend a UMC, but it's a different type (he says their pastor is part a group that actively fights the non-Biblical, present-day Methodist junk, and is having some success).

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
I usually prefer full choir and instruments to the "rock band" style. I like traditional hymns, particularly those that have become American folk hymns (Amazing Grace, Old Rugged Cross, etc), negro spirtuals, and the like, but I also like the older more formal stuff.

For a few years, I was in a church that did not use muscial instruments for theological reasons. They sang a lot of difficult hymns acapella and often in rounds and everyone in the congregation seemed to know what they were doing. They tended to favor the folk hymns I like too. It was like having the choir sitting around you and surrounding you. That was very moving.

The only thingIi don't much like is "praise" music, because they lyrics seem to be so dumbed-down, repetitive, and focused on "me, myself, and I." But there are more complex praise songs I have enjoyed when the band is good, as I feel it is at my current church, which has contemporary and traditional services. I usually go to the traditional service, but it's the first church I've been to where I can say I really enjoy the music at the contemporary service as well. (Because they do favor the more lyrically rich praise songs and they sing and play in more than one style--American folk, Irish folk, rock and roll, etc.) rather than just the monotonous Christian pop sound.

Last edited:

Betty W01

Empress of Cyberworld
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Our church has 6-7 songs before the service, then 1 at the end. They range from Amazing Grace to the latest Third Day or Matt Redman song, to African songs in Swahili (we have a number of Kenyan members), in various styles. Our worship band has the usual - electric guitars, drums, keyboard - but it also may include violin, acoustic guitar, bongo drums and other percussion things I don't know names for, and recorder, depending on the week and the songs.

Since words are important to me, I'm thankful that the songs we sing point our eyes to Jesus and away from us, for the most part. I dislike the "me, me, me, it's all about me" style songs some churches seem to use often.

I recently joined the worship team as a singer, after years of only performing with the choir once a year or so (I was afraid until fairly recently that singing onstage would cause me to break down into tears, as I have often done in my seat since my daughter died in 93), and I love helping lead God's people into praise and worship. It's an awesome responsibility and an enjoyable task.

I do sometimes listen to secular stuff; this past week I've been alternating some Michael Bolton CDs, the Braveheart soundtrack, a Middle East percussion music CD and an Agnus Dei choir CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.