Preferred Binding

TrixieBelden

Registered
Reaction score
If you're meeting with an agent to show him your proposal, how does he want it handed to him? Do you paper clip a 15 page proposal? Should I use a paper binder instead or punch holes in the side and use a metal bar clip? Or am I supposed to put it in a nice folder like a press package?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
DO NOT punch holes and put it into a binder unless an agent specifically asks you to. Ditto the bar clip. Present it like you would a requested partial and make it a nice stack of paper. You can carry it in a folder if you want to have something to protect it in transit, but make it one that you can easily slip the pages in and out of.

And as an aside -- You're meeting with the agent? That's very unusual, if you're in the US.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I have to agree. It's very unusual that you would bring a proposal to an in-person meeting. If it's a pitch session, like at a conference, DON'T bring pages unless it's been cleared by the conference personnel. If you're a contest winner or auction winner and the agent has already agreed to read pages, loose leaf is best, or paper clipped. A folder or envelope to carry the pages would be acceptable. You might put your contact information or tape a business card on the outside of the folder/envelope.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I'll disagree with Cathy slightly. Always bring pages, proposals, synopses, chapters, an even the entire book, if you have it. Just don't show any of it to anyone unless they ask.

But like a gun, it's a heck of a lot better to have it with you and not need it, than to need it and not have it with you.