voluntarily living as we do / Oprah, here we come!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think she went overboard with the dial-up.

Can't read the same books as her friends? Has the woman never heard of the public library?

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like giving her a good smack?

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Levine also remembered feeling humiliated when she had to ask to borrow some wax for her skis at a Vermont cross-country ski area, after leaving her kit at home.

OH MY GOD!

How humiliating!

The struggles some people have to endure, just breaks my heart. And, to think, there are starving children in some countries?

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, but as soon as I got to the part:

"her and her domestic partner, Paul the political consultant..."

I threw my hands up in disgust.

This article was obviously not targeted at those of us who dwell in the real world...

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Breaks your heart, doesn't it, the deprivations some people actually _choose_ to put themselves through? When so many around them actually live on a daily basis the lifestyle that these people are _experimenting_ with.

From moneycentral at MSN. Definitely some audience and socio-economic group that must be after Bill Gates' heart.

What I would like to know, is when those of us here who qualify can put forward a proposal to get on the Oprah show - as a group!! Now, that would be something, wouldn't it...?!

ATP

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
For work, they allowed themselves one cell phone to share, and dial-up Internet service to use at their Brooklyn walk-up and the Vermont farmhouse they retreat to in winter and summer.
Gag me.

rekirts

NOooooo!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, it was kind of interesting to me. I have a very strong desire to quit working so that I can concentrate on creative pursuits. Over the next 6 to 8 months I'm trying to cut my spending to see if I can give up my part-time job and live on what hubby gives me. He's okay with that. Even if it doesn't work out that I can quit my job, it'll probably help curb some of my reckless spending habits.

WDS

Registered
Reaction score
She just couldn't give up her 55$ haircut .... what the hell????

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Is anyone willing to pay my planeticket? I volunteer to go and smack her, hard! :)

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
She caved.

She also broke the rules later that year in a much more premeditated way, purchasing a $117 pair of pants in a Vermont boutique after receiving a barrage of compliments from its chic, flirtatious saleswoman.

“I identified with the clothes. They seemed to be speaking directly to me,” she said. And she admired the saleswoman and hated to let her down.

Like a bar patron at the end of the night, she said, “I didn’t want to go home alone.”

Unwilling to let go of the pants, she writes, “I take out my credit card. Reader, I am fallen.”

She didn't want to let down the saleswoman? This chick seeks approval in odd places.Odd place to seek approval.

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Some of the comments here - I have had a good laugh. (I can't afford to read this thread! Priceless!).

The laughs I get from some of the things people do and say here in AW is the dose of good medicine the doctor ordered. Helps to provide a bit of balance to my day.

ATP

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
This book reminds me of a book written a few years back about a girl who got so far into credit card debt, she started a website "pay my bills.com," or something like that, to pay them off.

She got the freaking things paid off.

Her shopping addiction was sick. She would buy hundreds of dollars worth of stuff at department stores, then return them the same day. The reason? Credit card companies would credit her account with the return, before charging her account for the purchase.

She got so far over her head, it was sick.

But the sick part came when hundreds of people came to her defense, and paid off her credit cards for her.

Then, she capitalized further, by writing a book.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
This is a rant.

Excuse me while I have a ‘House of Hate’ moment.. .

Why that stuck up, self-serving, over-perfumed, plastic excuse for something that might pass as a pile of camel droppings in the dark.

I’d like to see her live a life where labor and delivery are the only vacation she gets, where she has to eat Ramen noodles every meal for a week to save up money to have her car fixed, and she actually has to rely on her garden for food, because right now 1 tomato equals one gallon of gas.

Poor her, poor her, she felt marginalized because she couldn’t buy things.

Poor her, poor her, had to borrow wax for her skis.

Poor her, poor her, she was slumming so she could only buy a $117.00 pair of slacks.

That useless waste of meat space - $117.00 feeds my family of 4 for a week.

( Dumb idiot could have gone to Marshalls or Ross and gotten the exact same pair, marked down to $49.00 but I guess the thought of setting foot in one of those places was too repulsive and buying a dress at a second hand store…I bet it was asecond hand store that Katie Couric gives her clothes to…..)

I better stop before the profanity busts out.

If anyone deserves a lemon meringue pie in the face it is this person. One from each of us!

B****

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score
WDS said:
She just couldn't give up her 55$ haircut .... what the hell????

I thought the same thing! Damn, I don't think I've ever spent more than 25 for a haircut. Supercuts is good enough for most of us.

This article calls for a major eyeroll. :rolleyes:

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
If anyone deserves a lemon meringue pie in the face it is this person. One from each of us!

Don't waste lemon meringue pies that way, please! Not only can I not afford one, they're my fave! Give me the pie in the face. Puhleez? Let her suffer with a plain ol' water balloon.
I haven't spent money on new clothes in years--I go to the thrift shops and buy her discards. So I guess the $117 for pants is well spent. One day she'll decide they're not new any more and give them away, and I'll get them for $10.

Cat Scratch

The Peacock Next Door
Registered
Reaction score
This reminds me of the recent Saturday Night Live sketch with Steve Martin where he's being offered a book about how to manage your budget. The book is called "Don't Buy Sh*t You Can't Afford." And the couple in the sketch just doesn't get it. The woman asks, "Say I don't have the money. Should I buy it anyway?"

It would be sad if it weren't so hilarious.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Wizard 101- Make it FUNKY!!!

Yeshanu said:
Don't waste lemon meringue pies that way, please! Not only can I not afford one, they're my fave! Give me the pie in the face. Puhleez? Let her suffer with a plain ol' water balloon.
I haven't spent money on new clothes in years--I go to the thrift shops and buy her discards. So I guess the $117 for pants is well spent. One day she'll decide they're not new any more and give them away, and I'll get them for $10.

Ok you may have the lemon meringue pies but I'll have to have your feet.
(no, I'm not going to cut them off...)
What I want is for you to put on these absorbant socks and these non breathing rubber boots. Then I want you to hike for a few miles until your feet are really rank. While you do that, I'll make up a huge batch of lime jello witha bit of extra water so it does not set hard. We'll pour the jello into balloons.... Now that you are finished with your hike, gimmie your sweaty socks....if they are't dripping with sweat, you'll have to walk more. Now using rubber gloves, I cut the socks into little squares and drop each one into a balloon. ( How many of us are there?? Oh wow, that many?) Tie off the balloons and let them sit in a warm 70 degree is place for a week.

NOW we throw them at her.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
People like this irritate the $hit out of me. I'm frugal not because it's some kind of moral crusade, but because it allows me to spend time at home with my kids instead of working a 50-hour-a-week job like I used to. I cut the hair of everyone in my home -- including myself -- because I think it's stupid to spend $20 on a haircut, let alone the $55 this skank is whining about.

I don't have a summer farm in Vermont, and I have never had to endure the humiliation of borrowing wax for my skiis because I've never BEEN skiing -- hell, my last vacation was a drive to Florida for my grandmother's birthday, and my next one is two weeks in Wyoming in a BORROWED camper.

She's complaining about $115 for a pair of pants, when I could buy two entire outfits for that much at Old Navy, and more if I go to the thrift store or sew my own. Who the hell CARES if the saleswoman feels let down because someone didn't make a purchase?

Criminy.

People this obnoxious shouldn't be allowed to breed.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
She's an author, right? Why doesn't someone invite her to join this board where we can make her feel all warm and fuzzy. ( flails will do that to you...)

Status
Not open for further replies.