• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Taking the Plunge

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Good Typist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thegoodtypist.blogspot.com
I sent my first novel to a few trusted friends to read over four months ago, and so far, I've only gotten feedback from one, who admitted up front that he's "not the demographic" for my book. He gave scant although still helpful feedback, but the book needs a more serious going-through. After pondering this for a long time, I've decided I'm ready to go all-in and do a full "novel critique" exchange with the right person. I am looking for the following for my novel:

1. General "reader reaction" feedback
2. Thoughts on the overall story/flow/plot
3. Character feedback (the book is written in first-person present.)
4. Notes on anything that you find distracting, inconsistent, or dull.

I am willing to provide the same. I am not a great editor, but I'm perceptive and I'm a careful reader, and I would take reading your novel seriously. I'm very open to different genres, but I'm probably best suited to provide feedback on mainstream fiction, light fantasy, magical realism, or experimental styles.

I prefer gently-worded feedback, as I do not have a thick skin, and can't pretend to. I am willing to offer feedback in whatever style my fellow beta prefers.

I have, in my head, termed my novel genre "the thinking women's chick lit"--striving more for a Marian Keyes type-story than Sophia Kinsella. I don't know if that category actually exists, but here's a brief description:

Harley North once created a graphic novel that became a bit of cult hit. She has been unable to produce anything since, and is currently working as a brochure designer at a New-Agey corporate training mill. She is trying to get the sequel to her first graphic novel published, as well as latch on to a rising spoken-word star who may be helpful to her in her artistic endeavors. But the more steps she takes towards revitalizing her flagging artistic career, the more self-destructive she becomes as she makes a series of increasingly impulsive and poor decisions. Her mentorship of a young junkie teen who also has artistic ambitions begins to trigger memories of a tragedy from her past that she has spend most of her adult life running from.

It sounds serious, but I actually have tried to keep a fairly light tone throughout the book.

if this sounds like something you'd like to read, I'd be interested in hearing from you.

Thanks!

shanrock

Registered
Reaction score
I'd be willing to read and offer feedback. I'll PM you.

Status
Not open for further replies.