Walking/ Crawling through an ancient-style aqueduct - possible?

Thrasops

Registered
Reaction score
Right, well in my story there is a large raised Roman or Moorish-style aqueduct bringing water down from the mountains to a city, influenced by the Pont-du-Gard near Nimes, or the Segovia Aqueduct in Spain.

I am considering having three of the characters attempt to escape a siege via this aqueduct (which the besiegers have either overlooked or left intact, since they are capable of taking the city by force alone and would prefer to leave as much of its infrastructure as undamaged as possible for themselves).

My question is would it have been possible for people to actually enter such an aqueduct via, for example, a bath house and make their way down it without drowning, thus escaping the city unseen?

Thrasops

Registered
Reaction score
Never mind, just found a very interesting article on how Roman aqueducts were seldom more than two thirds full and had maintenance entrances scattered about to allow workmen to gain access to them....

TheCuriousOne

Registered
Reaction score
I lived in the area for a significant part of my life, and the Pont du Gard is one of my favourite places of ever. When I was a kid, we could cross the bridge in the upper part, and even climb out and stand right at the top. Then there was a massive revamp of the place, and I'm not sure you still can. But one definitely could 15 years or so ago :)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
All the aqueducts I've seen in the UK are open-topped bridges, so if you can get up to them you don't have to crawl through them: they're not pipes, they're open. I'm sure I've seen people driving (?) barges along them.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Old Hack, Roman aquaducts in other places were often enclosed. And as Thrasops has discovered, were large enough to crawl through. This was good for maintenance.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
All the aqueducts I've seen in the UK are open-topped bridges, so if you can get up to them you don't have to crawl through them: they're not pipes, they're open. I'm sure I've seen people driving (?) barges along them.
Possibly the ones you've seen are 'navigable aqueducts'? Built as part of the man-made waterway system in post-Roman Britain, chiefly for cargo transport, not water supply? Open-top is more practical for shipping by barges, while closed makes it easier to keep the water uncontaminated.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
This just shows how little I know about aqueducts. Thanks, both, for the education. I'm going to read up on them now.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
If you do a google image search for "inside a roman aqueduct" there are plenty of pictures.