Can someone link me to this old post?

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
Sometime last year I read a thread on this site. As I recall it was posted due to discussion on the fantasy board about women, and born of some people arguing that powerful/action-capable women in a medieval setting are "unrealistic".

I remember I found it very interesting, but can't remember the title or where exactly it was posted.

It had a link to this great article where a writer went talked about the overlooked place of women in war in the old days, citing many examples of women being a significant part of armies and societies with warrior women. Also, in either this particular article or one linked to it a lady writer went into her frustration over how our minds have been conditioned to go to certain places when writing female characters. The example she mentioned was about her female knight-type who had a male nemesis, and her first instincts were always to make it about past sexual assault, rather than him wronging her in some other way.

I'd really like to read all this again, in more depth. Does anyone else remember this?

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
No, I don't remember it, but I searched women warriors and it came right up.

Thread here.

Article link here.
By the way, Kameron Hurley is a reeeeally freakin' great author. Definitely read her books, if they at all sound like your cup of tea (and they might not; the Bel Dames Apocrypha trilogy is pretty violent.)

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
By the way, Kameron Hurley is a reeeeally freakin' great author. Definitely read her books, if they at all sound like your cup of tea (and they might not; the Bel Dames Apocrypha trilogy is pretty violent.)
Thanks for the tip--might check it out at some point.