Status
Not open for further replies.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
Reading is how one gets better at writing. We all know that.

Let's say I have no job and 40 hours a week of absolute free time. I only read about 3 to 4 hours total during the whole week. I have like 3 books sitting around with bookmarks in them.

This is bad, right? I used to read a lot more as a child. Now a days I play games and try to make them, I draw, I browse the internet, I nap, etc. reading is not always my too priorty.

I'm terrible. XD

Lhowling

Mischief Witch
Registered
Reaction score
You read as much as you can, or need to. There's no minimum. Hell, I have to steal reading time in between writing... which means toilet breaks and during mealtime. And I'm cutting down on how much I write in the later months to make room for reading, among other fun things I love to do.

It sounds like you have other priorities, game design being one of them. That's understandable and quite honestly if that's what you need to do right now, then do it and don't worry about whether it's right or wrong. Everyone has their own set of priorities when it comes to how much they read or write. If you don't like the fact that you're not reading enough, then make more time and cut back on activities that are not worth your attention. Of course, which activities you think are worth cutting back on is up to you.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com

Let's say I have no job and 40 hours a week of absolute free time. I only read about 3 to 4 hours total during the whole week. I have like 3 books sitting around with bookmarks in them.

This is bad, right?

Depends on what you want.

If I wanted to lose weight, my exercising maybe an hour a week at best would be bad.

If I didn't want to lose weight, then my doing other things, having priorities other than exercise, would be fine.

The only "should I be reading?" threads that make me roll my eyes are where the OP seems to want to become a better writer, but hates reading or makes up excuses why he/she can't read. If you want to be a game designer instead, go for it.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score

You get better at writing by having a good command of the language--however you do that is up to you. Reading is one way you can do that, and it's rather hard to avoid reading while writing. So, "Reading is how one can get better at writing."

I bring this up because, just reading a ton won't make you a better writer. Analyzing the writing to determine how it works, why it works, and how effectively it does work can help your writing. But if you're just speed reading through book after book, or dragging your way through them because you believe reading will somehow magically make you a better writer, it's not going to help.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it's bad. It's horrible. Unfortunately, you aren't alone. People make the same excuses for not reading as they make for not writing.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
You get better at writing by having a good command of the language--however you do that is up to you. Reading is one way you can do that, and it's rather hard to avoid reading while writing. So, "Reading is how one can get better at writing."

I bring this up because, just reading a ton won't make you a better writer. Analyzing the writing to determine how it works, why it works, and how effectively it does work can help your writing. But if you're just speed reading through book after book, or dragging your way through them because you believe reading will somehow magically make you a better writer, it's not going to help.

Writing fiction has only a little bit to do with command of language. It's more about story and character, pace and flow, mood and tone, etc. I don't think anyone mentioned speed reading, but if you don't read, and read often, you'll never be a good writer. It simply is not going to happen.

Reading a ton most certainly will make you a far better writer, and not much of anything else will.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't joking about learning through osmosis. Besides learning new trivia, when you read a lot, you get used to how things should properly look. This is why it can get confusing when, for instance, many characters' actions are lumped together into one paragraph. We don't know who's doing what. What we're used to seeing is that each character's actions gets put into their own paragraph. The breaks give the brain that cue that it's switched to another character.

Reading also helps you develop that ear for rhythm in the written word.

You don't HAVE to read a lot. But if you don't, writing is going to be much, much harder. And if writing is not your priority, that's your choice. Ain't nothing wrong in that.

P.S. I hate reading. Yes, I said it. But I still did a lot of reading.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I adore reading. Why, I swear I prefer it to breathing. But if I beat myself up each time I couldn't afford the time to read...I'd be black and blue. I just had a novel come out this month and I have another coming out on the 19th. And I have three novels nearing completion...and an agent looking for one of them to be delivered to her.

Honestly, the only time I've been able to read lately is when I'm on the subway. So, I'm reading about half and hour a week at the moment. Believe me, I'd love to beat myself up over this. Black and blue. I miss it so much. It's true...you really do get better at writing the more you read. I feel I'm suffering for not reading. When I try to read at night, I just pass out. Going to bed at 2ish and waking up at 4:30. I'm falling asleep in my life. Opening a book, unless I'm STANDING up in the subway, is a sign to fall asleep.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I bring this up because, just reading a ton won't make you a better writer.

It depends. One of the reasons I write as well as I do is because I was, from a very young age, a voracious reader. I inhaled books. But I never analyzed them, not until forced to in English class.

However, because of all that reading, I learned (absorbed, really) what a story is. I learned the rhythms and rules of language. I learned vocabulary. I learned the sound of good dialogue (and bad, too).

I didn't know all that was taking root, but I certainly reaped the harvest later on. And continue to reap it.

I'm not sure this holds true for everyone. Not everyone who reads a lot has the aptitude for or even an interest in writing. But I do think most good writers are also good and enthusiastic readers.

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Yeah...the way I look at it, the more one reads the more one SEES the scaffolding of story. I truly believe it matters. I believe reading a ton WILL make you a better writer...if, indeed, you are wired to be a writer. Writing in a tunnel-like cone of self-induced I'm-wonderful-and-I-don't-need-to-read-to-write-amazing-shit silence is a recipe for disaster. I've seen the outcome...when 'writers' say they don't read. Inevitably, it shows in their writing.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Lhowling said:
It sounds like you have other priorities, game design being one of them. That's understandable and quite honestly if that's what you need to do right now, then do it and don't worry about whether it's right or wrong. Everyone has their own set of priorities when it comes to how much they read or write. If you don't like the fact that you're not reading enough, then make more time and cut back on activities that are not worth your attention. Of course, which activities you think are worth cutting back on is up to you.

I don't *need* to design games, but it sure is fun. And I have plenty of time to read, and I don't actually hate reading. I actually have no idea why I just don't and instead do other things. Right now I'm looking at books and putting some on my to-read list. o.o

Marian Perera said:
If you want to be a game designer instead, go for it.

The thought of writing a book and completing it, still excites me. So there's no *instead*, really. It's just... I don't know.

I don't know what I'm talking about.

chompers said:
I wasn't joking about learning through osmosis. Besides learning new trivia, when you read a lot, you get used to how things should properly look. This is why it can get confusing when, for instance, many characters' actions are lumped together into one paragraph. We don't know who's doing what. What we're used to seeing is that each character's actions gets put into their own paragraph. The breaks give the brain that cue that it's switched to another character.

Reading also helps you develop that ear for rhythm in the written word.

You don't HAVE to read a lot. But if you don't, writing is going to be much, much harder. And if writing is not your priority, that's your choice. Ain't nothing wrong in that.

At least I read a little? o.o Right? It feels like I learn things while reading, but as I've mentioned in another thread, I forget most of it.

My brain likes to create a little paradox where I realize... "If I read a lot of badly written books, yet I still enjoy them, then won't my writing be just as bad too?"

Jamesaritchie said:
Writing fiction has only a little bit to do with command of language. It's more about story and character, pace and flow, mood and tone, etc. I don't think anyone mentioned speed reading, but if you don't read, and read often, you'll never be a good writer. It simply is not going to happen.

Reading a ton most certainly will make you a far better writer, and not much of anything else will.

It's probably why I'm no good (contrary of people saying I AM). I can't remember the pose, pace, flow, etc. of anything. I kind of just... write. o.o

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Just this morning in another thread, Old Hack wrote
You must read, both widely and deeply, if you want to write. There's no way around this.

If you do not read both deeply and widely, you cannot have the tools necessary to write with any depth yourself. You won't have the mastery of language to evoke time, place, or emotion in your scenes. So, yes, a strong command of the language is vital when writing fiction.

If your reading time is limited, then read with purpose. Mark or make note of those sentence fragments and passages that pulled you into the story, that set the scene for you, that made you see, feel, and taste; and teach yourself how to incorporate that into your own work. It will make your own writing richer. If you would write well, you must read.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
The thought of writing a book and completing it, still excites me. So there's no *instead*, really. It's just... I don't know.

The thought of putting on scuba diving equipment and getting into a shark cage excites me.

On the other hand, I can't dive, have never worn scuba gear, have never so much as touched a shark cage, and have no concrete plans to do so in the near future. I've got other priorities at the moment.

IMO, it's fine to have castles-in-the-sky ideas like "one day I'll design a gorgeous wedding dress" or "one day I'll write an interesting book". It really depends on what you want.

If you're not sure what you want, then that's different from "I want to be a good writer, but I don't want to read".

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I want to write, but I just don't read as much as I want to. I like looking at books, smelling them, and touching their covers. I enjoy opening them up and looking at the words and taking in the wonderful stories. And I like how they aren't as restrictive as TV or games.

I just can't seem to force myself to sit down and read as much as I can. I have so much time I could probably finish 3 books a week if I tried, but I just don't. I have no idea why.

I finished a book last week, and I loved it. I read the blurbs of so many books and I'm like "this sounds awesome".

Actually, I realize that when I read, then write, I get more excited and confident to sit down and write.

Right now, I feel like my ideas are dried up. Like I'm having trouble thinking of how to make things *make sense*. The last time I read was a couple of days ago. My 800 page "in-between" book. XD

Lhowling

Mischief Witch
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry if I inferred your love of game design as a need. I just noticed you mentioned it on a couple of other threads and it suggests to me that it may take up more time for you... which is okay. Everyone has their respective interests. You just have to make the most of your time when you write.

I want to write, but I just don't read as much as I want to.

Do you feel like you need to read more in order to write?

I like looking at books, smelling them, and touching their covers. I enjoy opening them up and looking at the words and taking in the wonderful stories. And I like how they aren't as restrictive as TV or games.

I like the smells of old books. Particularly library books. The process of opening a book is definitely part of the reading experience. Do you put any of that energy into focusing on the writing used to make the story you're reading wonderful? I know you mentioned you had trouble with memorizing; do you feel distracted by other things that it makes it hard to focus on the writing itself?

I just can't seem to force myself to sit down and read as much as I can. I have so much time I could probably finish 3 books a week if I tried, but I just don't. I have no idea why.

Actually, I realize that when I read, then write, I get more excited and confident to sit down and write.

Well, forcing yourself isn't going to help! Reading can be as isolating as writing, so you have to approach it as a relaxing, leisurely habit instead of a chore. Any other way will make it less enjoyable and, thus, make you less likely to read.

Also, is there a particular reason why you need to read that many books a week as opposed to, say, 3 books per month? You could learn to speed read; but I don't know how helpful it can be if you can't take something away that is a skill used to improve your writing. For me, I can only maybe do a book a month. But, it gives me time to absorb what I've read. Like you, I also get so inspired from reading a passage. I can't help but put the book down and begin to write. That makes finishing the book drag on for a few more days or weeks. But, it's obviously helping me so why try and rush?

If I could absorb what I learn from reading faster, I would. But it isn't a priority for me. Does it need to be a priority to you?

Right now, I feel like my ideas are dried up. Like I'm having trouble thinking of how to make things *make sense*.

Personally, I find the more that I read or write the more ideas I get. I also tend to be more conceptual; themes fascinate me and I use stories to explore the themes that get me off. That's usually why I need to write an outline and scenes so I don't go on a tangent. Anywho, I become as familiar with those themes as I can be. Research plays a big role in writing and can help you come up with ideas for your stories. For example, if you're fascinated by the paranormal, read up on obituaries or the horoscopes in the local newspaper. Go to the library and look up ghost stories or infamous crimes committed in your neighborhood... or any hood for that matter! There are many places you can go to get ideas. But, if you think too much about how to get those ideas, or how much of them you're getting, then you're distracting yourself. And distraction can be a time waster.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Well, reading only 3-4 hours a week may be more or less bad depending on how fast you read.

Also I think you have to be more careful on what you designate as reading. Is the only useful reading reading fiction? Because, I mean, you're reading my post right now. If you spend a lot of time online, you probably spend a lot of time reading.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
^^ I read fiction mostly within the genre I wish to write, as well as books that simply interest me no matter the genre. :D

Lhowling is right, though. I read, and it may not be all the time or as much, but I still do, and I do it because I want to. o.o

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Though reading is important, I think there's an over-emphasis at times on sheer quantity of reading... which can be daunting for anyone who doesn't read that quickly. There's nothing wrong with being a slower reader or needing breaks between books, as long as you are reading on a regular basis.

There's a big difference between "I don't really have to read as a writer, do I?" and "I like to read, but I don't read as much as some people." You seem to be in the latter category, which isn't a problem. I don't read as much as some people either, but I am reading.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
You know what's really not good? Beating yourself up.

All self-criticism accomplishes is making you feel bad, which demoralizes you, which negatively impacts your ability to do anything. It actually makes things worse, to berate yourself.

So don't do that. And congratulations -- you read regularly! You know how many people don't do that at all? You are awesome!

As for whether you need to read more? No, you don't, but it might put you at a handicap if you don't. But so what? We all have things that get in the way of reaching our full potential, and congratulations again! The thing you're worried about is something you can easily work on. You're lucky! This is a good thing.

Read and write. Every little bit helps. Don't disparage yourself ever, because everything you do is helping, no exceptions. Every step you take, no matter how small, is a step in the right direction. Congratulate yourself for every one, because there is no merit at all in scolding yourself for successes just because they were small successes.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
You know what's really not good? Beating yourself up.

All self-criticism accomplishes is making you feel bad, which demoralizes you, which negatively impacts your ability to do anything. It actually makes things worse, to berate yourself.

So don't do that. And congratulations -- you read regularly! You know how many people don't do that at all? You are awesome!

As for whether you need to read more? No, you don't, but it might put you at a handicap if you don't. But so what? We all have things that get in the way of reaching our full potential, and congratulations again! The thing you're worried about is something you can easily work on. You're lucky! This is a good thing.

Read and write. Every little bit helps. Don't disparage yourself ever, because everything you do is helping, no exceptions. Every step you take, no matter how small, is a step in the right direction. Congratulate yourself for every one, because there is no merit at all in scolding yourself for successes just because they were small successes.

I don't know that I would say never be disappointed that you aren't doing more of something you want when there's no valid excuse not to do whatever it is. It isn't whether you think about how you should be reading more, practicing your swordsmanship more etc., and feeling crappy for not doing so which is the issue. The issue is what you do to make yourself feel better. Do you wallow and go on doing the same thing, therefore just waiting for the next wave of failure to hit? Or do you instead do something to change the action, making yourself feel better in the process?

Deciding to change an action, and making a plan of attack to fix said thing is actually very soothing. The hard part is sticking to whatever you've come up with.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
My brain likes to create a little paradox where I realize... "If I read a lot of badly written books, yet I still enjoy them, then won't my writing be just as bad too?"

Not nessecarily. What exactly is a good or well written book? I find the best are those with good prose, good pacing, characterization, setting, and story. But something can have crappy prose and still draw people in. That's what I think of Twilight. Her prose, research, and reasoning seems shoddy to me. Not to mention Bella the cardboard cut out. But the people I know who like it despite acknowledging these issues with it when discussed say the story itself is good. If nothing else, that is what you learn from a bad book. What the writer did right, because they did something right or people wouldn't actually enjoy it, and what they did wrong. Being able to identify such things in another persons writing helps do so in your own.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
In my more youthful less chronologically successful days, I was a basketball player. You want to know how you learn to play basketball?

1. You play a hell of a lot of basketball.
2. You watch others, who are good at it, play a hell of a lot of basketball.

You need any more advice about how to become better at writing?

caw

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you want to write, write.

If you don't want to, don't.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Not to be cruel, but if you want to write, your mind will find ways to let you do it. Maybe not all the time, but enough. The act of writing is as much a learned skill as cooking. Once you demystify the process and learn how to take it in small steps, it's easier.

Reading a lot is part of it, but only if you figured out how to dissect both your reading and how you react to it. Games, movies, and television can help teach some aspects of storytelling, so I don't think you should beat yourself up about that, either.

For me, it boiled down to recognizing the difference between loving the moments I spent writing, and my longing to have written something tangible. Once I got over the latter, it actually became possible.

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know that I would say never be disappointed that you aren't doing more of something you want when there's no valid excuse not to do whatever it is. It isn't whether you think about how you should be reading more, practicing your swordsmanship more etc., and feeling crappy for not doing so which is the issue. The issue is what you do to make yourself feel better. Do you wallow and go on doing the same thing, therefore just waiting for the next wave of failure to hit? Or do you instead do something to change the action, making yourself feel better in the process?

Deciding to change an action, and making a plan of attack to fix said thing is actually very soothing. The hard part is sticking to whatever you've come up with.

I think it depends on the individual how soothing it is...;)

Sometimes, you decide to change, make a plan, follow through with said plan, and then feel relief for a moment before you decide that really wasn't good enough. And over and over and so forth and so on.

I have sometimes found that my plans of attack don't actually fix whatever I'm trying to fix, or they get me so far and then I'm in a hole again, which is the opposite of soothing; but I'm also not exactly the soundest of mind ;)

So...well. It depends. :D Sometimes the problem is reconciling expectation with action and that's enough, but sometimes the problem is the expectation itself. Internal settings and stuff. It's hard to say for another person :) But you're right, it is worth pointing out that making a plan and following through can be quite beneficial, depending on other circumstances.

To the OP: Reading a few hours a week sounds fine to me. I actually spend most of my time not reading (fiction, anyway; I read little non-fiction articles and such--which, don't exclude nonfiction entirely; it's quite fascinating :D), and then go through binge periods. In the interim, I critique stuff and I write stuff and I try to work out the plotting of writing stuff.

Although--I'm not exactly a paragon of success over here. :D Perhaps a bad example.

I dunno. As long as you're reading, I think, you're taking those necessary steps.

The thought of putting on scuba diving equipment and getting into a shark cage excites me.

On the other hand, I can't dive, have never worn scuba gear, have never so much as touched a shark cage, and have no concrete plans to do so in the near future. I've got other priorities at the moment.

You don't have to know how to dive and the scuba equipment is minimal-ish. :D Well, at least on the boat I went on--the regulator is just attached to a hose that goes up to the boat, rather than tanks on your back; you're right below the surface of the water. You don't have to bother about stuff like buoyancy and decompression and whatnot ;) (Though I still needed the Valsalva maneuver :p )

'Course you may be talking about something else...but don't let lack of diving knowledge stop you if all you want is the cage and the sharks :D (The expense might stop you, though, depending on where you live and where you want to go...my savings account went bye-bye :p )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.