TO WHOM DO I ADDRESS THIS MESSAGE....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigbunny

Registered
Reaction score
Question for you:

I know the technical answer as to when to use WHO vs. WHOM, or WHOEVER vs. WHOMEVER, but as I thought about it, I don't recall seeing WHOM or WHOMEVER in my reading lately.

Is there a shift in contemporary fiction away from the proper use of WHOM/WHOMEVER?

Thanks.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sure. If the narrator's voice is casual, or the speaker of the dialogue informal, it's going to reflect how people actually speak rather than what's grammatically correct.

When somebody calls on the phone and asks to speak to the person who answered, I bet less than one percent says, "It is I." The rest say, "It's me," even though that is technically incorrect. I'm certainly not going to stick "It is I" in my character's mouth. Are you?

Maryn, whose mom dodged the bullet with "This is she" (and sounded all hoity-toity doing it)

Bigbunny

Registered
Reaction score
True. I'd never use whom/whomever in dialogue. So I guess it's OK to use who/whoever in the narrative without being called on it?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh. Similarly, my last beta reader tried to correct the grammer in the dialogue of my 14-year-old & 12-year-old (mindset) characters. She changed "who"s to "whom"s & rearranged sentences ending in prepositions so that they read much more formally.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn said:
When somebody calls on the phone and asks to speak to the person who answered, I bet less than one percent says, "It is I." The rest say, "It's me," even though that is technically incorrect.
The correct phone phrase is "This is she." "It is I" is a reply to "Who's there?" in a knock-knock situation.

On the phone, I resort to "Speaking" or "This is Ms. ____" so I won't sound like an uneducated idiot or an overeducated idiot. Often I'm spared the choice because I'm instead telling the caller the correct pronunciation of my name.

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Scene - the gates of Heaven:

Knock, knock...

'Who's there?'

'It is I.'

'Oh, Christ. Not another bloody English teacher!'

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Maryn said:
Sure. If the narrator's voice is casual, or the speaker of the dialogue informal, it's going to reflect how people actually speak rather than what's grammatically correct.

When somebody calls on the phone and asks to speak to the person who answered, I bet less than one percent says, "It is I." The rest say, "It's me," even though that is technically incorrect. I'm certainly not going to stick "It is I" in my character's mouth. Are you?

Maryn, whose mom dodged the bullet with "This is she" (and sounded all hoity-toity doing it)

Yep, your mom got it right.

As for dialogue, it simply must reflect the character. If the character is someone who would say "whom," then you have to use "whom." If not, you use "who."

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
If your character is a picky, self-conscious person who's insecure about grammar and etiquette, you can have her say "This is she – pardon me, I mean I – no, I mean me – I mean, this is LaVerne speaking" until the caller hangs up. It was probably a telemarketer anyway.

Bigbunny

Registered
Reaction score
reph said:
If your character is a picky, self-conscious person who's insecure about grammar and etiquette, you can have her say "This is she – pardon me, I mean I – no, I mean me – I mean, this is LaVerne speaking"

LOLOLOL, this sounds like my character!

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Writers are advised to listen to real people to find out how they talk. I got a surprise today when I called the hair salon. Usually the owner answers. A woman answered with the name of the salon. I said "I'd like to make an appointment with Kim" (name changed for privacy). The voice said "This is she." It didn't sound far-fetched. I wouldn't have given it a second thought but for this recent discussion.

Akuma

Rare Writer Pokemon
Registered
Reaction score
reph said:
Writers are advised to listen to real people to find out how they talk. I got a surprise today when I called the hair salon. Usually the owner answers. A woman answered with the name of the salon. I said "I'd like to make an appointment with Kim" (name changed for privacy). The voice said "This is she." It didn't sound far-fetched. I wouldn't have given it a second thought but for this recent discussion.

What if your name is Kim, and you only said that to throw us off?

Huh?

Huh?!

Yeah, sorry, I'm kind of bored.

Class dismissed.

Akuma

Rare Writer Pokemon
Registered
Reaction score
You're all going to jump down my throat for this one but I am seriously having a brain-fart right now.

"Whose" is the possessive one, right?

Akuma <--- an extremely paranoid and needy person.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Akuma said:
What if your name is Kim, and you only said that to throw us off?
My name isn't Kim, but the reason for using that name is that the hairdresser's name isn't Kim.

"Whose" is the possessive form of "who" as an interrogative pronoun and of "which."

kybudman

Resident Magician
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kybudman.com
"May I please speak with M***** Fields, please?" (Using my given name is a killer clue that tells me the caller does NOT know me)

In self defense, my answer to the caller is: "This is." I let them finish it. Sometimes, I have to wait while their minds complete the thought. But it works.

I think this started in the same mall as "We're going to the Malt Shoppe. Do you wanna go with?" (ackkkkkkkkk)

Bud

Chickenchargrill

Registered
Reaction score
If someone phones and asks, "Is that Victoria *****?" I always just say 'it is'.

If someone asks.. "Could I speak to Victoria *****?" I just say, "You can."

Hold on, that's no strictly true, if someone asks for 'Victoria' I say no and hang up. If they say Vicky, then I'll wait to see who it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.